Losing the Fan Base?

On USC this afternoon, some commentator or another was quoted as saying something along the lines of "If Riley doesn't go 11 - 2 next year, he endangers losing the fan base". I was in traffic, or I'd have called in.

This may rub some folks the wrong way, but so be it. I'd rather sit in the stadium with 50,000 fans that really want to be there, and will be there, regardless of the coach, the AD, the players and/or the record, than with another "sold out" crowd, 40% of which seem to be entitled, short sighted, immediate gratification wannabe coaches and armchair ADs. I am just totally sick of all the hand wringing, finger pointing, vilification, blaming and bickering that goes on within the "fan base".

I hate it when the team loses, whether it is 1 or 10 games, doesn't matter, I hate it. But that doesn't have any effect on whether or not I want to cheer, go to a game or appreciate the fact that my Nebraska Cornhuskers are on the field.

People have every right to express an opinion, for sure. I served for that right, as has my son. But I don't understand how anyone has the right, or even the need, for it to become so negative and often down right hateful.

The question about "when will the fan base be reunited" was brought up. I thought...."it won't be reunited until only real fans are left". Now, I know many that get irate, rightfully consider themselves fans, but I think a good number of "fans" need to move on with their lives and get off the Husker bandwagon they've been on for 20 or so years. There is a difference, I think.

!!!!!!!! GO BIG RED !!!!!!!!

• Fire 3

Callahan went 5 wins twice in 4 years and here we all were, cheering in 2008. Pelini's ghastly behavior over 7 seasons, none of them 11-2, didn't deter us.

Either Husker nation really is composed primarily of "Well, that didn't personally offend ME...give me my unranked 9-win team, please and thank you" folks or we'll put up with a lot, and these absurd ultimatums are just the misguided fears or fantasies of people too upset to think straight.

• Fire 4

Callahan went 5 wins twice in 4 years and here we all were, cheering in 2008. Pelini's ghastly behavior over 7 seasons, none of them 11-2, didn't deter us.Either Husker nation really is composed primarily of "Well, that didn't personally offend ME...give me my unranked 9-win team, please and thank you" folks or we'll put up with a lot, and these absurd ultimatums are just the misguided fears or fantasies of people too upset to think straight.

It is because all of us want the same exact thing...wins.

I surely don't think the fan base should be lost if Riley doesn't go 11-2 next year, but keeping the fan base fully interested is crucial.

What separates us, currently, from any number of mediocre programs other than a rabid fan base? It's got to be there. It's the only driving force back to prominence.

I would offer that I am not sure the "Fan Base" has ever fully endorsed Riley and staff.

I am a long time Husker supporter..as are many friends.. There was mixed emotion when Bobwas fired.

When Riley was hired, the thought process was " Who is this Guy" or " Why did we hire someone with such a dismal record"

Eventually most adopted the approach " He is our coach and we will support him until he shows us we shouldn't"

I do not know any booster that enthusiastically endorsed his hire from day one. I think as true Husker fans we accepted him

• Fire 1

I sometimes say a lot of stupid sh#t when we lose or play poorly but, I was born a Husker fan and I'll die a Husker fan. Anybody that has stuck it out through the Solich, Callahan, and Pelini years has earned the right to bitch and complain and also should never have their fandom questioned. Fairweather bandwagon fans would simply no longer be fans after what this program has gone through. Anybody who still watches the games, goes to the games, shows high interest in the team, and claims to be a fan, should not be vilified by other, supposedly "better" fans. Not being happy with the product on the field does not mean a person is any less of a fan.

However, I do agree that some take the bitching and complaining to an unnecessary and sometimes hateful level. As the OP stated, that may signal it is time to move on. It does seem that some fans do more harm than good.

• Fire 1

I would think anyone that logs in and posts, negatively or positively, on a message board dedicated to thier team is a true fan.

If you're not a fan (and most likely a hardcore one), you just don't care enough to take the time and effort to talk about them with a group of random people on the internet.

Some people are simply more pessimistic or negative, that doesn't make them less of a fan, just a different one.

• Fire 2