Historically Average HC Goes 5-7

cm husker

I agree that having a great QB would be awesome. Cody Kessler was a huge high school and recruit and a preseason Heisman contender. I think he would do well in most offenses. Hackenburg is a big guy with a strong arm. He doesn't have a lot of talent around him, so he has struggled a lot in his career.

But, if the key to making Riley/Langsahan's offense work is having a future NFL QB then I am not sure if I like that type of offense. I would rather have an offense that can make it work with solid and smart QB's.

Kessler and POB aren't that much different coming out of HS rankings wise. Looking at their composite score, Kessler was a 0.9311 4* and POB is a .9159 4*. The one thing that Kessler has been great at is taking care of the ball. He has thrown a total of 18 ints in his career so far. That is all we really need for this offense to be really good IMO.

And fans blame the quarterback who qb'ed for teams that won at least 9 games in each of his previous seasons.

Who says Nebraskans don't enjoy the taste of their own?

Hey, you came out of hiding after three weeks of wins and positive vibes here, coupled with Pelini's season-ending losses and well-publicized meltdowns. You must be so relieved to get back on schedule with your Riley/Nebraska/Eichorst bashing.

Cool.

Great thread.

Just getting annoyed with the player blaming and bashing. That tends to die down when NU is winning. Now it flares up as an excuse.

FYI, I posted after MSU. Not so much during the bye week.

They were still bashing the players after the wins. At least that's how I see comments like "the players finally bought in" or "I wish the players bought in sooner". Some fans will do anything to protect Riley from any kind of criticism.

You think saying this is bashing players?

It is bashing the players. It's deflecting criticism away from Riley and putting it on the players.

I can agree with deflecting, but it is NOT player bashing... well, it isn't unless you have an agenda to push. To me all that means is there were players that were not happy with Bo... AH hah, that is the reason some call it bashing.. The Bo thing again.
What's with the bullsh#t agenda straw man you guys keep bringing up. My only agenda is for Nebraska to win more games than they lose. But when every criticism is met with "player x sucks and is to blame" or "the players didn't buy in and are to blame" takes away any accountability from Riley and to me is bashing the players. Not everything is about Bo f'ing Pelini

These players never really seemed to quit, seemed to be bought in from game 1, but we're put into positions in which they could not succeed by the coaches.

Everyone was hating on Gerry, and then bring up his ejection as a reason the defense had issues in he second half of the Iowa game.

Everyone was so high on Tommy at the beginning of the year. That he made so many improvements in mechanics due to Langsdorf. Then we lost to Illinois, on a windy day throwing the ball. We lose to Purdue passing the ball. We lose to Iowa throwing the ball. And then we say Tommy is retarded (AFhusker), that he can't throw. That he should leave the team. But anyone that suggest we shouldn't pass as much is derided. We can't run the ball 70 times a game in 2015! Our RBs suck, we can't run the ball. Our o line sucks, we can't run the ball. f'ing straw men. I don't want to abandon the pass, but the coaches sure as sh#t don't have a problem abandoning the run.

The blame for every loss is ultimately in the coaches. But to many here there is only blame on the players, so they bash them to protect Riley from criticism.

Find a new word for bash. You've mentioned that many times. Criticism is fair within a game. There is nothing different than College Game Day (Reece Davis, David Pollack, Herbstreit, Desmond Howard - even Danny Kanell, etc) praising or criticizing a player and his play for the reason of winning or losing. If you are so fragile to do so and point to coaches for all losses and wins, than you are missing out on what makes a player a Heisman or why a team can possibly lose a big game. Coaches coach, players perform. And in some cases - players do not perform well enough.

So yeah, find a new word that can mention a player's high's or low's without calling it "bashing" or "calling a player out". I mean seriously.

By the way MO, I know I quoted you. But I am really venting towards ALL who are too sensitive to critique a player or his performance (good or bad) and just call it bashing / end thread. There are some who rip players and it's obvious they are a bit psycho. Then there are those who only fault coaching, staff. They too are kind of whacky.

I just think there is a healthy median/medium that can mention a player, position, or coach that won or lost a game and it's not a "bash".

And fans blame the quarterback who qb'ed for teams that won at least 9 games in each of his previous seasons.

