I think Houston is going to be joining the Big 12 within the next couple of years and they want to have a guy like Herman in place.

Houston does nothing for the Big 12 financially. Nothing.

If the 12 is going to expand, its going to be in new markets. Think some combination of BYU/Cincinnati/UCF/USF/Memphis.

I was involved in a twitter discussion regarding Houston to the Big 12. Most people think Texas would block Houston to the Big 12. I don't see the Big 12 wanting another Texas school. Cincinnati seems like a logical choice. Mike'l Severe responded to me with UCF. A lot of schools don't want to put up with BYU's scheduling requirements and their rules of no games on Sundays.

I think the ACC has a better shot at taking Cincinnati, UCF, USF, or Memphis to go to 16. And there will be one other Texas school in the Big 12 when it is all said and done.

This, of course requires the Big 12 to remain intact. Which I am suspicious of.

The Big XII would take Houston only for the fact that they lost any official foothold of the Houston TV market with aTm going to the SEC. This move at least allows the Big XII to claim Houston as a media city. Hell, it's why CSU/Air Force are viable expansion candidates--their inclusion would allow the Big XII to claim the Denver TV market again.

But yeah, this would require the Big XII to remain intact and agree on two new candidates for expansion. And considering Oklahoma has voiced their high standards in who they want in (possibly so they have an excuse in place to jump ship if they don't like the additions/conference), I doubt agreement on expansion candidates will happen.

I think Houston is going to be joining the Big 12 within the next couple of years and they want to have a guy like Herman in place.

Houston does nothing for the Big 12 financially. Nothing.

If the 12 is going to expand, its going to be in new markets. Think some combination of BYU/Cincinnati/UCF/USF/Memphis.

I was involved in a twitter discussion regarding Houston to the Big 12. Most people think Texas would block Houston to the Big 12. I don't see the Big 12 wanting another Texas school. Cincinnati seems like a logical choice. Mike'l Severe responded to me with UCF. A lot of schools don't want to put up with BYU's scheduling requirements and their rules of no games on Sundays.

I think the ACC has a better shot at taking Cincinnati, UCF, USF, or Memphis to go to 16. And there will be one other Texas school in the Big 12 when it is all said and done.

This, of course requires the Big 12 to remain intact. Which I am suspicious of.

The Big XII would take Houston only for the fact that they lost any official foothold of the Houston TV market with aTm going to the SEC. This move at least allows the Big XII to claim Houston as a media city. Hell, it's why CSU/Air Force are viable expansion candidates--their inclusion would allow the Big XII to claim the Denver TV market again.

But yeah, this would require the Big XII to remain intact and agree on two new candidates for expansion. And considering Oklahoma has voiced their high standards in who they want in (possibly so they have an excuse in place to jump ship if they don't like the additions/conference), I doubt agreement on expansion candidates will happen.

Who does OU want?

The AD didn't specify schools...but the implication was that they want two high-quality expansion candidates both in academics and athletics. That there no current candidates (any of the potential candidates for Big XII expansion) that possess any sort of pedigree, save for BYU, pretty much means OU will turn their nose up at most folks.

All in all, it's a dance that will come to a head if Texass bolts for the Pac-12 or Oklahoma decides to pull the trigger on a B1G invite.

The AD didn't specify schools...but the implication was that they want two high-quality expansion candidates both in academics and athletics. That there no current candidates (any of the potential candidates for Big XII expansion) that possess any sort of pedigree, save for BYU, pretty much means OU will turn their nose up at most folks.

All in all, it's a dance that will come to a head if Texass bolts for the Pac-12 or Oklahoma decides to pull the trigger on a B1G invite.

OU will not be accepted to the BIG short of appeasing UT. And that's not going to happen either.

• 2 weeks later...

With it looking like Herman has agreed to a fat raise and is probably staying I have to wonder if he's a linchpin in a deal for Houston being let into the 12. It seems weird that Houston would suddenly be throwing around huge money and that Herman would take a pass on South Carolina and shut things down when his name is so hot. I could see them saying to him we'll pay you 3million to stay longer while we see if we can close a deal. We get in you get yet another raise.

The Houston prez did get a recent visit from the WV prez.

With it looking like Herman has agreed to a fat raise and is probably staying I have to wonder if he's a linchpin in a deal for Houston being let into the 12. It seems weird that Houston would suddenly be throwing around huge money and that Herman would take a pass on South Carolina and shut things down when his name is so hot. I could see them saying to him we'll pay you 3million to stay longer while we see if we can close a deal. We get in you get yet another raise.

Possibly, but I'm thinking it's more just him not liking any of the openings out there, and being confident in his abilities that he'll be a hot ticket item next year as well. He has the best recruiting class in the AAC so far. Personally, I didn't see him as a good fit at Georgia, USC or South Carolina. If the Texas job opens up next year (or who knows, later this year) then I can see him moving on.

OU will not be accepted to the BIG short of appeasing UT. And that's not going to happen either.

Oklahoma is going to do their own thing if they want--I think they've seen the folly in hitching their schooner to Texass. And frankly, they're close enough and successful enough that they can waltz into Texass and grab kids that they want, regardless of P-5 conference they belong to.

And Houston is one of those schools that appears to be the front-runner for getting a Big XII invite...and that Oklahoma isn't too fond of, to say the least. Perhaps that will change if Texass exerts pressure or if Oklahoma wins a NC coming from the now-Big XII...?

I would be led to believe that Houston wouldn't pay their coach that much money to dominate a league that has almost no chance of ever competing for the national championship. There has to be more behind it.

Maybe the B1G should look at them so they can get BTN into Texas and compete H2H against the LHN

That's the thing. I don't see Houston straining their budget to maybe get an AAC trophy and keep Herman a little longer. Rather than just ending-up as a stepping-stone yet again I think they're trying to use Herman as theirs' to become the next Baylor or TCU in the 12.

I think Houston is holding out to hopefully get an offer from the Big12.

Big12 would be dumb to not go after Houston and Memphis in my opinion.

From a television market $$$$$ point of view, I don't think the Big 12 would do themselves any favors by going after another Texas school. Way too many from that state already.

• Fire 1