Who thinks we beat Iowa?

Hayseed

Over 64% of the time, historically speaking, Nebraska wins every time!

/sexpanther

Iowa may have the best stats of any team Nebraska has played this season but they've also played about the weakest schedule, with Wisconsin and Pittsburgh having shown the best quality (statistically). They have the short week working against them and their QB has a groin injury. The stats might lead you to believe NU won't make much hay throwing the ball against Iowa...and I've heard smarter football fans than I talk about the way Iowa's secondary plays posing a problem for TA...but I don't think there's any question our kids have another win in them. I'm just excited I feel like going to this game again because I wasn't sure while watching the Purdue debacle.

As for Beathard versus Cook, I don't see that there's much of a comparison outside the fact that neither has thrown many picks. When it comes to passing TD's and QB rating, Cook's numbers are well above average while Beathard's are well below and just average (respectively).

/sexpanther

Iowa may have the best stats of any team Nebraska has played this season but they've also played about the weakest schedule, with Wisconsin and Pittsburgh having shown the best quality (statistically). They have the short week working against them and their QB has a groin injury. The stats might lead you to believe NU won't make much hay throwing the ball against Iowa...and I've heard smarter football fans than I talk about the way Iowa's secondary plays posing a problem for TA...but I don't think there's any question our kids have another win in them. I'm just excited I feel like going to this game again because I wasn't sure while watching the Purdue debacle.

As for Beathard versus Cook, I don't see that there's much of a comparison outside the fact that neither has thrown many picks. When it comes to passing TD's and QB rating, Cook's numbers are well above average while Beathard's are well below and just average (respectively).

I agree about the schedule. The three best Wisconsin opponents are

Northwestern 8-2 (ranked 18)

Wisconsin 8-2 (ranked 25)

Pittsburgh 7-3

Iowa beat Northwestern 40-10, but only beat Wisconsin 10-6, and only beat Pitt 27-24. Iowa is ripe for a heartbreaking loss to the Huskers.

I believe that with the current mindset of the team, how everyone who's going to buy in has by this point and a defense that shook Connor Cook when it counted, Nebraska has a very good chance at beating Iowa.

No win sticks out to me as truly dominant aside from the 40-10 victory at Northwestern. If Iowa's just going to try to attack the front seven with the running game or short passing attack, I don't see them having much success especially with Banker not being afraid to bring cornerbacks.

There has to be some manner of pressure on C.J. Beathard or at least the ability to force the Hawkeyes to convert third downs as they've struggled all year. If the Blackshirts keep them primarily from their own 35 out, that'll be a solid win.

I think Iowa looks ahead and ends up with a less than stellar win over Purdue and that rattles their confidence (and playoff ranking) a bit so they come in distracted and on their heels. I don't think the Husker will come out flat off the bye, and that, with the insane energy in Memorial, will be the deciding factor.

My biggest concern is Cowherd's prediction since he just says whatever to troll. I don't think his analysis, such as it is, is wrong but I don't think he believes anything he says either. :hmmph

Been listening to Cowherd for 10 years. I have heard ANGRILY dismiss a caller who stated that he just says stuff for controversy. Bottom Line: Collin believes what he says AND he is usually right. BUT, man did he just give IOWA some bulletin board material and there is something better about IOWA this year. I think NU can win but better bring the A game for 4 quarters.

Not to derail the thread but...

So I don't listen to Cowherd that often but I always thought this was kind of a schtick with him. In fact, I am pretty sure Fox has been running a promo for his new show that is a clip of him saying he doesn't just make controversial assertions to generate interest and I know I have heard him devote segments to that topic in the handful of times I've tuned into his show over the past year.

If a caller accuses him of it on air I could see getting angry but I have to believe he has veto power over the clips Fox uses in its promos; he's clearly media savvy and very image conscious. I'm not saying it's a fair rep but it's there and he does seem to cultivate it. Again, I don't really listen to him, I just saw his "Iowa is Fraud About to be Exposed" clip pop up on a few Husker feeds.

NU 37

Idiots Out Wondering Around 23

I think in the State of Iowa the word that would be used is "wandering"

I guess when you only win 5 games all you can do is attempt to insult your undefeated opponent?

You mean your first 10-0 season in school history? Really don't get why Iowa fans are so cocky about their team. You could be 6-5 right now and you guys would still be as cocky as ever. I don't blame Iowa fans though, you know the whole statement, "act like you've been there before!" Iowa fans have never been there before so they have no idea how to react so they fall back to their level of experience of being extremely arrogant. I'm sorry, but at this point in the season every season I'm tired of listening to Iowa fans.

• Fire 2

/sexpanther

I agree about the schedule. The three best Wisconsin opponents are

Northwestern 8-2 (ranked 18)

Wisconsin 8-2 (ranked 25)

Pittsburgh 7-3

Iowa beat Northwestern 40-10, but only beat Wisconsin 10-6, and only beat Pitt 27-24. Iowa is ripe for a heartbreaking loss to the Huskers.

Yeah, I guess I just see Northwestern as an average team really... There's no question they've put up some gaudy defensive stats (though their rushing "D" ones aren't on par with the rest) but their offensive ones are just the opposite...outside some mostly average rushing "O" figures. To be fair, Northwestern has played one of the toughest schedules of any team in the B1G. FWIW, this is the SOS I see per my current method (haven't switched to z-score yet):

Maryland 0.674 Illinois 0.590 Purdue 0.579 Indiana 0.578 Rutgers 0.572 Minnesota 0.553 Northwestern 0.553 Penn State 0.501 Michigan State 0.496 Nebraska 0.486 Iowa 0.459 Ohio State 0.457 Michigan 0.440 Wisconsin 0.417

The number on the right is just the average overall ranking of all the FBS teams the team in question has played. I'm using pass d/o, rush d/o, scoring d/o, total d/o, and turnover margin. I suppose I need to get special teams into that mix someday, too. If only I got paid to fool around with spreadsheets...

p.s. - It's surprising to me that Wisconsin has the lowest SOS but they played Miami-OH, Purdue, Rutgers, Hawai'i, and Maryland (which might not hurt them so much if those teams hadn't performed so poorly statistically). The surprise is mostly from Wisconsin having played Alabama to start the season, I guess.