Will Armstrong ride the pine the rest of the year?

Dansker

There is a reason Fyfe is the back up.

There was a reason Osborne didn't offer Barry Sanders a scholarship...it just turned out it wasn't a very good one...

I thought he offered him as a DB...or was that Faulk?

They offered Terry Rodgers instead of Barry Sanders. Rodgers was actually considered the better prospect and he would have been good if he wouldn't have gotten hurt.

Faulk was offered as a DB. The only school to offer him as a running back was SDSU. Everyone knows that was a mistake now.

I'm going to go out on a limb for my prediction. Fyfe plays well enough to get the 20-30 point victory we should get regardless of who is at QB. Our game plan will be to run the ball and he makes enough plays to keep the team moving down field, but doesn't do anything outstanding to make him the obvious better QB. Then next week Tommy will start and people will start screaming for Fyfe to play when he struggles against MSU citing how well Ryker did against Purdue when he got a chance to play. Then he will come in and everyone will realize that Fyfe isn't the solution to all of our struggles and there is a reason why TA was the starter all year. Tommy will be the starter until he graduates. The end.

But I can predict Fyfe wont try to go to his left and then try to turn and scramble the other way to all in all take a sack and lose 10-15 yards on every other 3rd down.

Interesting since we haven't seen that this year.

I would say this happens more like once a game. Most the time when he reverses fields it works out for him. But when it doesn't he loses big time yardage.

There was a reason Osborne didn't offer Barry Sanders a scholarship...it just turned out it wasn't a very good one...

They offered Terry Rodgers instead of Barry Sanders. Rodgers was actually considered the better prospect and he would have been good if he wouldn't have gotten hurt.

Faulk was offered as a DB. The only school to offer him as a running back was SDSU. Everyone knows that was a mistake now.

Ahhh, thanks!

I think some people are confusing Frank's recruiting lapses of judgement with Tom's. Frank was the one that refused to look at Reggie Bush who twice flew to Lincoln on his own dime to be a Husker RB. Frank finally said he could give it a shot at DB. I have a friend who was personally involved in this sage and knows the details. Frank often refused to look at the one's that turned out as great players. Danny Woodhead was told 'He was too small and too slow!" and so Frank took instead little 'porkchop' Cory Ross who was a very decent little slow RB with good quickness and good heart. A true Husker certainly but no way was he better than Woodhead who set mindboggling records and I believe may still be in the NFL.

I don't believe Woodhead and Ross were in the same recruiting class.

Brandon Jackson was singed in the same class that Woodhead would have been in (2004).

And...yes....Woodhead is still in the NFL and doing decent on my fantasy team while playing for the chargers.

I think both. I know TO offered Faulk as a DB. I don't know if Sanders was offered officially or not.
sanders wasn't offered because they had already given Johnny rodgers' kid a scholarship

I love Woodhead, but he wouldn't have been a great fit for NU's style of offense at the time. That said, maybe with talent like that, you consider adapting the system around him.

Hard to say where he ends up if Frank is retained.

I'm wondering where the myth about Reggie Bush being turned away got started, though. That's a new one...

I think some people are confusing Frank's recruiting lapses of judgement with Tom's. Frank was the one that refused to look at Reggie Bush who twice flew to Lincoln on his own dime to be a Husker RB. Frank finally said he could give it a shot at DB. I have a friend who was personally involved in this sage and knows the details. Frank often refused to look at the one's that turned out as great players. Danny Woodhead was told 'He was too small and too slow!" and so Frank took instead little 'porkchop' Cory Ross who was a very decent little slow RB with good quickness and good heart. A true Husker certainly but no way was he better than Woodhead who set mindboggling records and I believe may still be in the NFL.

Brandon Jackson was singed in the same class that Woodhead would have been in (2004).

And...yes....Woodhead is still in the NFL and doing decent on my fantasy team while playing for the chargers.

Revisionist history? Woodhead was never told he was too "slow". The guy ran a 10.5 in the 100 meters in high school. Frank basically pulled a TO on this one. Knowing Woodhead was an instate kid, he expected him to walk-on like TO did time and time again. Woodhead chose the scholarship over it. TO drove out to middle of nowhere NE to recruit a guy I know twice. He was never offered a scholarship, but he was expected to walk-on which he did giving up a full ride to Wyoming and Colorado State. Back in the TO and Frank days, we had a lot of good walk-on players who passed up scholarships to play for the Big Red. Unfortunately, college costs have escalated to the point where most of those good instate players are taking the scholarships rather than becoming walk-ons for the Big Red.

Yes, Woodhead would have been in the same recruiting class as Brandon Jackson. Given what the RBs were expected to do from 04-07, it more than likely wouldn't have benefitted Nebraska much having Woodhead on the team. It more than likely would have also cost Woodhead a shot at the NFL. Woodhead would have been buried on the depth chart behind Marlon Lucky. This one worked out pretty well as it played out rather than Woodhead coming to Nebraska.

• Fire 1

I love Woodhead, but he wouldn't have been a great fit for NU's style of offense at the time. That said, maybe with talent like that, you consider adapting the system around him.

Hard to say where he ends up if Frank is retained.

I'm wondering where the myth about Reggie Bush being turned away got started, though. That's a new one...

Frank wasn't offering Woodhead before he was fired. They wanted him to walk on. Woodhead was a phenomenal athlete in HS at North Platte if he would have been from Omaha or Lincoln he would have been offered IMO. He made guys from Metro Schools look silly when they tried to tackle him.

My Prediction:

Fyfe goes down/gets replaced halfway through the third quarter by Jamal Turner. He goes 30/32 300 yards in 22 minutes of gametime and pushes us to a 40 point win. He then leads us to win out and somehow magically we win our division and then beat tOSU in conference title game. Then we beat Utah in the Rose Bowl.

Did I do that right?

My Prediction:

Fyfe goes down/gets replaced halfway through the third quarter by Jamal Turner. He goes 30/32 300 yards in 22 minutes of gametime and pushes us to a 40 point win. He then leads us to win out and somehow magically we win our division and then beat tOSU in conference title game. Then we beat Utah in the Rose Bowl.

Did I do that right?

I WANT SOME OF WHAT YOU'RE SMOKING

:smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin

My Prediction:

Did I do that right?

Assuming the two missed passes were a drop and a very wise throwaway to avoid a sack, yes.

Revisionist history? Woodhead was never told he was too "slow". The guy ran a 10.5 in the 100 meters in high school. Frank basically pulled a TO on this one. Knowing Woodhead was an instate kid, he expected him to walk-on like TO did time and time again. Woodhead chose the scholarship over it. TO drove out to middle of nowhere NE to recruit a guy I know twice. He was never offered a scholarship, but he was expected to walk-on which he did giving up a full ride to Wyoming and Colorado State. Back in the TO and Frank days, we had a lot of good walk-on players who passed up scholarships to play for the Big Red. Unfortunately, college costs have escalated to the point where most of those good instate players are taking the scholarships rather than becoming walk-ons for the Big Red.

Yes, Woodhead would have been in the same recruiting class as Brandon Jackson. Given what the RBs were expected to do from 04-07, it more than likely wouldn't have benefitted Nebraska much having Woodhead on the team. It more than likely would have also cost Woodhead a shot at the NFL. Woodhead would have been buried on the depth chart behind Marlon Lucky. This one worked out pretty well as it played out rather than Woodhead coming to Nebraska.

Define "middle of nowhere"... I'm wondering if it's who I think it is.