Should Mike Riley be fired on the 1st and goal play call in the 3rd quarter alone?

So many people think that every play called, every possession should be perfect. It just doesn't happen.

Mark D'Antonio is considered to be among the elite coaches by those in the know. Hold him to the same standards as Riley. Should he be fired for that 3rd down TE reverse? It may have cost them the game.

No coach has ever escaped the wrath of others claiming a play call was bad, even if it was correct. Conventional wisdom in this game is way outdated, but there's a political aspect to managing that keeps certain tendencies popular. If it were only about optimization, we'd go for two more, pass more on first down, and punt an awful lot less.

• Fire 2

So many people think that every play called, every possession should be perfect. It just doesn't happen.

Mark D'Antonio is considered to be among the elite coaches by those in the know. Hold him to the same standards as Riley. Should he be fired for that 3rd down TE reverse? It may have cost them the game.

Or going for it on 4th down in the 1st instead of kicking the field goal.

Actually that was a pretty good call although it didn't work. We have shown susceptability to reverses and end around type actions, espcially when we are looking for other types of plays. It is time consuming, running play, that will often (maybe 35% or so just educated guessing) get a good gain and pick up the first down. the only downside for them was the extra risk, whatever amount that may be, of a fumble in the hand off or something. But, a drop back and pass that get's intercepted for six would be a cause for near revolt by the MSU fans. The QB getting sacked and fumbling to Nebraska deep in their terriotory would be really questioned as well.

Another clueless fan............boy they are coming out of the woodwork this season.

If I were a recruit for this program right now, I would bail. Go some where that a win is appreciated. I hope this message board is viewed by many across the nation.

Win with class, lose with class.

Because saying,"if you were a recruit for this program right now, I would bail" and hoping this message board is viewed across the nation is a class act.

• Fire 3

How fast things change. Thread title should be "Should Riley Get a Contract Extension?"

Just reading this thread. Quite humorous.

I think it should be entitled, "Should ndobney Be Banned from Huskerboard?"

Put a poll to it and majority rules. :-)

He's skating on thin ice. And he's been warned.

• Fire 1

It was a run/pass option. Tommie read it wrong and optioned out of run. Probably should have just called a run only play. Riley mentioned it tonight on sports nightly.

Weird, I'm not seeing a "run" option unless it was a call made at the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hfaFwQ_eyTI#t=5473

There's not much of a hole to be seen but you can seen the line fire out like a run. Sterup is a couple yards downfield.

It was a run/pass option. Tommie read it wrong and optioned out of run. Probably should have just called a run only play. Riley mentioned it tonight on sports nightly.

Weird, I'm not seeing a "run" option unless it was a call made at the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hfaFwQ_eyTI#t=5473

There's not much of a hole to be seen but you can seen the line fire out like a run. Sterup is a couple yards downfield.

I noticed that and thought that was odd also. It's like half are thinking one way and half the other. Newby looks like he's pass protecting, and Westerkamp is waiting for the ball. Dunno.

ETA: I get what you guys are saying though. It's not a traditional QB sprint out run/pass option. Tommy knows he's passing before he takes the snap because of the read he made at the line.

• 2 weeks later...

BEFORE the 4th quarter starts. I am saying right now it is impossible to win this game after that play call. Can't do it

I;ve been a fan since before 95. That was the worst playcall I have seen in over 20 years. Pathetic.completely embarassing

Great call here. A fan all the way back since before 95? No way!

Yep I was wrong can't do it outside of a blown out of bounce call by the officials. Sorry didn't see that one coming.

That blown "out of bounce call"? MSU got away with one just like it last night. How 'bout them apples?

Simple fact is, it wasn't a blown out of bounds call, (or out of bounce biggrin1.gif), it was simply a judgement call on the part of the referees. Judgement calls happen all the time during the game. The only thing up for debate about the call is whether or not there was enough contact by the defender to make the receiver go out of bounds.

When comparing the two calls, MSU's is the more questionable of the two because their receiver took 2 - 3 steps down the sideline while out of bounds before coming back inbounds to make the catch. Brandon Reilly came back in almost immediately.