Who thinks we beat Iowa?

Hayseed

We can win this game, but if we aren't careful Beathard could have a career day against us and Desmond King could pick off TA several times. They don't have better talent than us and are very confident/cocky. Most of the fans I speak with, not that I want to, think there is ZERO way they lose to us. Truth is, we're the most dangerous team on their schedule. They have everything to lose and we have nothing to lose, that's a dangerous combination for them to face.

I've been having a texting conversation with an Iowa friend of mine. He said almost the exact same thing. In fact, he claimed King will have 6 picks in this game alone.

It's going to be fun. I think we win by 15-20 points.

I formed my opinion just because I've watched most of their games this season and over the past few seasons. Living in Iowa I just usually turn it on if it's on and the Huskers are of course playing at a different time. This team for them is different this year, but I'm not sure how "tested" they really are at this point. The Pitt game was a tough one for them and they've had a few others that have been close so they aren't necessarily blowing people out. Although some of their games haven't been close even when the score doesn't indicate that. Iowa fans are quick to talk about the injury bug for them as well when I bring up our bad luck this season, but they aren't even close in that respect with where we're at as far as injuries go. They understand though because a few years ago they were decimated with injuries. Iowa doesn't make too many mistakes, so there isn't going to be a lot of opportunity to capitalize on turnovers are coaching mistakes. So we're going to need to go in with a good game plan and make sure we execute it to perfection while taking care of the football. Having watched both teams, MSU and Iowa, IMO Iowa is the better team.

Interesting.

How do you think they are better? I can't think Boatyard is better than Cook. I would think their O lines would be similar. So that would make their Offenses at least on par with each other. Is their defense better?

On defense this game will come down to our DE's and Safeties. Our DE's have to maintain the LOS and set the edge against their Outside Zone and our safeties need to be able to read Play Action pass and help cover up TE's. The DT's and LB's should be able to hold their own up the middle.

Offensively we will need to attack the perimeter with our WR's and utilize Tommy in our run game. Our RB run game will struggle so it is do or die time, so we can ride Tommy on the ground to get the run game going. If our screen game didnt suck it would be great to slow down the pressure from their front 4.

I think special teams wins us the game. Iowa has been average at special teams this year and this is the game Read earns his check and we block a punt or a return to the house.

We can win this game, but if we aren't careful Beathard could have a career day against us and Desmond King could pick off TA several times. They don't have better talent than us and are very confident/cocky. Most of the fans I speak with, not that I want to, think there is ZERO way they lose to us. Truth is, we're the most dangerous team on their schedule. They have everything to lose and we have nothing to lose, that's a dangerous combination for them to face.

I've been having a texting conversation with an Iowa friend of mine. He said almost the exact same thing. In fact, he claimed King will have 6 picks in this game alone.

I formed my opinion just because I've watched most of their games this season and over the past few seasons. Living in Iowa I just usually turn it on if it's on and the Huskers are of course playing at a different time. This team for them is different this year, but I'm not sure how "tested" they really are at this point. The Pitt game was a tough one for them and they've had a few others that have been close so they aren't necessarily blowing people out. Although some of their games haven't been close even when the score doesn't indicate that. Iowa fans are quick to talk about the injury bug for them as well when I bring up our bad luck this season, but they aren't even close in that respect with where we're at as far as injuries go. They understand though because a few years ago they were decimated with injuries. Iowa doesn't make too many mistakes, so there isn't going to be a lot of opportunity to capitalize on turnovers are coaching mistakes. So we're going to need to go in with a good game plan and make sure we execute it to perfection while taking care of the football. Having watched both teams, MSU and Iowa, IMO Iowa is the better team.

Interesting.

How do you think they are better? I can't think Boatyard is better than Cook. I would think their O lines would be similar. So that would make their Offenses at least on par with each other. Is their defense better?

Beathard is better than Cook from what I've seen so far this season, at least IMO.

Iowa Total Defense: 15th Michigan State Total Defense: 46th Nebraska Total Defense: 82nd

Iowa Total Offense: 47th Michigan State Total Offense: 61st Nebraska Total Offense: 38th

I got the rankings off of the NCAA's website.

