Goal two would be

2. Consistently in the top 4 in the Big Ten

Icing on the cake:

- Top 20 class each year

- One 4 star QB each year

- One 4 star RB each year

- Two 4 star OL each year

- Two 4 star DL each year

I like this; concise, measurable, and right on target.

You can do this with nearly any class.

Heck look at Bo's "best" class... by ranking that would be 2011. -A class built coming off the pasting of Arizona in the Holliday Bowl and which this past seasons roster in theory should have as it's core backbone.

The top 10 recruits in 2011 according to some of the recruitniks at the time

Aaron Green

Jamal Turner

Charles Jackson

Bubba Starling

Ryan Reeves

Kevin Williams

Todd Peat

David Sutton

David Santos

* and that list doesn't even count 4 star hypes like Tyler Moore or Ryan Klatchko

Of the top 10 only Williams is a core guy at Nebraska and he's a backup.

As for the class as a whole you have One stud in Ameer Abdullah, a small handful of contributors still playing (Williams, Carter and Sterup) and a couple solid guys that graduated (Bondi and Stafford)

The majority of this "top 15" class either flamed out, bailed, or just never showed up. Thank god for Ameer.

• Fire 2

Wish we could of kept Cally for 1 more year...he was in the process of signing a top 5 class that ended up producing stupid amounts of NFL guys on OL and QB spot.

I think this is very revisionist.

The throat slash, "f*cking hillbillies," rumors that he was exclusive towards former players and tradition, stories that he pulled down photos of Husker greats from the stadium...

Bill Callahan may have done a great job recruiting at one point, but there were many reasons to justify his firing that are still valid today outside of some of the ones I listed. And whether it's his choice, employer decisions or a combo of both, I think there's a reason he hasn't found head coaching positions since and it's more than just a personal choice.

• Fire 2

Wish we could of kept Cally for 1 more year...he was in the process of signing a top 5 class that ended up producing stupid amounts of NFL guys on OL and QB spot.

No. He basically had "his team/guys" by year 4. And he failed miserably.

I thought Bo did really well with Callahoot recruits. When he ran out of them is when he started the down hill spiral on run defense.

• Fire 1

Recruiting is only part of being a successful head coach. Callahan brought in a class that seemed great in 2005, but struggled to develop half of the guys. He also had a very good/great class lined up in 2007, but the team totally crapped the bed, and he didn't deserve to be brought back for another chance. Yes, Bo did very well with Callahan's recruits in '09 and even into '10, but Bo and his staff also deserves credit for developing those guys and getting the most out of them.

I think this is very revisionist.

The throat slash, "f*cking hillbillies," rumors that he was exclusive towards former players and tradition, stories that he pulled down photos of Husker greats from the stadium...

Bill Callahan may have done a great job recruiting at one point, but there were many reasons to justify his firing that are still valid today outside of some of the ones I listed. And whether it's his choice, employer decisions or a combo of both, I think there's a reason he hasn't found head coaching positions since and it's more than just a personal choice.

This. One losing season as HC at Nebraska is bad enough. Two? No excuse.

I often think about this. He was forever linked with Peterson and the ousting of a coach intamitely tied to 90s legendary success which, along with cosgrove, was his ultimate demise. However, that 09 team that trounced zona was one of the best teams in the country at year end. Throw in a couple more of BCs recruiting classes and he could have built something.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't have been fired, but interesting to think about.

I don't think BC is the devil this state makes him out to be. The timing was terrible.

Clownahan could recruit talent. There really is no debating this. However, Clownahan was also extremely poor at developing that said talent. One of the main reasons the 09' team was one of the best at season's end was because of Suh. Had Clownahan and crew been kept, it's likely Suh would have been a 4th round or later draft pick. The lightswitch for Suh really didn't go off until about four or five games into the 08' season.

This is where Bo came into the picture. He could coach rather well, but he couldn't recruit worth a darn. This is why there was a fall off after the Clownahan recruits graduated.

As I said on the Newby thread...

What Callahan's 2005 recruiting class shows clearly, is that those who have been crying forever that it's somehow more difficult to recruit to Nebraska, are just plain WRONG.

Those complaining and crying that it's soooo hard to recruit at Nebraska are just making lame excuses for their own poor performance and trying desperately to escape responsibility for their own poor recruiting.

It takes coaches-recruiting coordinators with talent at recruiting... in order to have great athletes come to Nebraska... the exact same thing it takes at every other college. It's just that simple.

No more excuses.

And one of the guys responsible for those recruits is no longer coaching because of scandals with an agent. He was also being investigated for possible recruiting violations at 2 different schools.

