Tommy's throwing motion

Pwnyboy

Maybe this is already fairly obvious, but it seems to me that Tommy will never flourish in a quick passing attack due to his long wind up and release. I feel like Tommy has to sling the ball like a rocket to get it off in time for the route and it just makes for an inaccurate or uncatchable ball.

His bigger problem, imo, is getting his feet and body set. Too often he's throwing off his back foot, not squaring up his hips or setting his feet.

It's why, by nature, throwing on the run is typically less accurate than throwing from the pocket. It's awkward when you're not giving your body time to set.

• Fire 1

Oh, I think Tommy has gotten much better. And also, he is now playing in a far more sophisticated system than he was in his last two years. There's a lot of credit to be given here.

It's just with these areas of his mechanics, total transformation is unlikely. And it's not unusual. Especially with QBs who have always been more about their athleticism and running than pure throwing, you'll get a grab bag of various inconsistencies and mechanical issues. It's why so many college QBs either don't translate to the pro game, or might ultimately change it.

• Fire 1

I remember Boomer Esiason (think it was him) at the beginning of the year talking about Tebow saying, "You can either throw it or you can't". Basically pointing out that no matter how hard you work on a quarterback's mechanics in college or the pros, they will revert to how they grew up throwing. For instance look at Collin Kaepernick. The 49'ers have tried to make him a better pocket passer, but it's clearly not working. He is who he is, he's going to throw 100 mph fastballs like he always has. Philip Rivers has one of the ugliest throwing motions in football, but he's actually able to make it work. No QB coach would recommend someone throwing the way Rivers does, pictured below the comparison from college to NFL basically no change in his motion. Basically what I'm trying to get at is don't hold your breath on Tommy Armstrong changing his throwing motion. How he throws is how he's always going to throw, to try and change that muscle memory he's developed over his life is a waste of time. Just have to work with what he can do.

Rivers-throwing-NC-State.jpeg

Rivers-throwing-motion-blue.jpeg