Quarters Coverage vs. Cover 2

Mavric

We have other coverages in our playbook. You don't have to totally change your defense to run a different coverage. We just refuse to (most of the time).

Both INTs against Minny came when we went to a Cover 2 look.

It's almost like we actually good at defense when we don't run Banker's stupid quarters coverage

• Fire 1

We have other coverages in our playbook. You don't have to totally change your defense to run a different coverage. We just refuse to (most of the time).

Both INTs against Minny came when we went to a Cover 2 look.

It's almost like we actually good at defense when we don't run Banker's stupid quarters coverage

Yep! Nate Gerry almost had a pick from the Cover 2. In person, I definitely saw more Cover 2 in that game than I had seen all year. We should have come up with at least a couple INT's tonight. Cook just got lucky.

Really hope we see more of the cover 2. Never understood Banker's quarters coverage and how he thought it would ever work. If you play press coverage it could have success, but our guys are constantly playing about 6+ yards back. Basically turns into a prevent defense at that point.

Yeah. That's the part that confuses me as well. One of the advantages of Quarters is that it allows your corners to be aggressive and press because they have over the top help. Where this coverage is lacking is in the flat areas. That weakness can be mitigated by aggressive technique at the line but if you are playing as far off as we do you are taking the weakest part of the scheme and accentuating it. As you said it essentially become a prevent

Lack of a constant pass rush hurts as well as we are having the same issue that Sparty has. Bad bad bad corner play. The announcers even said it about Sparty. We you don't have Dennard and I forget the other guy back there you can't run it well. When we finally get some pass rush and a couple shut down corners we will play much better back there.

Lack of a constant pass rush hurts as well as we are having the same issue that Sparty has. Bad bad bad corner play. The announcers even said it about Sparty. We you don't have Dennard and I forget the other guy back there you can't run it well. When we finally get some pass rush and a couple shut down corners we will play much better back there.

And thats why I think this is a bad overall scheme to run at the college level. You are at the mercy of recruiting studs at the most sought after positions on the field. Its a defense that is much more suited to the NFL where you have a much higher level of talent and can retain players that are essential to run your scheme.

Really hope we see more of the cover 2. Never understood Banker's quarters coverage and how he thought it would ever work. If you play press coverage it could have success, but our guys are constantly playing about 6+ yards back. Basically turns into a prevent defense at that point.

Yeah. That's the part that confuses me as well. One of the advantages of Quarters is that it allows your corners to be aggressive and press because they have over the top help. Where this coverage is lacking is in the flat areas. That weakness can be mitigated by aggressive technique at the line but if you are playing as far off as we do you are taking the weakest part of the scheme and accentuating it. As you said it essentially become a prevent
Actually in quarters coverage the DBs don't often have over the top help like you do in cover 2. That is why we don't see our CBs play press because the staff doesn't have enough faith they can play on an island.