I do agree that we can get top talent to commit but it wont be at the rate of other schools that are in the middle of recruiting hotbeds. I think the 2017 class has the potential to be a once in a decade type of class for us. Lots and lots of potential.

I've always said that one of the greatest threats or maybe the greatest threat to our program is the mindset... that starts at the very top and has filtered down to some fans... is the mindset that ASSUMES FAILURE.

It's not a mindset about what I stated, it's just pure fact. Teams that are in the middle of or in close proximity to recruiting hotbeds will almost always have better recruiting classes year in and year out over a team that is distant from one.

No it's not a fact... it's an excuse.

You honestly don't pay attention to recruiting. The top states for recruiting are California, Florida, Texas, Ohio, and Georgia. The Northeast and East Coast produce lots of talents also. Take a look at these classes and tell me that proximity doesn't play a roll.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2010/all/all

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2011/all/all

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2012/all/all

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2013/all/all

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2014/all/all

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2015/all/all

Alabama's current recruiting class highest rated recruits 4**** and 5***** players:

1-NY... 1-MISS... 1-MD... 1-NC... 2-TX... 1-CA... 1-VA... 2-AL

That means that 80% of Alabama's top recruits are from somewhere other than Alabama and in fact they are from all over the country. Their top recruit is from California.

Great coaching and great recruiting is the key... not where the team is located. If you have great coaches the players will come... from all over the country.

No more excuses.

They have been the best team and recruiting power for the last 5-8 years. Not a good comparison at all. It's much easier to recruit to nice weather and with higher population densities nearby. We have Kansas City and that's about it, maybe Denver.

As I said on the Newby thread...

What Callahan's 2005 recruiting class shows clearly, is that those who have been crying forever that it's somehow more difficult to recruit to Nebraska, are just plain WRONG.

Those complaining and crying that it's soooo hard to recruit at Nebraska are just making lame excuses for their own poor performance and trying desperately to escape responsibility for their own poor recruiting.

It takes coaches-recruiting coordinators with talent at recruiting... in order to have great athletes come to Nebraska... the exact same thing it takes at every other college. It's just that simple.

No more excuses.

And one of the guys responsible for those recruits is no longer coaching because of scandals with an agent. He was also being investigated for possible recruiting violations at 2 different schools.

I do agree that we can get top talent to commit but it wont be at the rate of other schools that are in the middle of recruiting hotbeds. I think the 2017 class has the potential to be a once in a decade type of class for us. Lots and lots of potential.

I've always said that one of the greatest threats or maybe the greatest threat to our program is the mindset... that starts at the very top and has filtered down to some fans... is the mindset that ASSUMES FAILURE.

It's not a mindset about what I stated, it's just pure fact. Teams that are in the middle of or in close proximity to recruiting hotbeds will almost always have better recruiting classes year in and year out over a team that is distant from one.

No it's not a fact... it's an excuse.

You honestly don't pay attention to recruiting. The top states for recruiting are California, Florida, Texas, Ohio, and Georgia. The Northeast and East Coast produce lots of talents also. Take a look at these classes and tell me that proximity doesn't play a roll.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2010/all/all

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2011/all/all

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2012/all/all

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2013/all/all

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2014/all/all

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/teamrank/2015/all/all

Alabama's current recruiting class highest rated recruits 4**** and 5***** players:

1-NY... 1-MISS... 1-MD... 1-NC... 2-TX... 1-CA... 1-VA... 2-AL

That means that 80% of Alabama's top recruits are from somewhere other than Alabama and in fact they are from all over the country. Their top recruit is from California.

Great coaching and great recruiting is the key... not where the team is located. If you have great coaches the players will come... from all over the country.

No more excuses.

They have been the best team and recruiting power for the last 5-8 years. Not a good comparison at all. It's much easier to recruit to nice weather and with higher population densities nearby. We have Kansas City and that's about it, maybe Denver.

Another person who has bought into the lame excuses.

Callahan proved in 2005, and Alabama's class this year proves that what you say is just not true. Great players want to play for great coaches. They will travel or move to wherever that great coach is at. Alabama's best player this year is from California. That alone proves your comment about better weather or higher population to be patently false and it's always been false.

It is no more difficult to recruit to Nebraska than any other school.

The whole "Nebraska is hard to recruit to" excuse thing is just that... an excuse used by those who want to escape responsibility for their own recruiting failures.

Learn to think for yourself.

And another thing. You say Alabama is the best team and best recruiting power. Why cant we be the best team? Instead you make the worst mistake... you assume failure and make excuses for it. Not me.