Perlman Backs Eichorst, Riley

Mavric

This is Harvey Perlman:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=1136455

"Our athletic program is well-regarded in the highly competitive arena of collegiate athletics, due largely to the focus Steve has placed on balancing athletics and academics for our student-athletes," Perlman said. "Steve's leadership in the expansion of our athletic facilities and his selection and support of key coaching talent has placed Nebraska in a position of strength."

Perlman cited several factors that led to his decision to extend Pederson's contract, including:

* The continuation and enhancement of UNL's strong commitment to academic successes for its student-athletes. Nebraska leads the country in Academic All-Americans, and all men's and women's athletic teams satisfied the NCAA's new academic standards. Nebraska also leads the Big 12 in the graduation rate of student-athletes, at 94 percent.

* The recruitment and hiring of coaches who reflect the tradition of Husker athletics with high goals for success, accomplished in the right way, said Perlman. Pederson has been responsible for recruiting and hiring head football coach Bill Callahan, and men's basketball coach Doc Sadler.

* The financial management of the athletic department. The North Stadium project was constructed on time and within budget, a substantial amount of private donations were raised within a very short time frame, and the funding for the remainder of the project was identified without jeopardizing the other operations of the department, Perlman said. In addition, budget management has put the athletic department in a stable financial condition. Private donations to the department continue to increase.

* Athletic performance. In all sports, progress toward championship level play is evident.

"In these days of close scrutiny of intercollegiate athletics, the university is fortunate to have someone as its athletic director who is committed to the overall development of student-athletes, has adopted sound financial management practices, and insists on the highest standards of compliance with university and NCAA rules. I am delighted that he has agreed to this extension," said Perlman.

"I view this extension of my contract for a long term as a compliment to our coaches, administrative staff, and our student-athletes," said Pederson. "I see this as an opportunity to continue the work that we have started together. I am especially thankful for my fellow Nebraska fans who make this the best college atmosphere in the country, and I look forward to many fun and exciting times together in the coming years."

and then, a few short months later:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3064861

For the first time in their 118-year history, the Cornhuskers

have allowed at least 40 points four times in a season.

"You make the best decision you can with the information you
have," Perlman said.

The chancellor also said since July he's noticed a decline in
morale and growing concern about keeping key personnel in the
athletic department. Paul Meyers, a key fundraiser, was among
several people who departed.

ncaa_ap_pederson_195.jpg

Several people came forward with concerns about Pederson's
management style and his connection with staff, donors and
athletes, Perlman said.

"Every one of you thinks this is because of a football game
that was played last Saturday," Pederson [sic] said. "It may well be
that the vulnerability of the football program encouraged people to
come forward when prior to that they had not."

A search for an interim athletic director has begun, with the
next step to find a permanent replacement

It's really shocking that he will never be held to account for the destruction he's wrought upon the program.

• Fire 2

I actually don't know Perelman's perception among fellow chancellors or his list of verifiable achievements on the academic level. Picking the football coach shouldn't be a top priority, but it's certainly important enough to warrant some thought and scrutiny.

I went to UNL when Osborne was coach and the football team was slightly less controversial (Tom's inability to beat Oklahoma/Switzer generated outrage that would be familiar to this thread), but we had the worst Board of Regents of any major university.

Every day that Eichorst still has a job at UNL makes me more disappointed and more pessimistic about our future. A contract extension would be utterly ridiculous.

The same goes for Riley too. Keeping a rolling five year contract as a recruiting tool makes sense in most situations, but no one in his right mind thinks Riley will still be here in five years. If a contract extension sways recruits, well I don't know if we want recruits who are that dumb.

Eichorst and Riley represent very expensive mistakes. Buyouts are expensive, yes, but keeping them around will be more expensive in the long run, and more years and more extensions only compound those mistakes and dig us into a deeper hole.

The whole thing just makes me sad.

I hope he is here in 5 years. If he is, it likely means he got this thing turned around. If he's not, then that means another coaching change and more delays until we are competing for conference championships again.

First Eichorst says we're in a rebuilding mode, and now Perlman is comparing Mike Riley to Tom Osborne.....dear god these two clowns don't know how to keep their foot out of their mouth. And please, someone stop Perlman before he extends Eichorst's contract.

Two vote of confidences in one week, and we're 9 games into a first-year head coach. Just an absolute circus going on here in Lincoln.

I couldn't agree more. What a f#*k&$ joke! God help us if we get blown out on Saturday.

• Fire 2

I actually don't know Perelman's perception among fellow chancellors or his list of verifiable achievements on the academic level. Picking the football coach shouldn't be a top priority, but it's certainly important enough to warrant some thought and scrutiny.

I went to UNL when Osborne was coach and the football team was slightly less controversial (Tom's inability to beat Oklahoma/Switzer generated outrage that would be familiar to this thread), but we had the worst Board of Regents of any major university.

I disagree. Choosing your highest paid employee should always be a top priority.