The Bell’s Already Rung on Tommy Armstrong Versus Patrick O’Brien

eightlaces

POB probably won't be Josh Rosen, but prime example of a true freshman QB coming in and playing pretty solid. POB will make some little plays with his feet as well, but will look more like Beathard running than TA. Armstrong's spins out of the pocket also got him in trouble some of the times where he lost track of WRs or fell in the DEs lap.

I don't understand why people don't want a QB here that can THROW the ball. A few more completions and 7 less INTs would have won us an extra 2-3 games this season.

Armstrong

2,856 yards - 54.8%

21 TDs, 16 INTs

Rosen

3,351 yards - 59.5%

20 TDs, 9 INTs

• Fire 2

I heard from a very good source with very close connections to POB, that TA is getting Dailey-ed (knocked down to #3 or #4 on the depth chart) and the job has already been handed to POB.

Barring injury, POB will be your starter next season. TA will likely transfer after spring.

No way...we have not had a "good source" post in a long time!

photo-12715.jpg?_r=1417624901

• Fire 3

I heard from a very good source with very close connections to POB, that TA is getting Dailey-ed (knocked down to #3 or #4 on the depth chart) and the job has already been handed to POB.

Barring injury, POB will be your starter next season. TA will likely transfer after spring.

So Riley has already anointed POB before he even makes a practice? Considering Riley recruited Stanton pretty hard when he was at Oregon State and then couldn't even get him on the 105 roster, this is pretty hard to believe. I'm not sure how accurate of information could possibly be coming from those close to POB. If it were coming from sources close to Riley, it might have some traction.

The guy is also pretty close to Langsdorf. And I think most of these decisions are Langsdorf's. Riley is a delegator.

Isn't it also the case that Eli Manning followed up one of his worst statistical years with one of his best statistical years under the tutelage of Fat Dan?

Whatever.

Dan's resume would seem to fit the bill for "experienced, professional and competent" but if every facet of the Riley hire is a disaster we might as well go with the flow.

Yes 2013 was one of, if not his worst. And while subjective, 2014 was one of his better, but if we're using QBR, it was his 3rd best.

So, it's not like Eli was hot garbage before 2014. And I'm not sure why he was so bad in 2013, injury, bad year, system change, etc, but the sample size isn't enough to contribute it specifically to a QB coach.

I guess the point was simply that if the New York Giants of the NFL thought Danny Langsdorf was professional, experienced and competent enough to hire as their Quarterbacks Coach, then he shouldn't be considered hot garbage when hired by the University of Nebraska.

Unless of course that's just the starting point for anything attached to the hiring of Mike Riley.

So NFL teams never make mistakes when it comes to coaching hires?

I remember that Jay Norvell was a "hot commodity" for the Raiders back when he was being considered for employment at NU, how'd that go?

Seeing how this staff has bungled so many elementary things this year, yes, hot garbage is the starting point.

No way...we have not had a "good source" post in a long time!

Ha! This is so great, I especially love when the very good source makes predictions that are completely not predictable.

I don't understand why people don't want a QB here that can THROW the ball.

Quite the straw man here.

Most of us understand that having a mobile QB is the now and the future of football. We don't want to be dragged back into the old days of statute footed QBs.

Alabama has won with all 'statue footed QBs'

FSU won with Winston who was a PASSER - only ran for 284 yards in 2 seasons - 65 TD passes

I'm okay with a dual QB, but call me when we get a guy like Newton, Mariota, Tebow etc. Not gonna happen

I don't understand why people don't want a QB here that can THROW the ball.

Quite the straw man here.

Most of us understand that having a mobile QB is the now and the future of football. We don't want to be dragged back into the old days of statute footed QBs.

Alabama has won with all 'statue footed QBs'

FSU won with Winston who was a PASSER - only ran for 284 yards in 2 seasons - 65 TD passes

I'm okay with a dual QB, but call me when we get a guy like Newton, Mariota, Tebow etc. Not gonna happen

And some amazing RB's and defenses that had like 9 guys drafted...

You won't find a bigger Taylor Martinez supporter than me, but Taylor had as many runs like that in his career as Tommy had in the non-conference schedule this year.

I didn't say NO OTHER QUARTERBACK WAS MOBILE. I said Tommy was the most mobile quarterback we've had since Crouch. That's not a controversial statement.

TM was a different runner than TA. Not a lot of making people miss, but amazing speed. Below are some big runs in 2010 before the foot injury.

W. Kentucky - 46 yard TD run
Idaho - 67 yard TD run
K State - 35 yard TD run
K State - 80 yard TD run
K State - 41 TD run
  • Fire 1