POB

Well, BYU beat us with their stud frosh QB, jNU beat us with their stud frosh QB, ND is beating everybody not named "Tree" with their stud frosh QB, Josh Rosen yep, have I left anybody out? Sooo, if POB is who everyone here seems to think(fantasize) he is, then what the heck, maybe he can over take the starting role next year. I highly doubt it, but who knows, I hope he's that good.

This is where I"m at too ^^^^

I won't say everbody, but I see a LOT of posters talking about POB coming in and taking the starting job...or pushing Tommy so he gets better...etc, etc, etc.

Wasn't Stanton supposed to do that....or Darlington.....or Bush...and wasn't Tommy supposed to push Martinez or replace him?

POB hasn't taken a single snap even in practice at UN-L.

Am I missing something about him that transcends the other wunderkinds that have come here, and gone?

I hope he's the real deal, but such confidence in a mostly unknown skill baffles me.

It's the can anything be worse than what we had this year? There was much more bad than good with TA this year

Of course they can. Did you watch Purdue?

Did you watch Iowa? I would say Tommy had a much worse day

Could we come up with a more flattering nickname/acronym than POB?

OSAL

Our Savior And Lord

TAO

The Anointed One

NTA

Not Tommy Armstrong

If you've seen The Night Before with Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon Levitt, there is a professional QB character in the movie and his nicknames are:

The Messiah

White Jesus

I would like to submit those since we're giving nicknames to guys who haven't played a down at DONU yet

Could we come up with a more flattering nickname/acronym than POB?

OSAL

Our Savior And Lord

TAO

The Anointed One

NTA

Not Tommy Armstrong

If you've seen The Night Before with Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon Levitt, there is a professional QB character in the movie and his nicknames are:

The Messiah

White Jesus

I would like to submit those since we're giving nicknames to guys who haven't played a down at DONU yet

Nice. I kinda like "White Jesus." let's go with that one.

I'm assuming he white.

• Fire 1

I won't say everbody, but I see a LOT of posters talking about POB coming in and taking the starting job...or pushing Tommy so he gets better...etc, etc, etc.

Wasn't Stanton supposed to do that....or Darlington.....or Bush...and wasn't Tommy supposed to push Martinez or replace him?

POB hasn't taken a single snap even in practice at UN-L.

Am I missing something about him that transcends the other wunderkinds that have come here, and gone?

I hope he's the real deal, but such confidence in a mostly unknown skill baffles me.

It's the can anything be worse than what we had this year? There was much more bad than good with TA this year

If we're going to criticize TA and anoint POB savior, let's at least be accurate. Technically, and statistically, the bolded is false. He could be much better and there are probably better choices for this offense than him out there in this world. But, saying he did more bad than good is short-sighted conjecture.

The most optimistic posters post wt a conditional understanding that this experiment could very easily fall apart in year 2 or 3. After this past year, I don't think there are many "All In for Mike" posters (Mike the coach, not the person). At best there is a 'nervous optimism' by some. In the prediction thread , I predicted one good year of winning the conference and getting to the playoff POB's senior year. This is based more on POB hype & hope than confidence in MR's coaches. That confidence will have to be earned next year now that this 'rebuilding' transition year is completed (funny how Florida, Mich's transition year did not include rebuilding) I think the benefit of the doubt is resting on POB's shoulders. Unfortunately that is a very heavy weight for a young man to carry. Let's face it, if TA starts the majority of games next year. we will not be much better off than this year. I have zero hope that he can improve - unless the coaches change to a 'run' first, pass 2nd O that allows Tommie to hurt the D wt his legs and not his arms. That is why, I'd rather POB begin his learning curve early and fast by starting next year if the hype is actually real. If the hype ends up just being hype (another dud) then we are to be the most pitied among all football fans. We'll be in one heck of a hole.

There is one thing that many who are down on Tommy Armstrong are forgetting or maybe better said just not giving enough weight to when pondering the future and his performance therein. That is - repetitions! The way anyone gets better at something is almost always to practice and practice and practice. Certainly Tommy has had a lot of practice in his QB play over the past three seasons in Lincoln and the time before that in HS. But there is still more time the next few weeks, winter and spring and summer months and then into fall camp. Many mention the pressure of having serious competition for his position which one hopes POB will bring in three weeks. We all know Tommy has a strong arm and can throw the ball plenty hard and plenty far enough to be a very successful QB. His footwork is not good but sometimes these kinds of things are wrong and wrong and then, all of a sudden, they become right. You throw off the wrong foot or off balance until you don't. His insticts in the pocket and avoiding the pass rush are excellent really. He is very hard to sack and it must be incredibly frustratiing for defenses to try to put heat on him. He seems rather oblivious to pressure; perhaps too calm and will throw into coverage, etc. You see this out of almost ALL QBs, even the pros. I saw several passes by the Bama QB into triple coverage in their last game for example.

POB is going to make plenty of freshman mistakes as well. I believe, however, that between the two, Riley and Co will find sufficient quarterbacking to present a very difficult offensive package. Imagine if we play some of both, assuming POB is more the typical pocket passer that throws the passes Tommy struggles with. In event we want more scrambling to avoid good pass rush teams or want more QB running plays, we use Tommy. Certainly one can say we are hinting at our play selection but these coaches have more that sufficiently demonstrated the willingness to make Tommy a gunslinger. At the same time, we are told POB has running ability so his occaisional QB runs might be lethal for defenses not expecting it.

Food for thought. Let's don't give up hope quite yet.

Too much common sense and logic there. It's easier for some to pretend TA is a terrible QB and stupid.

Matt Ryan is considered by many to be a great QB, even elite. Did anyone else see throw he make directly to Lavonte David with less than 2 min to play?

These WCO/pro style passing systems are tough, even for the professionals.

Too much common sense and logic there. It's easier for some to pretend TA is a terrible QB and stupid.

Matt Ryan is considered by many to be a great QB, even elite. Did anyone else see throw he make directly to Lavonte David with less than 2 min to play?

There is a fairly obvious gigantic hole in your logic:

Tommy Armstrong was not recruited to play a pro style offense. If you watched at least one game this year, it was pretty obvious.

There is a fairly obvious gigantic hole in your logic:

Tommy Armstrong was not recruited to play a pro style offense. If you watched at least one game this year, it was pretty obvious.

No hole at all. TA has enough skills at QB to have went something like 17-5 as a starter prior to this year.

This team was good enough to win 10-12 games against this schedule this season if we ran a system more suited for TA.

It's simply absurd that they couldn't grind out at least 8 or 9 wins against this schedule with TA at QB.

The NFL is also full of elite running backs who get stuffed on third and inches, and/or shut down for entire ball games.

Consistent winning football is tough, even for the professionals.

The WCO is perhaps the most effective offensive system yet devised, and a decent high school quarterback knows how to run it.

If you think WCO is merely a pass-happy offense, I'll put that on the list of things you don't know about football.

• Fire 1