POB

A true frosh becoming a starting QB is very rare. Has to be something real special. The only frosh QB I can recall taking over the starting role @ NU in 50+ years was Touchdown Tommie(may have been a RSFrosh), and we was special. I doubt POB is that special.

Well Martinez may not have been a true freshman, but he certainly beat out senior Zac Lee in 2010. I see no reason that POB or Darlington or one of the other QBs can't do the same.

Riley and company are feeling the pressure, and know that Nebraska fans are not going to go through the 2016 season without seeing improvements. Keeping TA in charge will be more of the same.

Forgot about TM. I don't see any frosh they may put in there winning more games than TA next year. There's usually the learning curve, especially when for a pro style guy. If POB is super special and can beat out Tommy, then, hey, we're lucky.

I would disagree with you. We only won 5 games this season, and several were close losses where TA couldn't make key throws, or he turned the ball over too much. I don't think 5 games is a high bar for a new/frosh QB.

It's always the backup QB that is the next best thing. We heard that about Bush in the early spring until he pooped the bed in the spring game. I'm hopeful POB can come in and shine, but honestly that's too much to expect from a true frosh.

Josh Rosen.
So we can expect every try freshman QB to be like Josh Rosen? Got it.

he doesn't have to be Josh Rosen. he just has to make better decisions than Tommy to get the starters job. Tommy has the skills if he could just learn to make good decisions. if he doesn't learn than the next guy up might be POB.

A true frosh becoming a starting QB is very rare. Has to be something real special. The only frosh QB I can recall taking over the starting role @ NU in 50+ years was Touchdown Tommie(may have been a RSFrosh), and we was special. I doubt POB is that special.

Well Martinez may not have been a true freshman, but he certainly beat out senior Zac Lee in 2010. I see no reason that POB or Darlington or one of the other QBs can't do the same.

Riley and company are feeling the pressure, and know that Nebraska fans are not going to go through the 2016 season without seeing improvements. Keeping TA in charge will be more of the same.

Forgot about TM. I don't see any frosh they may put in there winning more games than TA next year. There's usually the learning curve, especially when for a pro style guy. If POB is super special and can beat out Tommy, then, hey, we're lucky.

I would disagree with you. We only won 5 games this season, and several were close losses where TA couldn't make key throws, or he turned the ball over too much. I don't think 5 games is a high bar for a new/frosh QB.

I'd be surprised if it panned out that way.

It's always the backup QB that is the next best thing. We heard that about Bush in the early spring until he pooped the bed in the spring game. I'm hopeful POB can come in and shine, but honestly that's too much to expect from a true frosh.

Josh Rosen.
So we can expect every try freshman QB to be like Josh Rosen? Got it.

I don't even know why I would respond to this.

You said: "I'm hopeful POB can come in and shine, but honestly that's too much to expect from a true frosh."

My response with Josh Rosen was that your statement is false. I didn't say anything about rarity or that POB would be like Josh Rosen. I thought it was clear to understand why I said Josh Rosen with what you said in your statement but clearly you forgot what you said.....within 1 hour.

ADS puts words in people's mouth's? Got it.

As a fan and not a coach, its easy for me to say what I wish for. I hope the staff will build for the future and regulate Tommy to a backup role. IDK if POB will be the answer or not, but I have seen enough of Tommy to say that his roller coaster type of play is emotionally exhausting and not good for the team in general. I am sure a new QB will bring on many frustrations for fans as his learning curve progresses, but I can live with that. Mistakes from a QB who is inexperienced or has lack of playing time does not frustrate me near as much as watching an experienced QB do it. I think it may be safe to say that Tommy will continue with lob and pray passes and inconsistent game play. Bring on the next guy.

• Fire 1

Grandpasknee is right. It's great to have hope, but let's not mistake it with hype .

I remember that Frankie London was supposed to be the next Tommie Frazier and on and on with others.. Harrison Beck, that one kid that transferred to Yale, Bubba Starling, Darlington, Bush.... All supposed program changers..

Let's just count our chickens after they're hatched.

Josh Rosen isn't a good example because he's the exception and not the rule. Generally true frosh QBs don't start right away and have success like him.

