In which we bellyache about Bo and/or Riley some more.

zoogs

I enjoy that someone spins Boyd's words of "we're a year and half away," meaning they are a year and a half away from athleticism levels he believes is championship material, and then turding another thread up into a Bo vs Riley record sh#tstorm. This sh#t is outplayed.

This^

The truth is Riley cost Nebraska at least 3 more wins this year through bad coaching and not just talent. Is the talent championship caliber? Probably not, buuuut they did beat Michigan St...so

No "probably" about it, we do not have Championship caliber talent, that is what we strive for. Bo could not do it, give Riley a chance to recruit and mold that talent into a championship level team instead of bitching that he could not get it done with obviously inferior talent.
Inferior to who?

BYU? Nope.

Miami? Maybe.

Illinois? Nope.

Wisconsin? Not this year.

Northwestern? Nope.

Purdue? Nope.

Iowa? Nope.

Hmm.

Please take Miami off that list. And I'd also take off Wisky, imo.

So Bo Pelini can win 9-10 games a year with no talent, but Riley will need 1.5 years to get the talent needed to get passed 6 wins?

Any way you slice it, it's hard to get past this point.
Why do you guys consistently try to misrepresent the talent that Bo had on the team and act like we won't notice?

He had NFL caliber running backs EVERY YEAR he was here. He had Suh and some of the nastiest DBs early on and one of the best LBs in the NFL. He won 9 games last year and had three most talented players on the team drafted. Three cornerstone players the offense and defense were absolutely built around.

But by all means, continue to act like Bo coached with no talent.

Can't give Bo credit for winning 9-10 games every year, but we can sure blame him for only a 5 win team that he didn't even coach.

Can't make this stuff up. Some of you actually think this way.

Nebraska is not a talent-less team, but BP's tenure had it's share of recruiting misses and busts, particularly in key areas that could be benefitting the team right now (offensive line is the one squad I look at most here.)

So, to me, it's not a matter of 'Bo had enough to win 9 but now all of sudden Riley doesn't have enough to win more than five.' It's a matter of the right talent meshing with the coaching. I don't think the talent is where this coaching staff needed it to be; however, I also don't think the staff did as good of a job as they could this year, either. It's certainly a combination in my opinion.

• Fire 1

So Bo Pelini can win 9-10 games a year with no talent, but Riley will need 1.5 years to get the talent needed to get passed 6 wins?

Could argue we lost a fair amount of talent from last years team but the biggest thing to look at his how talent matches system.

Bo had his struggles with some of Bills guys because of fit with his system. A few guys rose to the top because of how good they were but that happens with all new staffs. Talent doesnt match system.

No doubt it was a scheme problem. Round peg... well you know.

• Fire 1

Why do you guys consistently try to misrepresent the talent that Bo had on the team and act like we won't notice?

He had NFL caliber running backs EVERY YEAR he was here. He had Suh and some of the nastiest DBs early on and one of the best LBs in the NFL. He won 9 games last year and had three most talented players on the team drafted. Three cornerstone players the offense and defense were absolutely built around.

Can't give Bo credit for winning 9-10 games every year, but we can sure blame him for only a 5 win team that he didn't even coach.

Nebraska is not a talent-less team, but BP's tenure had it's share of recruiting misses and busts, particularly in key areas that could be benefitting the team right now (offensive line is the one squad I look at most here.)

So, to me, it's not a matter of 'Bo had enough to win 9 but now all of sudden Riley doesn't have enough to win more than five.' It's a matter of the right talent meshing with the coaching. I don't think the talent is where this coaching staff needed it to be; however, I also don't think the staff did as good of a job as they could this year, either. It's certainly a combination in my opinion.

Agreed.

I enjoy that someone spins Boyd's words of "we're a year and half away," meaning they are a year and a half away from athleticism levels he believes is championship material, and then turding another thread up into a Bo vs Riley record sh#tstorm. This sh#t is outplayed.

This^

The truth is Riley cost Nebraska at least 3 more wins this year through bad coaching and not just talent. Is the talent championship caliber? Probably not, buuuut they did beat Michigan St...so

No "probably" about it, we do not have Championship caliber talent, that is what we strive for. Bo could not do it, give Riley a chance to recruit and mold that talent into a championship level team instead of bitching that he could not get it done with obviously inferior talent.
Inferior to who?

BYU? Nope.

Miami? Maybe.

Illinois? Nope.

Northwestern? Nope.

Purdue? Nope.

Iowa? Nope.

