Uh oh. Even coach Cav is calling out the OL.

lo country

To be honest, this is very standard fare for what a coach is going to say after the season. Coaches will offer plenty of praise and encouragement (and this is no exception), as well as plenty of stern "We need to improve", etc.

Of course they're not going to be patting themselves on the back. Nor should they -- even if this were a 12-win season, there's going to be some kind of "get to work" theme instilled. Or so you'd hope.

• Fire 2

JOHN-RARIDON-150507-PRO.JPG

I'll tell you something encouraging: Our best committed recruit right now is an O-lineman. John Raridon. Strong as a bull. And FAST! He is the future. Might be the start of a whole new pipeline. LINK :thumbs:

Does he have any brothers?

Ha ha! I dunno about that. But one can always hope. :lol:

Part of it is kids now are softer than ever

Kids are softer, but so is society as a whole. Criticism is taboo now. Just look at HuskerMax. It's a mortal sin to call out a player on that board.

Noticed that on that board as well; including censoring who could be talked about - (Bo Pelini discussion banned) On to the subject.....

I have no idea on the O line. What I do see though is players getting man handled at times, taking plays off, slow to react etc. Other times, they look fresh, strong and focused. Head scratcher in the consistency department?

I'll tell you something encouraging: Our best committed recruit right now is an O-lineman. John Raridon. Strong as a bull. And FAST! He is the future. Might be the start of a whole new pipeline. LINK :thumbs:

I am guessing he will play tackle?

Not sure. He's a guard in HS. But it looks like he has the frame to put on some muscle. Let's get him in that world class weight room of ours and find out what we got!

To be honest, this is very standard fare for what a coach is going to say after the season. Coaches will offer plenty of praise and encouragement (and this is no exception), as well as plenty of stern "We need to improve", etc.

Exactly. This is what coaches say in the offseason.

“There are some guys that really have to grow up and get stronger,” Cavanaugh said. “I’ve told a lot of them ‘you have to get serious.’ I just looked at this: we haven’t had an All-American (offensive lineman) here since 2001. So let’s set our sights a hell of a lot higher.

“We’ve got to go to work and get a lot more serious and toughen up and all that other stuff.”

I am guessing he will play tackle?

Not sure. He's a guard in HS. But it looks like he has the frame to put on some muscle. Let's get him in that world class weight room of ours and find out what we got!

I was going to say, he has a similar body to Nick Gates

It would appear that this staff is starting to openly challenge the guys to get tougher, nastier and stronger. I like it. Just like I liked when Corey Raymond said look at them and look at us referring to USC. NU needs to quit resting on its never to repeated run in the 90's.

I like the fact the staff (at least Cav and Boyd) are talking about the elephant in the room. If I had to guess, the locker room didn't work so now taking a page from Husker Power of old, the results are not printed, but the expectations are. I like it.

There are some guys that really have to grow up and get stronger, Cavanaugh said. Ive told a lot of them you have to get serious. I just looked at this: we havent had an All-American (offensive lineman) here since 2001. So lets set our sights a hell of a lot higher.

Weve got to go to work and get a lot more serious and toughen up and all that other stuff.

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/cavanaugh-talks-about-offensive-line-and-the-future

This staff might not be winners (yet), but they "get" what needs to be done.

Wow, 2001. Really? That is just sad.

To be fair Spencer Long was on his way before an injury.

• Fire 4