What Did We Learn: Iowa Edition

I learned, that it would be really nice if the Huskers installed a few gaint heat lamps for these god awful cold games. (just like a warming tent) Learned that coffee only makes me feel better for a few mins, also learned 50 people will line up for hot chocolate when you can get coffee pretty quick and it is hotter.

I regret just selling one of my tickets and going with the other.

I have a theory that Radar is someone from the TnT show, they were discussing today that there show is actively trolling 'certain' husker boards for lolz, for a while it sounds like. They discuss a lot of our fan theories and make fun of us almost every morning. Not saying it is our board but def trolling some husker boards, they talked openly about doing it today, to get material for the show. I believe they stated been doing it sense earlier this year...

Huh......

Anywho, you listen to those Dbag burnouts?

Listening to that show drops your IQ about 40 points. I can't believe that the Husker sports network is affiliated with those two......ummm....."Eichorsts."

In my defense, I started listening to them when I was like 11 years old, so 19 years? I think 11 year olds are there target audience. I only still listen to them out of tradition. Sometimes I cannot take it and just turn them off. I think both have burned out there brains with drugs tho.

Where do people place more of the blame on that 4th down - on Langsdorf or TA?

I noticed a lot of people on Twitter saying 'don't blame Langsdorf because he didn't throw the ball.' While true, it's also a coaches job to put a QB (and the team) in a position to win the game. Did Langsdorf and the coaches put TA and the team in the right spot there to convert, while understanding the limitations TA has?

totally TA. The wide open receiver proves that langsdorf put Tommy in a great position. People can claim that DL needs to know his qb's strengths and weaknesses so he should've justhe ran the ball, but a 3 year starting qb for a power 5 school should have enough common sense to know game situation and that 4th and 1 means you don't need to and shouldn't go for a home run shot, especially when you have a wide open receiver a couple yards past the 1st down. Obviously TA would've still had to get it to carter accurately enough to catch, and carter in turn would've had to make the catch, but the coaches still put them in a position to make the play. Tommy didn't even look at the check down and stared down the fly fade the whole way.

But here's the thing....TA has been a 3-year starter and in that time has shown no consistency in being able to make those throws. It's not like him missing that throw was an anomaly. It's what Tommy does, and DL should recognize that. Now if Tommy were a freshman and hadn't shown such inconsistently I would feel better with the call, but DL is not playing to Tommy's strengths.

I understand but the biggest thing is that TA didn't even bother looking down at the check down, he just went straight for the low percentage home run ball. It's not like throw was just that bad. It was a decent throw to give the WR an opportunity to either go for the catch or try to I draw a pass interference. The DB just made a better play defensively. My point is as a 3 year starter Tommy should have enough common sense to know he shouldn't throw the home run ball and that he still had over 4 minutes with 3 timeouts, on 4th down. Know the other routes for the play and find someone else that perhaps isn't being covered like a blanket. Maybe we should've just run it, though, since Tommy is barely even able to decipher when to bite the bullet and throw the ball away, let alone find an open check down reciever.

I see what you're saying, but at what point do you put more blame on the coaches?

TA has lost every single game, or at least the vast majority of games, where he has had to throw more than 40 times.

I don't think it's as simple as "Tommy should have enough common sense." It's a coach's job to put his players in the best position to win. By your same reasoning, you could argue that Tom Brady and Tyrod Taylor should always be coached and put in similar positions to convert 4th and 1 because they should just have enough common sense. However, I think we'd both agree how a team might approach a 4th and 1 with Brady is much different than how the Bills would approach 4th and 1 with Taylor.

The same principles apply, here, imho.

Put him in a position to win like against Illinois when he was told to run the ball and threw it anyway an lost the game? Sometimes you can't fix stupid and I think we found that out against Iowa.

Don't call our players stupid.

Throwing 9 interceptions in 3 games qualifies as stupid and incompetent. If you care about winning, said player should seriously think about taking his skills elsewhere.

