Dirk on recruiting local

Has anyone from Cody-Kilgore ever played for Nebraska? They play 6 man football. Here is a really cool story on them from espn.com.

A TOWN TOO TOUGH TO DIE

VIDEO (A town too tough to die)

003_BF1_5584.JPG

No, but I was the head FB coach at Cody-Kilgore for 2 years, 91 and 92. It was the first 2 years they played 6 man. The first 6 man game I ever saw I coached at it. We had 7 guys out my first year and 9 out my second year. Our record over the 2 years was 1-9. To be decente at 6 man FB you need to have at least 12 guys out. Otherwise it is tough.

• Fire 2

There are still some good athletes in the hills just not high numbers. For example some of these schools are consolidating. You are talking districts that are 35 miles wide consolidating. We have kids traveling 50 miles one way to football practice. And doing chores and homework when they get home.

• Fire 1

It was my understanding that several decades ago, Devaney and Osborne got recruiting tips and help from former players and high school coaches. I wonder if the high school coach ties in and around Nebraska were cut by Callahan and Pelini?

I dunno about all that. I know both Callahan and Pelini ran summer camps that a lot of Nebraska high school players attended. And they spoke at events for Nebraska high school coaches. :dunno:

My oldest son attended the last Solich football camp and the first Callahan camp. My ex sent him in from South Carolina. My ex told me that she was greatly impressed by the Athletic Dept. My son was overwhelmed by the experience and the personal coaching he got from Cory Schlesinger. He wanted to go to Nebraska, wore the Husker jersey that I gave him, he followed the games closely, played XBox football as a Husker, etc. After the Callahan camp, he no longer talked about Nebraska and had a bad taste for Callahan and Husker football. He finally told me that Callahan and his staff only paid attention to the players that they invited and ignored everyone else. There was not feedback or coaching. He no longer watched Husker football and had no desire to be a Husker. Callahan was a disaster. I have no idea how Pelini was at the camp.

My son graduated high school as an all state center in South Carolina and took a scholarship at another school.

• Fire 1

Things are definitely different than they were 20 years ago. Scholarship limits are much less, and the price of college education has sky-rocketed. That alone is one reason the walk-on program isn't what it once was, and that's why you're not seeing as many kids turning down scholly offers from schools like Iowa State or FCS schools to chase the dream of playing for Nebraska. Some still do, but that number is a lot less than it once was.

That's not entirely true. In 1973 the 105 limit was established, in 1978 in dropped to 95. It dropped again in 1992 to 85. A lot of people don't realize that the last scholarship cut was 23 years ago and even then it was only 10 scholarships.

I think the bolded part you have explained correctly as far as i am aware but you miss the rest of the sentence which in my view is the BIGGEST reason that the walk on program is struggling in many ways.

I didn't miss it, I just didn't address it. I think you are correct though. When I graduated HS you could still work your way through college with a summer construction job or by working part time at McDonald's. While you can still work and go to college you will likely accrue large amounts of debt. Athletes don't really have the option of a part time job though and paying your own way is a much more difficult proposition these days. I don't blame the players that choose a scholarship somewhere else over walking on at Nebraska.

It was my understanding that several decades ago, Devaney and Osborne got recruiting tips and help from former players and high school coaches. I wonder if the high school coach ties in and around Nebraska were cut by Callahan and Pelini?

I dunno about all that. I know both Callahan and Pelini ran summer camps that a lot of Nebraska high school players attended. And they spoke at events for Nebraska high school coaches. :dunno:

My oldest son attended the last Solich football camp and the first Callahan camp. My ex sent him in from South Carolina. My ex told me that she was greatly impressed by the Athletic Dept. My son was overwhelmed by the experience and the personal coaching he got from Cory Schlesinger. He wanted to go to Nebraska, wore the Husker jersey that I gave him, he followed the games closely, played XBox football as a Husker, etc. After the Callahan camp, he no longer talked about Nebraska and had a bad taste for Callahan and Husker football. He finally told me that Callahan and his staff only paid attention to the players that they invited and ignored everyone else. There was not feedback or coaching. He no longer watched Husker football and had no desire to be a Husker. Callahan was a disaster. I have no idea how Pelini was at the camp.

My son graduated high school as an all state center in South Carolina and took a scholarship at another school.

Thanks for sharing! +1. It sounds like even though Callahan ran a camp it really wasn't the same thing.

Thanks for sharing! +1. It sounds like even though Callahan ran a camp it really wasn't the same thing.

I attended a Callahan camp and its completely accurate

• Fire 1

I have been watching the Nebraska hs football playoffs online these past few nights and Nebraska I feel definitely has some talented hs football players. Probably more than they are credited for.

True.

I agree that Nebraska has a few talented kids each year, it's just tough to scout them because of the competition level they are going up against.

• Fire 1

I have been watching the Nebraska hs football playoffs online these past few nights and Nebraska I feel definitely has some talented hs football players. Probably more than they are credited for.

True.

I agree that Nebraska has a few talented kids each year, it's just tough to scout them because of the competition level they are going up against.

Meh. There's tons of great former Huskers who weren't from class 'A' who didn't play against so called 'tough' competition whatever that means. Osborne and his staff used to scout just fine actually in classes that weren't class A so if you only think of it in terms of who faces 'good competition' you're going to overlook a whole lot of talent in the end.