Lawrence Phillips found dead in prison at age 40

knapplc

Troubled man with an upbringing I don't wish upon anybody. Sad day, but I'm not exactly surprised by this, he had little chance. I hope whatever has tormented him, he has found peace.

I also suspect this will spark more dialogue about him and the rest of the mid 90s husker teams. Could be the final catalyst to push a Husker 30for30

Considering everything that went on back then, there's no way a 30 for 30 would be in any way shape or form good for the program.

Were 20 years past all this, it wouldn't matter, and taking into consideration everything that happened, it would be a good 30 for 30.

Yeah, that K-State game I could only listen to on the radio. And I had to drive 15 miles to the top of ridge to catch the signal of the Big Red Network out of somewhere like Fresno.

Apparently everyone in the stadium knew the ball would be handed to Lawrence Phillips and there wasn't anything they could do about it.

Love stories about fans listening to the games on radio.

Here's one you might like.

1995. My new wife and I on our honeymoon in Kauai, driving our little rental car through the rainforest towards the remote park where they filmed Jurassic Park.

Nobody on the road. Most remote and primitive place on Earth. Fiddling with the car radio for something, anything to listen to.

And suddenly there it was, clear as a freaking bell. The live broadcast of the Nebraska vs. Iowa State game.

My new wife let me listen to the whole thing.

Nebraska won 73-14.

We're still married.

Awesome

As I read your story I had a picture of it in my mind...

Very sad to hear this news and I agree with what everyone here seems to be saying. I also have to add our prison system is very messed up with over-crowding, long sentences, little to no hope, lack of rehabilitation, and I think in the end this all added up to Lawrence taking his own life. I don't condone anything he's done but it's tough for me to sit here and judge him as I have never come close to anything he's experienced in his childhood or life. We too easily forget about those who "break the law" or are sent off to jail as they are out of sight and out of mind. I'm still floored to this day that a prisoner who serves say 30 years, is finally let out and given a bus ticket, $5 and a think a bible. Really?

No, not really. If something sounds unlikely, google it to see what the truth is. Can't say for sure this link is accurate, but it's more believable than what you claim. http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/hardtime/gatemoney/

Someone released from a California jail gets $200 and transportation. I would assume they also get a parole officer and a place at a halfway house to at least give them a chance to get going. I'm sure there are many stories to be told about those things being no help at all, but it's not $5 and a bible.

Very sad to hear this news and I agree with what everyone here seems to be saying. I also have to add our prison system is very messed up with over-crowding, long sentences, little to no hope, lack of rehabilitation, and I think in the end this all added up to Lawrence taking his own life. I don't condone anything he's done but it's tough for me to sit here and judge him as I have never come close to anything he's experienced in his childhood or life. We too easily forget about those who "break the law" or are sent off to jail as they are out of sight and out of mind. I'm still floored to this day that a prisoner who serves say 30 years, is finally let out and given a bus ticket, $5 and a think a bible. Really?

No, not really. If something sounds unlikely, google it to see what the truth is. Can't say for sure this link is accurate, but it's more believable than what you claim. http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/hardtime/gatemoney/

Someone released from a California jail gets $200 and transportation. I would assume they also get a parole officer and a place at a halfway house to at least give them a chance to get going. I'm sure there are many stories to be told about those things being no help at all, but it's not $5 and a bible.

Everyone I knew thought LP had the Heisman sewn up after the first 2 games in the '95 season. He torched Oklahoma State and Michigan State (coached by Nick Saban). It was the night of the Michigan State game that he made the first of his really big mistakes in life. Man, his life and career is such a "what if".

My thoughts exactly. What if that night would not have occurred? Regardless - RIP - He and Mike Rozier to 2 purist RBs in our history in my opinion.

It's probably best for him that it's over.

For many folks this probably sounds cold hearted. I assure you it is not.

I had a brother that hung himself 25 years ago. That man couldn't outrun his demons either. At least now he is at peace. Same with Lawrence, he's finally at peace.

• Fire 1