Get real guys, Langsdorf called a great game. We out yarded them by about 150 yards, held a big time of possession advantage, they did not convert a 3rd down. All the coaches did a great job of putting the players in position to win. We just needed to replace one guy and we win by 21 or more. The future has never been brighter in the last 15 years.

NU never led at one point in that game. For 26 of the 30 minutes of the 2nd half, Iowa led by 11 points. NU was not threatening to win that game. Did the cold weather make it look like you were watching a different game?

All due to mistakes by one player and the tossing of Gerry. The playcalling was pretty damn good all game long.
You go boy! Way to throw the players under the bus. God know the coaches weren't seeing the same thing and calling mostly passing plays... Definitely only one player that cost is the game. PASS PLAYS FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Pass plays beat Michigan St, brought us back against Miami, kept us in the game against Iowa. So we should ignor the strength of the team (our recievers) ranked as the best in the B10 and run the ball with our backs?????????? Really! I have no words for that.

If your QB cannot reliably get them the ball, then are they still a strength?

He can when he sets his feet, You should ask someone to tell you the story about the last drive against Michigan St. It will be a classic some day.
Yep, a true classic to turn a 4-8 season into 5-7. Hip hip...

We won that game, Really ! it was in all the papers.
Yep, it was a true classic!!! Just like losing to BYU, Miami, Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue, and Iowa were true classics. Hip hip...

Those are just footnotes in history.

That's what Bill Callahan said after a losing season in his first year.

LINK?

"Just one game, just one season....."

All actual Husker fans know that line. No link needed.

As only a casual Husker fan for most of the year since I spend most of my time following Iowa - where is this quote from? :)

Get real guys, Langsdorf called a great game. We out yarded them by about 150 yards, held a big time of possession advantage, they did not convert a 3rd down. All the coaches did a great job of putting the players in position to win. We just needed to replace one guy and we win by 21 or more. The future has never been brighter in the last 15 years.

NU never led at one point in that game. For 26 of the 30 minutes of the 2nd half, Iowa led by 11 points. NU was not threatening to win that game. Did the cold weather make it look like you were watching a different game?

All due to mistakes by one player and the tossing of Gerry. The playcalling was pretty damn good all game long.
You go boy! Way to throw the players under the bus. God know the coaches weren't seeing the same thing and calling mostly passing plays... Definitely only one player that cost is the game. PASS PLAYS FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Pass plays beat Michigan St, brought us back against Miami, kept us in the game against Iowa. So we should ignor the strength of the team (our recievers) ranked as the best in the B10 and run the ball with our backs?????????? Really! I have no words for that.

If your QB cannot reliably get them the ball, then are they still a strength?

He can when he sets his feet, You should ask someone to tell you the story about the last drive against Michigan St. It will be a classic some day.
Yep, a true classic to turn a 4-8 season into 5-7. Hip hip...

We won that game, Really ! it was in all the papers.
Yep, it was a true classic!!! Just like losing to BYU, Miami, Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue, and Iowa were true classics. Hip hip...

Those are just footnotes in history.

That's what Bill Callahan said after a losing season in his first year.

LINK?
"Just one game, just one season....."

All actual Husker fans know that line. No link needed.

As only a casual Husker fan for most of the year since I spend most of my time following Iowa - where is this quote from? :)

Bill Callahan said it in 2004 after he ended our streak of 35 straight bowl games.

I learned that a team that gains 250 yards of offense and goes 0 for 9 on 3rd down is 'steady and solid' according to the media.

I also learned that when a team fumbles 3 times, with another nullified by an unrelated penalty, it's 'mistake-free' execution

Those statistics are totally meaningless... they mean nothing.

Iowa scored 2 touchdowns on 7 plays in the third quarter. And they won the game. Those are the statistics that matter.

Jeez...

Read much?

That this:

FjyluO7.png

is somehow not a hold.

This to me kind of looks like one of those plays where if they called it every time there'd be 40 holds a game. Kind of seems so routine now they let this slide.

However, I've noticed across the B1G and college football this year that holding is an uncommon call - jokingly uncommon, even when it's patently obvious.

Looks like the play KW got flagged for the illegal hands to the face penalty. BS call.

• Fire 1