Terrell Newby

Mavric

Lucky was a great back.

I think Newby has the potential to be a great back.

For reference I think Ameer is an "elite back."

Personally, the different between being a great back like Lucky and Newby and a really special back, like Helu and Burkhead, is often coaching and scheme. I think that if you took Helu and dropped him on this team, we would be talking about how he's not really that great.

We really really miss Ron Brown, imo.

And Marvin Sanders.....

• Fire 1

Just think he's an average back. He doesn't break tackles, misses holes, and hasn't shown anything extraordinary. Guys like Rex and Ameer made up for the lack of a good OL and made plays out of nothing. I haven't seen that out of any of our backs this year.

This. He is an average back. NU is used to having superior/special running backs, going back deep in history.

It's frustrating that the coaches didn't do a better job of getting other backs REGULARLY involved in the running game. Joe Ganz was very critical of the coaching staff this week for not creating ways to use guys like Wilbon and Taylor in the running game. The coaches are paid a lot of money to figure those things out, and they didn't get it done.

I appreciate Ganz' perspective because really this has been the story all year - not getting guys involved, particularly in the run game. But, I disagree that this falls back on guys like Taylor and Wilbon seeing touches. Wilbon has played in four games this season and if Taylor has played I don't readily remember it. What about Jano and Ozigbo? Those guys have have a 6.5 and 7.2 YPC average, respectively.

The team's recipe for success this year has been when they've run the football well and limited TA to about 30 passes.

I listened to what Ganz said on that round table podcast also. Not that I don't appriciate his insight, but it is all just his opinion. He has one just like everyone else. He was also critical of the secondary play and scheme, saying it was outdated. Which I find odd, I doubt he would tell Mark Dantionio or Pat Narduzzi that there secondary quarters coverage is too simplistic and outdated. I just think Ganz talks out his ass a lot, just so he has something to say.

Oh, and as far as Newby goes I think the comparison to Marlon Lucky is accurate and fair. Lucky was good, but not anything close to his hype. Newby is simillar in style and body type.

He can have an opinion, just like I can disagree with it. ;) ;)

My point, more or less, was I don't understand the justification for mentioning Wilbon/Taylor when neither of them have really seen significant PT this year. Why single them out? What makes them eligible for more touches when Ozigbo played in 10 games and Jano played in all 12?

Not trying to take this out on you, NUinID (nor asking you to answer). I just don't like when people say our 4th and 5th string running backs deserve more touches when I would argue our 1st, 2nd and 3rd string guys didn't see enough to begin with.

• Fire 1

We had a great string of backs.....Helu, Burkhead, Abdullah. So, while some may say T Newby ain't that great........maybe it's the change in coaching that ain't that great......?

I don't think back will have the opportunity to be great in this offense with this staff. L. Phillips or Bo Jackson would probably only average 15 carries per game.

We had a great string of backs.....Helu, Burkhead, Abdullah. So, while some may say T Newby ain't that great........maybe it's the change in coaching that ain't that great......?

I don't think back will have the opportunity to be great in this offense with this staff. L. Phillips or Bo Jackson would probably only average 15 carries per game.

Imani Cross had 19 carries vs. Iowa. Therefore...

Imani Cross > Bo Jackson or Lawrence Phillips.

Lucky was a great back.

I think Newby has the potential to be a great back.

For reference I think Ameer is an "elite back."

Personally, the different between being a great back like Lucky and Newby and a really special back, like Helu and Burkhead, is often coaching and scheme. I think that if you took Helu and dropped him on this team, we would be talking about how he's not really that great.

We really really miss Ron Brown, imo.

I don't want to turn this into a Lucky debate, but I don't think nearly as high about him.

Newby may have potential, but I wish he would speed up finding his peak.

Ameer was in his own class. Spot on with "elite" tag.

I also really liked what Helu and Burkhead brought to table and consider them great backs.

Newby's OK. I think he just lacks the killer finishing mentality you want to see out of a runner (funnily enough, they were talking about this re: Demarco Murray in last Sunday's Eagles game, compared to his backups.) That was the great thing about Imani's emergence towards the end of the year. He wasn't a superstar or anything, but he brought that physicality.

I think there's an element of not maximizing utility too with our RBs, but I don't know that this is well reflected by inside/outside run splits. Teams usually run inside more, and some of the "outside" in-space running Nebraska does is in the form of screen passes or sweeps to the WRs. I'd say Nebraska's running game was anything but vanilla; they tried to mix up all sorts of things to try to get it going. How good a job they did is up for debate, though. Running inside does tend to have less YPC than running outside (it includes all the short yard tries, for example) but it's the same token by which teams should establish a run game even when passing is almost always higher yards-per-attempt.

Lastly, there's a somewhat weird kind of "treating every back as an every-down back" that I always seem to see in the college ranks. I don't know why. The bottom line though, is this: the Huskers in '15 didn't have enough to build their offense around a stellar running game, IMO. Count the personnel and the coaches in that if you like. Would Ameer have blossomed under Reggie Davis? Would Newby be uninspiring under Ron Brown? Fair questions.

Did you intentionally conflated carries in a single game versus average carries per game?

This year, no back averaged more than Newby, who registered less than 12 per game.

That's astounding in retrospect.

