Will Armstrong ride the pine the rest of the year?

Dansker

Prediction: Ryker completes over 65% of his passes BUT for only 180 yards...lots of check downs all day and one long pass for about 40 yards.

Predicton II: I am buzzed by noon

Prediction 1:

For those numbers to appear due to check downs is not likely in a college game given our average play count. The yards per attempt would be a couple of yards below expected. For those numbers to appear it is more likely a result of throwing fewer passes than it is throwing shorter passes. While it's possible this staff eschews their goal of "balance", how likely is it for them to run the ball a far higher percentage of the time? Purdue's rush defense isn't nearly as good as the Wisconsin game may have shown.

Prediction 2:

(3-5) Nebraska and (1-whatever) Purdue on ESPNU. I'm sure we'll get great announcers. Go for the hard stuff.

• Fire 1

Prediction: Ryker completes over 65% of his passes BUT for only 180 yards...lots of check downs all day and one long pass for about 40 yards.

Predicton II: I am buzzed by noon

Prediction 1:

For those numbers to appear due to check downs is not likely in a college game given our average play count. The yards per attempt would be a couple of yards below expected. For those numbers to appear it is more likely a result of throwing fewer passes than it is throwing shorter passes. While it's possible this staff eschews their goal of "balance", how likely is it for them to run the ball a far higher percentage of the time? Purdue's rush defense isn't nearly as good as the Wisconsin game may have shown.

Prediction 2:

(3-5) Nebraska and (1-whatever) Purdue on ESPNU. I'm sure we'll get great announcers. Go for the hard stuff.

Are you thinking...Crown? Jack? Absoulte?

With Tommy out, do you guys think Riley and staff are going to "use the injury" as a way to experiment with Fyfe from here on out to see how he does? From a coach's perspective, I don't see how they're NOT disappointed with TA's performance thus far. I think Tommy has done some good things but he still makes terrible decisions that make me close my eyes hoping the worst doesn't happen. I fear with him being out with turf toe, he may not see the field until a bowl if we somehow scratch our way through and even then, I don't see how he gets his starting job back because that would mean Fyfe led the boys to 3 more victories.

I'm excited to see what Fyfe can bring to the table but I think it is going to be tough to judge him on this Saturday alone. It looks like it is going to be a muggy game and we may want to keep things vanilla but don't be surprised if the offense somehow starts to look like a well oiled machine with the backup in there. I would not set expectations high but as always, expect the unexpected. Remember Joe Ganz?

We are getting to a bowl?

There is a reason Fyfe is the back up.

There was a reason Osborne didn't offer Barry Sanders a scholarship...it just turned out it wasn't a very good one...

The story I heard was that Osborne told Frank that since they had already offered Terry Rodgers that they couldn't take another small back in the same year. Rodgers never panned out, due to injury iirc and Sanders...well...he was freaking awesome. :)

There is a reason Fyfe is the back up.

There was a reason Osborne didn't offer Barry Sanders a scholarship...it just turned out it wasn't a very good one...

The story I heard was that Osborne told Frank that since they had already offered Terry Rodgers that they couldn't take another small back in the same year. Rodgers never panned out, due to injury iirc and Sanders...well...he was freaking awesome. :)

According to wikipedia, the only FBS programs to offer Sanders were Okie St and Tulsa. If Osborne missed, so did nearly ever other coach in the country, including Switzer. Sanders wasn't even the starting RB at his HS at the start of his senior year.

Ryker Fyfe v. Purdue:

• 60.4%
  • 407 yards
  • 4 TD
  • 4 INT
  • Rating 142.5
  • Adj. QBR 37.0

In 2015, Tommy is 53.5% and 127.9 rating.

Tommy's had 6 games in his career with Adj. QBR < 37.0.

• Illinois 2015
  • MSU 2014
  • Purdue 2014 (10.3!) 38.1%, 1TD 2 INT, 82 rating.
  • Wisconsin 2014
  • Purdue 2013 (9.7!) 33.3%, 0TD 3 INT, 20.1 rating.
  • PSU 2013 (3.5!)

Personally, I still see more upside with Fyfe than I do with Armstrong. Fyfe looks only slightly behind Armstrong at the present, even though we are comparing a one game starter to a guy who has been a starter for parts of three years.

It was good to see slant pass completions on a regular basis. Fyfe just has to learn to be more paranoid when it comes to the pass protection of the offensive line.