CJ Beathard this season: Passing: 267 attempts with 163 completions at 61% for 2044 yards 3 interceptions to 10 TD's Rushing: 72 attempts for 268 yards for 6 TD's. QB rating is 135.46

Connor Cook this season: Passing: 311 attempts with 175 completions at 56.3 % for 2482 yards 4 interceptions to 21 TD's Rushing: 39 attempts for 77 yards for for 0 TD's. QB rating is 143.02

T.A. this season: Passing: 338 attempts with 185 completions at 54.7% for 2560 yards 12 interceptions to 21 TD's Rushing: 79 attempts for 278 yards for 6 TD's. QB rating is 131.75

I pulled those stats off of cfbstats.com

So Cook has the better rating, but I think that's because MSU is a more pass heavy team compared to Iowa. It appears to me that Beathard is the better player and will make you pay with his mobility. But he has been banged up this season some and battling a groin injury so that's hampered him some later on in the games. He's a pretty tough kid though from what I've seen.

Interesting.

Beathard is better than Cook from what I've seen so far this season, at least IMO.

Iowa Total Defense: 15th Michigan State Total Defense: 46th Nebraska Total Defense: 82nd

Iowa Total Offense: 47th Michigan State Total Offense: 61st Nebraska Total Offense: 38th

I got the rankings off of the NCAA's website.

CJ Beathard this season: Passing: 267 attempts with 163 completions at 61% for 2044 yards 3 interceptions to 10 TD's Rushing: 72 attempts for 268 yards for 6 TD's. QB rating is 135.46

Connor Cook this season: Passing: 311 attempts with 175 completions at 56.3 % for 2482 yards 4 interceptions to 21 TD's Rushing: 39 attempts for 77 yards for for 0 TD's. QB rating is 143.02

T.A. this season: Passing: 338 attempts with 185 completions at 54.7% for 2560 yards 12 interceptions to 21 TD's Rushing: 79 attempts for 278 yards for 6 TD's. QB rating is 131.75

I pulled those stats off of cfbstats.com

So Cook has the better rating, but I think that's because MSU is a more pass heavy team compared to Iowa. It appears to me that Beathard is the better player and will make you pay with his mobility. But he has been banged up this season some and battling a groin injury so that's hampered him some later on in the games. He's a pretty tough kid though from what I've seen.

Interesting comparison between Beathard and Cook.

I think the rushing attack is going to be a very interesting situation to watch. From cfbstats Iowa has the 28th best rushing offense and we have the 12th best rushing defense. Now, yes, early on our pass defense was bad enough that nobody tried running much. But, we have the chance to drastically slow their running down which will throw off their offensive game plan.

Depends on the gameplan & execution. If we use the last 2 games model, we should win. If we use the previous 2 games and throw it 50 times? No chance.

The problem is that I think you will need to throw it in order to move the ball on us consistently. Our rushing defense doesn't tend to give up grinds. We will give up a 10-12 yard play but then we will stuff the next two and force a 3rd and long.

The only thing you'll be stuffing is your crying faces with walking tacos and Maid-Rites!

tumblr_n5bsmg5Wpw1qft49to1_500.gif

;)

And this is why most people are smart enough to not try and have an intelligent conversation about a game on opposing fan boards and you end up with just the $%^&*( trolls from the other team for the most part.

Sorry man. I was just jerkin your chain since you're the only Iowa fan I recall being on here regularly.

I actually went to college in Iowa, so I have a bunch of friends that are Hawkeye fans. One of them texted me after your game this past weekend saying he thought it was an ugly win that exposed a lot of the problems with the defense, especially the secondary.

• Fire 1

Depends on the gameplan & execution. If we use the last 2 games model, we should win. If we use the previous 2 games and throw it 50 times? No chance.

The problem is that I think you will need to throw it in order to move the ball on us consistently. Our rushing defense doesn't tend to give up grinds. We will give up a 10-12 yard play but then we will stuff the next two and force a 3rd and long.

