Overtime: Purdue Post-game Overreaction

Mavric

I believe we should have benched seniors a couple weeks back and started to true rebuilding process. Step 1 is to play your younger players and begin building depth. You may still have to recruit future starters but you have got to have backups even after your manage to recruit some better players.

Obviously, our seniors are just not very good and are not going to win you a championship this year. You have to REBUILD a DEAD PROGRAM. What we are watching is a very poor team playing poorly against mediocre (at best) teams. We have games upcoming against teams that 'on paper' are MUCH MUCH better than we are. We should expect to be soundly defeated in the Iowa and Michigan State games (even though in Lincoln) and Rutgers will be tough as well with all the injuries to our juniors and younger guys with the most talent on the team. Our BEST players are now or have been playing hurt or not even playing. This hurts a team without any depth at all. We don't have a first string frankly, much less any good seconds and thirds. None have experience. Play them. It can hurt. We need to build depth.

this is really bad.

You can spin a flukish, mismanaged 1 point loss to Illinios in game 5. You can spin the shitshow at miami. Byu. wisconsin. But starting last week. and now today. Two weeks in a row. Coming off the Minnesota success (which really has a completely different perspective knowing what we know now about their coach at the time) which really adds confusion to the whole deal. That game looked like such a big step forward but to follow it up like that?

But today. We literally let Purdue beat the livin sh#t out of us up and down the field. It's that simple. Both sides of the ball.

Yes. really bad.

• Fire 1

Well, after today's showing, I just wanted to reiterate that if you're thinking that this staff needs more time, or more recruits, or more gainful employment at Memorial Stadium...you are part of the problem. There's no excuse for this s**t show of a staff--they had enough talent to win the division, or at least make a bowl. Now we're being beat up by Purdue to the tune of 55 points.

But hey, at least Riley is a nice guy. He may take the jet through the DQ drive-thru on the way home to get ice cream for his kiddos, pinch them on the cheek, and hand them a participation trophy with a cute little bobblehead football player on it...like what they give the kiddos nowadays in rec sports.

And no, for the twits that can't help but think in black and white, this doesn't mean we want Pelini back. It means that Eichorst should have done his actual f*****g job right the first time and actually interviewed coaches and opened the pocketbook to get someone of quality to come to Lincoln.

It is time to face facts. Eichorst did not hire Riley to win the Big Ten. He hired him because he was tired of hearing from boosters that Bo was an embarrassment. He was tired of having to deal with Bo's tantrums on the sidelines. He probably told Riley during that trip to Portland that the personnel was in place and that his only expectation was that Riley conduct himself like he always does on the sidelines and not embarrass the university. Eichorst made the mistake of thinking coaching doesn't matter. Think about it....he didn't even interview anyone else. He was single minded in the whole process and set out to solve one problem.

Now he is starting to feel what it is like to not win at Nebraska. Now he is starting to understand that the fans want a winning team. He is screwed and I am sure if he isn't already, he will start getting a boat load of heat from the Board of Regents, the Boosters, and us little people or as his predecessor put it, "No boosters of any significance".

I am not sure what the solution is. I hate the idea of firing a one year coach since that screws up recruiting but if things don't start changing recruiting will take a dive anyway. One thing kids want to do is go to bowl games. That is not going to happen this year obviously. Perhaps it would be best to cut losses and start the process all over again. Take the heat up front and recruit a young energetic coach with Nebraska roots. Someone who played here and understands the culture. Someone who will get a statue erected of him 20 years from now out in front of Memorial stadium.

Truthfully I don't understand why we fired Bo, without having a guy in our sights, or at least the RIGHT guy in our pocket to take the job.

If you're in an abusive marriage, you get a divorce. Period. Even if you don't have a supermodel lying in wait, even if it costs you the house, you get out of that relationship.

Yeah, cause obviously an abusive marriage is that same thing as a Bo Pelini coached team.

He resented the fanbase, the media, and the athletic department, he didn't want to be here, and it consistently led to the ugliest kinds of blowouts and losses or ugly close wins against inferior competition. What about that sounds at all healthy?

what doesn't sound healthy is apparently your penchant for revisionism and melodrama

Truthfully I don't understand why we fired Bo, without having a guy in our sights, or at least the RIGHT guy in our pocket to take the job.

If you're in an abusive marriage, you get a divorce. Period. Even if you don't have a supermodel lying in wait, even if it costs you the house, you get out of that relationship.

Yeah, cause obviously an abusive marriage is that same thing as a Bo Pelini coached team.

He resented the fanbase, the media, and the athletic department, he didn't want to be here, and it consistently led to the ugliest kinds of blowouts and losses or ugly close wins against inferior competition. What about that sounds at all healthy?

what doesn't sound healthy is apparently your penchant for revisionism and melodrama

help me out then please

I see a high correlation between the Huskers performance and the negative remarks on this site. Since T.O. left everyone is calling for someone to be fired. Those who are unhappy should go find another team to follow because your attitude isn't the traditional Husker fan base. Soon we won't even be able to get a high school coach to come to Nebraska because of the back stabbers. Much less quality recruits. If you ever called for a firing you are the problem, because you have been wrong every time.

tumblr_lykimx4NkL1qinmdwo1_r2_500.gif

tumblr_lykimx4NkL1qinmdwo2_r2_500.gif

I think Eichorst did do his job

I think the hiring of Riley was thoroughly vetted.

Neither Riley nor his staff has ever been successful except for a short period in the CFL.

IMO, Riley was not after a winning coach. He wanted a Ward Cleaver type of guy.

IMO, the hiring of Riley was a slap at Pelini

All of this is just my opinion

Please tell me how taking a slap at Pelini is SE's job.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard in my entire life. And I once heard someone say they liked Crystal Pepsi.

I thought 8-4 was very reasonable, and 9-3 at best (regular season). Boy was I wrong and way off. I'm still supportive and it's hard to watch what's happening.

The thing that really bothers me is seeing some Husker fans getting into the faces of other fellow Husker fans. It shouldn't be like that. I know many of them wanted Riley gone and not happy with the hire. I don't have a problem with that. Just don't know why some are taking delight in rubbing it in.