Hmm.

Equal or lesser talent, yup. Where we were equal, our players were mentally inferior and that is why we lost. Michigan St had better players any yet we wanted it more or mentally superior in that game.

It is if you ignore Ameer, Bell, Gregory and a healthy DPE. Otherwise, not so much.

Already posted way up at #26

^^^This^^^

This^

Inferior to who?

BYU? Nope.

Miami? Maybe.

Illinois? Nope.

Northwestern? Nope.

Purdue? Nope.

Iowa? Nope.

Hmm.

I'll give you Miami. Wisky, maybe, but watching that game I find it hard to say we had "obviously inferior" talent. Obviously inferior execution, for sure. Inferior gameplan, definitely.

Also, I definitely agree that the talent needs an upgrade. We all want to see our Huskers in the top 10, top 5, regularly competing for and winning confernece titles and be in the national conversation, and we don't have a lot of the type of athletes needed to be there right now. However, we were able to beat one top 5 team and should have beaten another. Teams that have "obviously inferior talent" don't do that. "Obviously inferior talent" was absolutely not the reason for the bulk of our losses this year. Blame it on the transition, blame it on game management, players not executing, overall coaching, etc., which can be and has been discussed ad nauseam and opinions will vary. Maybe we lack talent compared to some of the top teams, but not to most of the teams on our schedule.

• Fire 2

This^

Inferior to who?

BYU? Nope.

Miami? Maybe.

Illinois? Nope.

Northwestern? Nope.

Purdue? Nope.

Iowa? Nope.

Hmm.

I'll give you Miami. Wisky, maybe, but watching that game I find it hard to say we had "obviously inferior" talent. Obviously inferior execution, for sure. Inferior gameplan, definitely.

Also, I definitely agree that the talent needs an upgrade. We all want to see our Huskers in the top 10, top 5, regularly competing for and winning confernece titles and be in the national conversation, and we don't have a lot of the type of athletes needed to be there right now. However, we were able to beat one top 5 team and should have beaten another. Teams that have "obviously inferior talent" don't do that. "Obviously inferior talent" was absolutely not the reason for the bulk of our losses this year. Blame it on the transition, blame it on game management, players not executing, overall coaching, etc., which can be and has been discussed ad nauseam and opinions will vary. Maybe we lack talent compared to some of the top teams, but not to most of the teams on our schedule.

Agree mostly in Wisky thoughts. I'd call it pretty close with them the slight edge, I bet recruiting rankings over that time would too. Combine that with talent that fit a whole different scheme vs talent that fit their scheme they had the advantage.

This^

Inferior to who?

BYU? Nope.

Miami? Maybe.

Illinois? Nope.

Northwestern? Nope.

Purdue? Nope.

Iowa? Nope.

Hmm.

Agree mostly in Wisky thoughts. I'd call it pretty close with them the slight edge, I bet recruiting rankings over that time would too. Combine that with talent that fit a whole different scheme vs talent that fit their scheme they had the advantage.

Fair enough. Definitely agree that they had the advantage in talent fit to scheme.

This^

Inferior to who?

BYU? Nope.

Miami? Maybe.

Illinois? Nope.

Northwestern? Nope.

Purdue? Nope.

Iowa? Nope.

Hmm.

Fair enough. Definitely agree that they had the advantage in talent fit to scheme.
On that note I think it'd also be interesting to look at NW rankings for the classes currently playing and see how close we are. I think it'd be closer then some think.

Edit: Nope I was wrong. Us and NW aren't close.

Let's not ignore Bo and Co's ineptitude recruiting that put us in this situation partially as well.

I would add that Riley gets this years talent not last years' (AKA not an NFL running back). At least Callahan did not leave a bare cupboard. Riley still under performed and he was too interested in getting his system into place, not catering to the players talents so he better make the best of the mulligan he gets this year.

• Fire 1

I guess you would call me a bo 'hater'. I'm willing to give MR 3 or maybe even 4 years to get this program turned around. Riley knows he has to win or will be shown the door and will leave peaceably. unlike the last jerk who felt he was owed a lifetime job for being the worlds worst jerk. bo didn't get fired for his coaching or graduating %'s, he got fired for how he treated the rest of his job! MR at least fits what i want people to remember about NE people. I don't wanna be embarssed everytime were on TV or when not, we make sportscenter highlites with something bo did that was plain stupid. I don't miss the blow out losses or daring people to fire him! so you bolievers or armchair QB's can now run there mouths!

• Fire 2