NU averaged 36 carries per game. It was truly an NFL style "running back (blocker) by committee" with no RB really allowed to get in a rhythm.

NU was 9th in the B10 in rushing attempts (434).

All of the most successful B10 teams had over 500 attempted rushes, even those that didn't use a particularly mobile QB.

• Fire 1

Did you intentionally conflated carries in a single game versus average carries per game?

This year, no back averaged more than Newby, who registered less than 12 per game.

NU averaged 36 carries per game. It was truly an NFL style "running back (blocker) by committee" with no RB really allowed to get in a rhythm.

All of the most successful B10 teams had over 500 attempted rushes, even those that didn't use a particularly mobile QB.

Apparently you have no sense of humor whatsoever. In addition to other issues.

Tim Beck ran a 60/40 run/pass split and helped Ameer Abdullah become the second most prolific running back in Nebraska history.

He was accused of being too pass happy.

Now that we want to get back to that run-happier time, apparently we're giving all the credit to Ron Brown.

Marlon Lucky wasn't a great running back. He was a pretty decent receiver out of the backfield. To that end, he was probably lucky to be in Callahan's system. He would never have sniffed starting under Osborne or Solich.

Terrell Newby isn't a great running back, either. He wasn't great under Ron Brown. He's not great now.

He's good and I hope he gets better.

But you have to be addicted to your agenda to believe the new coaching staff kept Terrell Newby from blossoming into the great back he'd be on any other team.

By the way, why did Ron Brown hate Andy Janovich so much that he never let this talented, potential NFL player see the field at Nebraska?

Apparently you have no sense of humor whatsoever. In addition to other issues.

I understand you were being facetious. But to be funny, you actually have to address the subject's argument. Not miss the point.

Question, are your personal attacks allowed because you're a mod?

Tim Beck ran a 60/40 run/pass split and helped Ameer Abdullah become the second most prolific running back in Nebraska history.

Now that we want to get back to that run-happier time, apparently we're giving all the credit to Ron Brown.

Marlon Lucky wasn't a great running back. He was a pretty decent receiver out of the backfield. To that end, he was probably lucky to be in Callahan's system. He would never have sniffed starting under Osborne or Solich.

Terrell Newby isn't a great running back, either. He wasn't great under Ron Brown. He's not great now.

But you have to be addicted to your agenda to believe the new coaching staff kept Terrell Newby from blossoming into the great back he'd be on any other team.

By the way, why did Ron Brown hate Andy Janovich so much that he never let this talented, potential NFL player see the field at Nebraska?

I never accused Beck of being too pass happy. With Beck, I could at least discern what he was trying to accomplish and how he used certain plays to set up other plays.

With Riley and Langs, I defy anyone to make a cogent argument for what they try to establish with their "pick a play out of the bag" approach. What are they doing to stress a D?

Newby's early stats were as good or better than Ameer's corresponding year. That's not meaningless

Newby had physical talent, but I don't think it's being developed or utilized. As I said earlier, to listen to Keith Jones' recent interviews. He talks about how he had to learn to play between the tackles. Solich taught him those skills, similar to how Brown taught our string of great backs those skills.

Coaching matters.

As for Jano, I seem to remember Bo speaking highly of him. If the FB had been a prominent part of our offense, I'm sure he would have played more. I wouldn't have been surprised to see him as a h back if the precious staff had been retained. Not sure why your statement is relevant though.

I never accused Beck of being too pass happy. With Beck, I could at least discern what he was trying to accomplish and how he used certain plays to set up other plays.

You may have been busy getting kicked off another Husker bulletin board, but around here the complaints about the offense have been nearly identical since the day Shawn Watson arrived.

With Riley and Langs, I defy anyone to make a cogent argument for what they try to establish with their "pick a play out of the bag" approach. What are they doing to stress a D?

Technically, they were averaging 450 yards and 33 points a game, near the top of the Big 10. There was nary a college football analyst who didn't declare Nebraska's offense dangerous, with Tommy Armstrong being capable of making both sides stress. A cogent argument can also be made that the Husker defense continues to be a bigger problem than the offense, but I'm pretty sure you'll hate it.

Newby's early stats were as good or better than Ameer's corresponding year. That's not meaningless

During any of Newby's first two seasons did you say "Damn! I can't wait to see that guy get more carries!"?

Newby had physical talent, but I don't think it's being developed or utilized. As I said earlier, to listen to Keith Jones' recent interviews. He talks about how he had to learn to play between the tackles. Solich taught him those skills, similar to how Brown taught our string of great backs those skills.

Coaching matters.

And most coaches would do much better with Keith Jones in the backfield. As it was, this staff coaxed 5.3 yards a carry out of a frequently injured Newby, mostly between the tackles as this very thread points out.

As for Jano, I seem to remember Bo speaking highly of him. If the FB had been a prominent part of our offense, I'm sure he would have played more. I wouldn't have been surprised to see him as a h back if the precious staff had been retained. Not sure why your statement is relevant though.

I had to read that sentence several times. Still doesn't make sense. Apparently Bo and his coaches would have done more with Janovich this year than they would have the previous three years, when they were actually in charge of the team. Actually, the statement wasn't supposed to be relevant, just a playful poke at the equally irrelevant speculation about coaches squandering talent. But your response is priceless.

• Fire 3