Valentine declares for the draft

I may be in the minority, but I think it was a prudent decision.

VV has fought injuries his entire career at Nebraska. I just don't see that miraculously changing if he chose to come back. In fact, he risked just the opposite, more damaging injuries that would negatively affect his draft stock. With the loss of Collins (and Gangwish), VV would have been asked to do a whole lot more next year. There is certainly some chance of upside in staying if he would have got healthier and had a breakout year. I just don't think the risk of coming back outweighs the potential benefits he can reap by leaving early. Also, he has already earned his degree to fall back on.

While you are still relatively healthy, go see what you can earn young man. Good luck!

VV has fought injuries his entire career at Nebraska. I just don't see that miraculously changing if he chose to come back. In fact, he risked just the opposite, more damaging injuries that would negatively affect his draft stock. With the loss of Collins (and Gangwish), VV would have been asked to do a whole lot more next year. There is certainly some chance of upside in staying if he would have got healthier and had a breakout year. I just don't think the risk of coming back outweighs the potential benefits he can reap by leaving early. Also, he has already earned his degree to fall back on.

While you are still relatively healthy, go see what you can earn young man. Good luck!

Q, I think me and you are the only ones who think that VV made a good decision.

• Fire 1

I really think Valentine would have benefited tremendously by coming back. Collins, not as much.

He has good size, and I get the DT spot isn't as much as a stat stuffing postion, but I thought Maurice out played him this season.

How would have Valentine benefited by coming back for another year at NU? I'm just curious to why so many people are saying this.

Because it would have given him a chance to actually show that he's a dominant athlete at the DT position and not just a guy who occasionally makes a play when he's not taking plays off or in the shop getting repairs for a bum wheel.

I still don't see how he would have gone into the top 2 rounds by coming back for another year at NU. There was always going to be doubts about him from NFL scouts. Now, he doesn't have to worry about getting injured again while at NU, and he can prove himself to NFL scouts. The guy has the size and quickness to make it in the NFL. Yes, there are doubts about his motor and willing to play through injuries, and that will cause VV's draft position to be in the 4-6 round range. But, he's just hoping to get drafted and go from there. I can totally understand why he's doing this.

I find it surprising. IMO, he was our fourth best DT last year after Collins and the Kevins. He just never really lived up to the hype, IMO. I think he would have been better served staying another year, showcasing his stats without having to play in Collins' shadow, and hopefully proving to scouts that he can get through a full season without major injury.

I understand what you are saying, but NFL guys don't draft players from their college stats. They draft guys on their skills and their potential to be a good-great NFL player.

I disagree; look at Suh. He would have basically been VV had he left after his junior year. Prototypical size, athleticism, etc., but would have been a late draft pick at best. Comes back for his senior year, explodes onto the scene, is runner up for the Heisman (remember that?) and goes in the first round. Not saying VV could have made that kind of transition, but I'm not sure he could do much worse than where he'll be drafted now (assuming he's even drafted).

Nothing says "NFL potential" like a guy who realizes he will have to step up for this team to succeed and decides to cut and run instead. Not saying that's his rationale, but if you're right that it was, that would concern me as an NFL GM. I would definitely put a check next to the "Looks for the easy way out" box.

• Fire 1

Hujan, your comparison to Suh is way off base. Suh was not considered a "late round pick" before his senior year. If anything, he was considered a late 1st to 2nd round pick. Yes, he benefited by coming back and having a dominant season, but Valentine is not Suh. VV will never dominate like Suh did. That's why I have been saying his ceiling has always been a 3rd-4th round pick. VV will get drafted and then hope to do well enough to get a 2nd contract in the NFL. The 2nd contract is where players are earning the big money in the NFL.

Nothing says "NFL potential" like a guy who realizes he will have to step up for this team to succeed and decides to cut and run instead. Not saying that's his rationale, but if you're right that it was, that would concern me as an NFL GM. I would definitely put a check next to the "Looks for the easy way out" box.

I think you're taking it the wrong way; I don't think he's looking for the "easy way out." I think he is making the smartest decision for him. I don't think it is, "oh, Maliek is gone, I'm going to have to work harder and do more." I think it is, "my snaps are going to increase greatly, and in turn my chance of injury. Is the upside worth the risk knowing my injury history?" I think it is prudent for him to take 4th round money now rather than come back, risk injury, and maybe get 2nd or 3rd round money.

• Fire 1

I think you're taking it the wrong way; I don't think he's looking for the "easy way out." I think he is making the smartest decision for him. I don't think it is, "oh, Maliek is gone, I'm going to have to work harder and do more." I think it is, "my snaps are going to increase greatly, and in turn my chance of injury. Is the upside worth the risk knowing my injury history?" I think it is prudent for him to take 4th round money now rather than come back, risk injury, and maybe get 2nd or 3rd round money.

Plus, if he gets 4th or 5th round money now, and does well, he will get his 2nd contract a year earlier than he would if he came back to NU in 2016.

I can't emphasize this enough. For NFL guys, it's the 2nd contract that they are now playing for. That is where the big money is. Yes, it's a risk that VV makes it in the NFL long enough to get a 2nd contract, but why waste a year at NU when he can be playing for that 2nd contract in 2016.

• Fire 1

I'm surprised there are people saying VV won't be drafted. DT is not a fungible position in the NFL like RB where you can pluck a stud in FA like Arian Foster or most recently, that Rawls kid for Seattle. If VV can show he's healthy and has a good pro day and/or combine he's getting drafted. There just aren't a ton of dudes with his size and skill set. As Colo Husker pointed out, with the NFL it's all about the 2nd contract now. If anything, I expect to see more and more guys declare early now.

I'm surprised there are people saying VV won't be drafted. DT is not a fungible position in the NFL like RB where you can pluck a stud in FA like Arian Foster or most recently, that Rawls kid for Seattle. If VV can show he's healthy and has a good pro day and/or combine he's getting drafted. There just aren't a ton of dudes with his size and skill set. As Colo Husker pointed out, with the NFL it's all about the 2nd contract now. If anything, I expect to see more and more guys declare early now.

The NBA has seen a similar trend when they started capping the rookie salary scale. Guys weren't turning pro to get filthy rich on their rookie contract, it was so they would hit their 2nd contracts at a younger age. All this has done is increase the number of underclassmen declaring for the draft.

Now NFL agents are having their clients go pro early because they aren't much value in their rookie contracts, but the agents want to get a percentage of their fat 2nd contracts and bonus money.

The NBA has seen a similar trend when they started capping the rookie salary scale. Guys weren't turning pro to get filthy rich on their rookie contract, it was so they would hit their 2nd contracts at a younger age. All this has done is increase the number of underclassmen declaring for the draft.

Now NFL agents are having their clients go pro early because they aren't much value in their rookie contracts, but the agents want to get a percentage of their fat 2nd contracts and bonus money.

Yeah, that makes sense. I realize every kid's situation is different but it really makes me wonder what agents are telling some of these kids who declare early. I look at a guy like Jalin Marshall from Ohio State and think, "Seriously, that guy is going to leave after being in school for only 3 years?" I get that he's fast but dang, he didn't exactly set the world on fire in college.

Can't say this bothers me too much. Although it could be argued that Valentine, more the Collins anyway, is making a decision based on his lack of faith in the defensive scheme. When Suh made his decision to stay and play another year, I think that was mainly a vote of confidence in the Pelini system. And it paid off as Suh got drafted high.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was more not meshing with the new coaching staff and just wanting to be done with school. He already has his degree.

If this is the case and I'm not saying it is, then its probably time for him to move on. Best of luck to him in the draft.