I see your arguments get the same derision as any that tried to defend Joe Dailey in 2004. I'd like to add to your point CM, that NU won 9 games with Tommy when he was a freshman! With two years of winning 9 games under his belt, now, he suddenly is a loser? Good gawd, the historical revision by some of the so called "greatest fans" is stunning! I suggest all those Tommy Armstrong doubters go back and watch how he helped rally NU last year AT Iowa, from 24-7 down, using his arm to make critical throws. Oh wait. I forgot! According to some of the "greatest fans," that win against Iowa didn't count, as a Monkey could have achieved that.

No, a logical person would ask what is different between this year and last, and quickly conclude that a career average coach put Tommy in bad positions all year.

This is 2004 deja vu all over again, with Tommy Armstrong now in Joe Dailey's place as the scapegoat for the sorry defense of a bad coach. A coach who just took a team that finished with a winning record the previous year, and turned them into losers. Yeah, classy NU fans.

Tommy has bad footwork/mechanics. He has always had those issues with the Huskers. In this offense his weaknesses are exposed.

Isn't it ironic how this season was a mirror image of what MR has done his entire career. Win a couple games you should win, lose a couple you should win, lose the toss up games, upset a much better team. The trend will continue.

Talent wise, MSU was and is not better than NU.

Well, player talent wise.

Hey, you came out of hiding after three weeks of wins and positive vibes here, coupled with Pelini's season-ending losses and well-publicized meltdowns. You must be so relieved to get back on schedule with your Riley/Nebraska/Eichorst bashing.

Cool.

Great thread.

Just getting annoyed with the player blaming and bashing. That tends to die down when NU is winning. Now it flares up as an excuse.

FYI, I posted after MSU. Not so much during the bye week.

Armstrong was having a lot of heat go his way after 2 picks to MSU and 3 picks to lowly rutgers. It may have died down because of how we were talking a lot about the wins and the positives to take away, but player criticism was definitely still there.

Isn't it ironic how this season was a mirror image of what MR has done his entire career. Win a couple games you should win, lose a couple you should win, lose the toss up games, upset a much better team. The trend will continue.

Talent wise, MSU was and is not better than NU.

Well, player talent wise.

This type of comment always makes me laugh. Nobody has a way of proving this, but that doesn't stop posters for saying it.

By the way MO, I know I quoted you. But I am really venting towards ALL who are too sensitive to critique a player or his performance (good or bad) and just call it bashing / end thread. There are some who rip players and it's obvious they are a bit psycho. Then there are those who only fault coaching, staff. They too are kind of whacky.

I just think there is a healthy median/medium that can mention a player, position, or coach that won or lost a game and it's not a "bash".

By all means criticize players, but I'm sick of every criticism of a coach met with a Riley defender throwing the players under the bus to defend the coach. I have been extremely critical of TA since he became the starter. But at this point I know who he is.

It's embarrassing the coaches don't.

But when fans day we didn't win because the players didn't buy in, as defense of a coach, and the players were playing their hearts out to me that is bashing.

Funny how you basically disappeared when we were winning...
You mean during a bye week?

Well, for Rillllllllley, a bye week is basically the same as a win, so.............

Funny how you basically disappeared when we were winning...
You mean during a bye week?

Well, for Rillllllllley, a bye week is basically the same as a win, so.............

Instead of blame, I can look at yesterday's game and see what went right and what went wrong.

Right:

Defense kept Iowa from converting a third down. Held them to 21 points.

Westy, Riley, Moore and Carter made some great catches and laid out for several of them.

The running backs ran hard even if it was just three tough yards.

The kickoff coverage made some good plays.

Punt coverage made some good plays.

Drew Brown drilled his field goal attempts.

It was a tight game against an undefeated team at home.

Wrong:

Turnovers, in particular, 4 interceptions that gave the ball back to Iowa.

Penalties on the defense that contributed to the first touchdown and kept another drive alive (unfortunate targeting call).

Chop blocks that moved the ball deep behind the chains.

2 big run plays for scores.

The things that went wrong did hurt. But nothing hurt worse than the poor play at QB and that is why the Huskers did not win.

It was pretty cold and I am still recovering however I thought Iowa Scored 28 points?

All blame lays with the coach. He is the head of the program. Hence it all lays with him.

Letting the blame roll down hill is an odd narrative, that seems to have an agenda.

Using poor player preformance can help explain why the head coach is failing at his job, however until and if ever the head coach takes steps to right the sitution with players the blame continues to be on him and never moves.

If the head coach is doing his best with the crap players we have, that some would want you to believe, then fans need to adjust there expectations.

Just the way I see life.