The only thing you'll be stuffing is your crying faces with walking tacos and Maid-Rites!

tumblr_n5bsmg5Wpw1qft49to1_500.gif

;)

And this is why most people are smart enough to not try and have an intelligent conversation about a game on opposing fan boards and you end up with just the $%^&*( trolls from the other team for the most part.

He's not a troll you just have no sense of humor.

Thanks boo

william-powell-wink-gif.gif

35 and 2 are my magic numbers.

If TA throws is 35+ times and/or turns it over more than once, we don't win. I don't see us blowing out Iowa like some are predicting. However, I'll hope the coaches and QB manage game appropriately and call it a 30-27 win.

I agree, and I would also add in penalties. When we get first or second and long, the D knows what's coming, and shuts us down. Less than 5 penalties spells trouble for iowa

I believe we win this game.

The last two games the team has really come together, mistakes are still being made but they are being overcome. eusa_clap.gif

Our penalties the last two games have dropped, we're hurting ourselves less in this department. I think this trend will continue. The drop in penalties shows the team is more focused and making fewer mental mistakes and the W/L column has shown the fruits of that labor.

Lastly, the last time the Hawkeyes came to Lincoln they beat us in our own house. The players will not let that become a trend. We will ruin their best season ever. nutkick_180.gif

I think they can win the game, I think they will show up ready to play and will play pretty well. If TA can have a day where he doesn't turn the ball over too much and they get a decent running game going than I say they win.

Defensively they just need to play solid and not give up big plays. Make them earn everything they get.

Looks like weather could come into play now. It is still a ways away but neither team has really had a bad weather game this year and current projections are windy, cold and snowy. Iowa will get to play in cold/snow on Saturday against Purdue for the first time. That could certainly make things a little more interesting as both teams will try (or should try - never know with MR) to rely on their run game a little more and the cold usually slows things down a little.

The cold can also have a negative impact on already sore muscles so it adds some concern to Beathard's nagging muscle pull.

I've got a feeling that the Huskers will win big against Iowa. Not being a homer....just going with my gut based on a few things. We are a much better team then our record. All our losses were easily winnable. We just weren't jiving early in the season. Now we are. If the season started now, we'd probably have 1-2 losses max coming into next Friday. We are a completely different team than we were even just a month ago. Iowa while having a perfect record, only has 3 wins over opponents who are currently having a winning season. That's it. Their forgiving schedule along with their consistent play has gotten them here. While they've been consistent, i've not seen any improvement. In fact they almost lost to Minnesota....a team we put away quite easily...on the road 48-25. While i'd like them to be 11-0 coming into Lincoln, i'm not so sure they will survive Purdue. Why? Iowa is looking past them to us. Purdue is hungry for a signature win and just might get it. So while i'm rooting for the Hawkeyes against Purdue to setup a chance for us to ruin their perfect season, I think they might just come to us already beaten....that let down will start a downward spiral and they will not be up for the game in Lincoln. The Huskers in Memorial stadium will be their biggest test of their season. And they will fail....miserably. I don't see this thing coming down to the 4th quarter either. My prediction....are you ready for this.....42-13 Huskers!

Looks like weather could come into play now. It is still a ways away but neither team has really had a bad weather game this year and current projections are windy, cold and snowy. Iowa will get to play in cold/snow on Saturday against Purdue for the first time. That could certainly make things a little more interesting as both teams will try (or should try - never know with MR) to rely on their run game a little more and the cold usually slows things down a little.

The cold can also have a negative impact on already sore muscles so it adds some concern to Beathard's nagging muscle pull.

I'd argue we've already had a couple of bad weather games: Wisconsin & Illinois. Neither had much precipitation, but both had strong winds (20mph if I'm remembering correctly). Yet, there was Tommy slinging it all over the field, and often with poor results (to be clear, I'm blaming play calling, not execution).

I'd argue we've already had a couple of bad weather games: Wisconsin & Illinois. Neither had much precipitation, but both had strong winds (20mph if I'm remembering correctly). Yet, there was Tommy slinging it all over the field, and often with poor results (to be clear, I'm blaming play calling, not execution).

The execution was pretty poor at times. Maybe even cost us the games.