As for putting putting words in your mouth I don't believe I did. Just responding to your example, and now I'm giving my opinion on why I disagree with it.

Josh Rosen isn't a good example because he's the exception and not the rule. Generally true frosh QBs don't start right away and have success like him.

As for putting putting words in your mouth I don't believe I did. Just responding to your example, and now I'm giving my opinion on why I disagree with it.

He is thee example. You made the general statement of true frosh QB's and happened to be wrong.

I never said that he was the rule. I mentioned him, again, because it's not all that uncommon for True Frosh to be successful.

Here is another example in the same year and SAME CONFERENCE.

Jake Browning - Washington

210/334 (63%) - 2671 yards 16 TD 10 INT 139.7 QBR

Brett Rypien - Boise State

similar numbers as above.

• Fire 1

All he has to do is have a better completion % and take care of the ball.

If POB turns out to be ready, I am sure he will get the chance to play. Riley does want to win and will certainly play the guys he believes will give him the best chance to do so. Tommy A has done many good things and unfortunately too many not so good things. I just spent half an hour debating with my sister who is a dedicated football study and she insists Tommy A is going to be at least 3rd string all conference QB. Now, if that be true, then I guess we will be lucky to have him back next year. I don't think he makes the cut. I think the biggest single stat that a QB needs is the won/loss numbers. If the team is not winning, then he does not make the grade. This is particularly true of a QB whose play is the focal point of the entire offense. To be fair to Tommy, he does not have a great tail back to hand or pitch or even to throw the ball to in order to make the offense really work well. It is true. No running back on this year's team would make the scout team 15 years ago. We don't know for sure what the youngest of our RBs can do for sure but based on the fact that we had so little this year, I am not hopeful at all. The RB recruit from St. Louis (Bryant as I recall his name) will be much better IMO. We stole him away from KState. Bill Snyder has a great eye for talent.

I believe we should plan to see Tommy start but POB and or others will get more playing time, unless the INT risk is greatly reduced in Riley's mind. Tommy does good things but his interceptions and unwillingness to run for first downs when they are stariing him in the face MUST change. If he won't use his legs to move the chains, then we need a pocket passer with a great arm and great eye for finding the open man. Tommy does not search the spectrum for the open guys well. He just doesn't. He made dramatic improvement this year but relapsed to his last year's ways today. Time to move on if he doesn't just wow Riley in the spring.

Josh Rosen.

This^^^

+100

He is thee example. You made the general statement of true frosh QB's and happened to be wrong.

I never said that he was the rule. I mentioned him, again, because it's not all that uncommon for True Frosh to be successful.

Here is another example in the same year and SAME CONFERENCE.

Jake Browning - Washington

210/334 (63%) - 2671 yards 16 TD 10 INT 139.7 QBR

Brett Rypien - Boise State

similar numbers as above.

This^^^ I'll take those stats any day over TA's...welcome to being a WR TA.

I said this in another thread last night. Don't give him the job before he's earned it. Remember Curt Dukes? He was interviewed after he transferred out and said when he got to campus everybody told him he was going to be the man, the next Scott Frost. He said he didn't even have to work for it. So he didn't. If you don't remember Dukes, there's a reason for it, he never played a down for us. He actually had a -38 (that's minus 38) QB rating in the few passes he threw his last year at Duke.

Anyway, POB should know the door is open, but he damn well has to work hard before he beats out a 3 year starter, or even gets the job in 2017. Too many flops to anoint anyone.

• Fire 1

I said this in another thread last night. Don't give him the job before he's earned it. Remember Curt Dukes? He was interviewed after he transferred out and said when he got to campus everybody told him he was going to be the man, the next Scott Frost. He said he didn't even have to work for it. So he didn't. If you don't remember Dukes, there's a reason for it, he never played a down for us. He actually had a -38 (that's minus 38) QB rating in the few passes he threw his last year at Duke.

Anyway, POB should know the door is open, but he damn well has to work hard before he beats out a 3 year starter, or even gets the job in 2017. Too many flops to anoint anyone.

Completely different. Dude didn't give up an MLB career to play football just to flop. Different staff too. He's probably already been promised the gig anyway. No way Langs and Riley want to use TA at QB again.