A few statistical tidbits

Red Five

You folks are taking this thread down the same f'ing path as all of the other threads. It's getting old

I need to take my own advice from my disclaimer and not participate in the garbage.

Every single f'n thread ends the same. Its going to be a long time to September.

Please keep these posts coming. It is interesting to see our strengths and weaknesses. These posts are fun and interesting to read, you just have to ignore some of the complaints that come with a losing season.

You folks are taking this thread down the same f'ing path as all of the other threads. It's getting old

Pretty much just one guy instigating it.
There are 4-6. They have been the same for over a year.

Some of them have been given bans. A good portion of the more persistent instigators can no longer post.

Cm lost credibility ages ago.

Is this "credibility" awarded or withdrawn by committee, popular vote, a secret grading system, or by another method? Can I also arbitrarily give and take "cred" as I see fit? Because it would be heady stuff to speak on behalf of the entire body of posters / forum / fanbase / Husker nation.

Or maybe you are just passing your personal opinion off as something more. Yeah, let's go with that.

Is this "credibility" awarded or withdrawn by committee, popular vote, a secret grading system, or by another method? Can I also arbitrarily give and take "cred" as I see fit? Because it would be heady stuff to speak on behalf of the entire body of posters / forum / fanbase / Husker nation.

Or maybe you are just passing your personal opinion off as something more. Yeah, let's go with that.

Because of this post, you just lost credibility.

:lol:

• Fire 1

Because of this post, you just lost credibility.

:lol:

Pretty much.

Crazy how you can go from having a pathetic rush defense and a dominant pass defense to the complete opposite of both in a single year with essentially the same personnel. Anyone that still thinks Pelini's issues with run defense were anything but scheme is out of their minds. That was never going to work in this league. Jury is still out on Banker's pass defense, but at least we aren't getting driven into the ground for 7 yards a carry anymore.

The entire Pac 12 (and any program with a decent passing attack) disagrees.

Our pass D wasn't exactly stellar in Bo's first year either. He seemed to manage a turnaround there in year 2.

That's a fair point. I would argue, however, that we played in a potent Big XII conference. In Bo's first year, 2008, we played several teams that scored a huge number of points.

This season, we gave up quite a bit through the air to average passing teams (Miami, Southern Miss) and a lot to teams that don't like to throw the ball. If I remember correctly, Joel Stave had a career day against Nebraska. That's not to say they can't get better, but I think there's enough evidence to warrant consideration of whether or not Banker is the guy. I think there's a reason he was on the hot seat at Oregon St.

Crazy how you can go from having a pathetic rush defense and a dominant pass defense to the complete opposite of both in a single year with essentially the same personnel. Anyone that still thinks Pelini's issues with run defense were anything but scheme is out of their minds. That was never going to work in this league. Jury is still out on Banker's pass defense, but at least we aren't getting driven into the ground for 7 yards a carry anymore.

Our pass D wasn't exactly stellar in Bo's first year either. He seemed to manage a turnaround there in year 2.

That's a fair point. I would argue, however, that we played in a potent Big XII conference. In Bo's first year, 2008, we played several teams that scored a huge number of points.

This season, we gave up quite a bit through the air to average passing teams (Miami, Southern Miss) and a lot to teams that don't like to throw the ball. If I remember correctly, Joel Stave had a career day against Nebraska. That's not to say they can't get better, but I think there's enough evidence to warrant consideration of whether or not Banker is the guy. I think there's a reason he was on the hot seat at Oregon St.

Southern Miss was far from an "average" passing team. They were #12 in passing offense at 330/game. Also, I'd consider BYU (300/game) and Miami (277/game) above average at numbers 20 and 29 respectively.

Was our passing D bad? Yup. But using So Miss and Miami as examples to show how bad isn't the best way to go about it.

