LB David Reese [Florida - Signed LOI]

Mavric

Bottom line is Nebraska can't close on anyone that has offers from other "top" programs. The trend has been that the ones we do get they end up busting.

Nebraska's best players recently have been players that were recruited to other top programs for a different position. Then NU lets them play the position they want to and they end up good. Only so many of those kinds of kids.

If you are a recruit and you are being recruited by NU and other top flight programs. Why in God's name do you go to Lincoln? It is what it is. If Tom Osborne didn't know how to develop players, then NU's history would be just like Iowa's.

We're lucky to have caught lightning in a bottle (TO)

Bottom line is Nebraska can't close on anyone that has offers from other "top" programs. The trend has been that the ones we do get they end up busting.

Nebraska's best players recently have been players that were recruited to other top programs for a different position. Then NU lets them play the position they want to and they end up good. Only so many of those kinds of kids.

If you are a recruit and you are being recruited by NU and other top flight programs. Why in God's name do you go to Lincoln? It is what it is. If Tom Osborne didn't know how to develop players, then NU's history would be just like Iowa's.

We're lucky to have caught lightning in a bottle (TO)

I think we had a coach named Bob that might be confused by this ^

• Fire 1

Fact is, when we look at a head coach we have to really make sure hes a great recruiter and teacher. Fact is, in todays day and age of college football, Nebraska will need to start writing BIG checks to get in the kind of coach that can get us back to prominence. Jmo.

Sorry Zoogs, but the "give them a few cycles before we evaluate" isn't only laughable, it is detrimental. I'm not saying they can't recruit, but that philosophy is dangerous. If they don't close out this season strong, I don't expect anything special any time soon.

Also, trying to play off this loss doesn't really work. Looks like we're settling on plan C, and Epley's comments on talent come right back into play. Can't win when your talent is inferior.

Sorry Zoogs, but the "give them a few cycles before we evaluate" isn't only laughable, it is detrimental. I'm not saying they can't recruit, but that philosophy is dangerous. If they don't close out this season strong, I don't expect anything special any time soon.

Also, trying to play off this loss doesn't really work. Looks like we're settling on plan C, and Epley's comments on talent come right back into play. Can't win when your talent is inferior.

You are spot on Atbone. This staff already blew their chance to get off to a good start in its first season on the field, and if they finish below the top 20 in recruiting, it will be another disappoint, and I would say failure if they finish outside the top 25.

What I don't understand is that Riley said in August I believe that they are way deep at LB and need 6 or 7 more LB's to run the defense they are hoping to run. So far we have 2 LB recruits. Now maybe they won't end up taking 6 or 7, but I would suspect they need to get to 4 or 5. Who else with Reese's talent level will be able to fill the remaining LB spots?

If LB is not a need, I don't want any player of lessor value then Reece. Of course you would take Laguins I don't know if any other LB fits.

I'm disappointed we missed out. I wanted this one.

Hey Mark-The reality is that LB is a major need. Riley stated at the beginning of last season that they needed 6 or 7 more LBs to truly run the defense they would like to. We have 2 LB recruits to date, so it would seem a minimum of 3 more. This is why Reese was such a big loss....are there 3 other comparable LBs out there we can land? Hopefully this staff is onto this talent and is not going to settle for lesser talent.

If LB is not a need, I don't want any player of lessor value then Reece. Of course you would take Laguins I don't know if any other LB fits.

Hey Mark-The reality is that LB is a major need. Riley stated at the beginning of last season that they needed 6 or 7 more LBs to truly run the defense they would like to. We have 2 LB recruits to date, so it would seem a minimum of 3 more. This is why Reese was such a big loss....are there 3 other comparable LBs out there we can land? Hopefully this staff is onto this talent and is not going to settle for lesser talent.

I might be wrong here but pretty sure Riley included edge rushers in the 6-7 so he isn't looking for 6-7 true linebackers but a combo of 6-7 OLB rushers/defensive ends

Not according to the many folks on the board that I follow in the recruiting forum ... their comeback is that it is not a position of need. So, if that is true then I don't want offers going to lessor players. If what you are saying is true then fine ... but still, I see offers going on for 2** LB's then I'm not all that excited about it and will submit a "fail". We already have a pretty poor recruiting class overall ... it's good for the crappy season we had but nothing that gets us back to respectability unless POB is some amazing stud that steps in and plays 5-star football and becomes some amazing Freshman sensation.

Not according to the many folks on the board that I follow in the recruiting forum ... their comeback is that it is not a position of need. So, if that is true then I don't want offers going to lessor players. If what you are saying is true then fine ... but still, I see offers going on for 2** LB's then I'm not all that excited about it and will submit a "fail". We already have a pretty poor recruiting class overall ... it's good for the crappy season we had but nothing that gets us back to respectability unless POB is some amazing stud that steps in and plays 5-star football and becomes some amazing Freshman sensation.

Just commenting on the need part. 2 months ago we had the 4 LB'ers we "needed". But then Johnson didn't qualify and Domann switched to SS.
  • 4 weeks later...