Sherman: Fan Apathy Bigger Threat Than Losing

Mavric

I think fan apathy is sort of happening.

How many of you have plans for the game this weekend? How many of you are working on making plans for the game? How many of you are okay if you miss it or some of it for something else?

I texted 5 friends about doing something for the game Saturday. I have one response so far: "Hopefully not watching the Nebraska-Purdue game...that has to be the worst game this weekend"

Sounds like you have friends that aren't real NU fans.
my father has had season tickets since 2001 and on average probably misses one game a year, usually for family events. He's never left a game early; blowout win or blowout loss. He stays till the last second ticks off of the clock. In 2007 him and I only missed the Oklahoma state game despite the cirmustances that year. This year he was on the verge of selling the rest of his tickets after the wisky game, and then Minnesota happened and he came to the game last weekend.

At this point, he feels like there's better ways he can spend his time than drive 3 and a half hours from Des Moines to watch an almost guaranteed less than 6 point loss and be frustrated with the team every second of the game.

I'm just saying this because, yeah, every team has fair weather fans that only like to pay attention when things are going well but don't want to be part of it when the team isn't dominating. But now we have long time season ticket holders like my father who have gone to every home game they could and always make sure that they're by a TV with the Husker game on when there's an away game, thinking about skipping the rest of the year because they feel that they already know we'll lose and also because there's no excitement or energy with this team this year.

Just my 2 cents

• Fire 5

There's nothing wrong with choosing to find different ways to spend your time and your money if the product isn't meeting your expectations. Husker football is expensive - not only the tickets, but the drive time, the food, the monetary value you assign to the hours in your day, gas... The value of one person going to a Husker game can be hundreds of dollars when you combine all these factors. If you don't find interest or enjoyment in watching your team lose, or, you feel like the team isn't worth that time, I'm 100% OK with that.

Apathy is a bad thing, but I'm kind of sick of the narrative surrounding it. People are acting like the fans not being interested is somehow the fans' fault. No. The decisions, hires and recruiting of the last ~15 years have led to the point we're at today.

I haven't given up on Riley would like to see him get some more time here and with his guys. That's my opinion, just like others have the right to question Riley and his hire. But, let's all keep in perspective that if this team, this program, was a winner, then we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. This is 100% on the program and the people running it - NOT on the fans.

• Fire 3

I'm glad someone had the balls to write this article. But he's incorrect in one aspect: fan apathy has already set in. That's why it is so quiet during games. That's why Riley must win next year. If he loses 4 or 5 games, this program will be set back even further and fans will care even less. You will see more tickets opening for the visiting fans. The stadium won't be all red. The longer this goes on, the more irrelevant we become.

Wisconsin game was loudest in a long time.

Apathy has significantly set in. you had to know someone to get tickets 20 years ago...now??

it feels like Reilly has been struggling for 3 years-- but its only game 8! I'm not sure good players(which I think we have) would make a difference with what I see from this staff. they can't fix what we have come to understand about this staff.

what's most different to me this time is people who I have talked with have skipped past replacing Reilly to going right for the head.....Perlman and Eichorst. ...now.