A leading candidate has emerged for the open South Carolina job.

University of Houston head coach Tom Herman is the clear leading candidate for the vacant Gamecocks job, according to multiple sources.
Herman has been on the radar of South Carolina athletics director Ray Tanner since 2012, his first as offensive coordinator at Ohio State under Urban Meyer.
Herman, in his first year as the head coach of the Cougars, is 8-0 this season and has Houston ranked in the top 25. He's defeated an Atlantic Coast Conference opponent (Louisville, 34-31) and a Southeastern Conference opponent (Vanderbilt, 34-0) this season.
If the job gets past Herman, then Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, Texas head coach Charlie Strong and Memphis head coach Justin Fuente could enter the mix.

A leading candidate has emerged for the open South Carolina job.

University of Houston head coach Tom Herman is the clear leading candidate for the vacant Gamecocks job, according to multiple sources.
Herman has been on the radar of South Carolina athletics director Ray Tanner since 2012, his first as offensive coordinator at Ohio State under Urban Meyer.
Herman, in his first year as the head coach of the Cougars, is 8-0 this season and has Houston ranked in the top 25. He's defeated an Atlantic Coast Conference opponent (Louisville, 34-31) and a Southeastern Conference opponent (Vanderbilt, 34-0) this season.
If the job gets past Herman, then Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, Texas head coach Charlie Strong and Memphis head coach Justin Fuente could enter the mix.

Selling Charlie Strong could be difficult considering what he's done at Texas, but I view his situation a lot like how it was with Rich Rod at Michigan. I think he'll definitely be successful wherever he goes next.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Houston is going to be joining the Big 12 within the next couple of years and they want to have a guy like Herman in place.

Houston does nothing for the Big 12 financially. Nothing.

If the 12 is going to expand, its going to be in new markets. Think some combination of BYU/Cincinnati/UCF/USF/Memphis.

• Fire 1

I think Houston is going to be joining the Big 12 within the next couple of years and they want to have a guy like Herman in place.

If the 12 is going to expand, its going to be in new markets. Think some combination of BYU/Cincinnati/UCF/USF/Memphis.

I was involved in a twitter discussion regarding Houston to the Big 12. Most people think Texas would block Houston to the Big 12. I don't see the Big 12 wanting another Texas school. Cincinnati seems like a logical choice. Mike'l Severe responded to me with UCF. A lot of schools don't want to put up with BYU's scheduling requirements and their rules of no games on Sundays.

I was involved in a twitter discussion regarding Houston to the Big 12. Most people think Texas would block Houston to the Big 12. I don't see the Big 12 wanting another Texas school. Cincinnati seems like a logical choice. Mike'l Severe responded to me with UCF. A lot of schools don't want to put up with BYU's scheduling requirements and their rules of no games on Sundays.

I think the ACC has a better shot at taking Cincinnati, UCF, USF, or Memphis to go to 16. And there will be one other Texas school in the Big 12 when it is all said and done.

This, of course requires the Big 12 to remain intact. Which I am suspicious of.