Posters do that all the time. Go ahead and try it sometime, plenty of other people have. biggrin1.gif

2015 was the 1st time since 1999 that we didn't lose a game by more than 10 points

2015 was the 1st time we have gone 3-1 in our last 4 games since 2009 (we last went 4-0 in 2008)

This blows my mind

2015 was the 1st time since 1999 that we didn't lose a game by more than 10 points

This is what I was hoping for with a new staff

2015 was the 1st time we have gone 3-1 in our last 4 games since 2009 (we last went 4-0 in 2008)

All things considered, of the four were two Top Ten teams, both undefeated, late season games.....And the Huskers came close to going 4-0. Throw in UCLA bowl game and well....

• Fire 2

Southern Miss was far from an "average" passing team. They were #12 in passing offense at 330/game. Also, I'd consider BYU (300/game) and Miami (277/game) above average at numbers 20 and 29 respectively.

Was our passing D bad? Yup. But using So Miss and Miami as examples to show how bad isn't the best way to go about it.

They were the teams that came to mind.

You don't rank among the worst in the country by facing only a handful of passing teams ranked in the top 25 in passing. We're lucky we played in a B1G conference that couldn't exploit our pass defense more than they already did. We would've been in for an ugly year, as far as the scores to some of our losses are concerned.

The thread could be about Mike Riley pulling a pregnant woman out of a fire on his way home from serving meals to homeless after spending the afternoon finalizing his thesis for the cure for cancer and CM would still derp it.
  • Fire 9

People bemoan the blowouts of past seasons, and I get that, but at least those losses were often against teams that were favored to be Nebraska (e.g., Wisconsin last year was -4). I wish there was an easy way to compare NU's records against spreads across each year.

So because a team was favored over us by less than a touchdown a blowout loss is ok?

We have been favored and lost many times over the last handful of years. Its nothing new.

Minnesota 2014: NU-10 lost by 4

Iowa 2013: NU -3 lost by 21

Minnesota 2013: NU -10.5 lost by 11

UCLA 2012: NU -5 lost by 6

Wisconsin 2012: NU -3 lost by 39

Northwestern 2011: NU -17.5 lost by 3

Bolded the important part. Riley has essentially lost games we were favored in during his first season as Bo's entire tenure. I get that different people see losses differently, but here's the rub. Pelini had a low floor, but a high ceiling. We traded in a low floor/high ceiling couch for a high floor/low ceiling coach, but at least we competed for championships.

To be fair, Riley has also won about as many big games as Bo did his entire tenure. How many top ten teams did Bo beat? One. Mizzou, 2010. Did Bo ever win a bowl game where we were the dog by 7 points? And speaking of Bo's bowl games, I think that list above missed our loss to Washington in the 2010 Holiday bowl. The year we played Washington twice.

Speaking of 2010, 3 of our 4 losses were as favorites

Texas: NU, -10 lost by 7

A&M: NU -2.5, lost by 3

Washington: NU -14, lost by 12

. I still don't acknowledge that aTm "loss"
  • Fire 3

This blows my mind

This is what I was hoping for with a new staff

All things considered, of the four were two Top Ten teams, both undefeated, late season games.....And the Huskers came close to going 4-0. Throw in UCLA bowl game and well....

The 4-0 thing really surprised me. In fact, we have gone 4-0 in our last 4 games only once since 1999. I know we tend to play "tougher" teams at the end (CCGs and bowls), but once in 15 years we have ended 4-0?

2015 3-1

2014 1-3

2013 2-2

2012 2-2

2011 2-2

2010 1-3

2009 3-1

2008 4-0

2007 1-3

2006 2-2

2005 3-1

2004 1-3

2003 3-1

2002 1-3

2001 2-2

2000 3-1

• Fire 2

Carry the ball rarely, and you'll find you don't fumble it much.

You lose all credibility by saying this. This season, Nebraska averaged 37.4 and 37.7 pass and rush attempts per game, respectively (38.9 / 35.7 if you don't include the UCLA game which skews the numbers a bit). I stopped reading the other stuff you said after seeing this. The game with the highest number of rushing attempts (62 against UCLA) had only one fumble which was caused by a bullsh!t uncalled facemask penalty.

Feel free to focus on a tree for the forest. That said, NU rushed 25%+ less this year than last.

And that is not the same as "carry the ball rarely" and so his point still stands right?