Tulane QB Tanner Lee to Transfer to Nebraska

What if a player transfers from Nebraska to Alabama, he gets to go with no penalty, but he takes up two scholarships at Alabama while there and Nebraska gets an 26 next year and 86 total.

Something like that would make me feel better about it.

I think that gets messy.

Why not just make it so that if a Nebraksa coach doesn't want to release a kid, then the kid can leave but has to sit out a year (like under the current blanket rule).

Because if s coach or program gets known for not releasing players that will be used against them.

My plan would not be any more messy than managing draft picks in pro sports.

If a school wants to raid another program they should have to give something up to the program they raid.

How do you define a "raid" versus a natural move. Is a transfer from a school to Bama always a raid? It a kid leaves OSU to go to Ohio, should Ohio be docked a schollie and OSU given a bonus?

With 116+ teams, administration gets very messy. Keeping track of the numbers alone would be difficult. This isn't the pros where there's only 32 teams.

• Fire 1

Could it be tied to academic performance like the grad transfer rule? If a player is on-track to graduate (similar to transferring into NCAA from JUCO), then he can transfer without penalty otherwise he has to sit out a year.

That's actually something I have severe questions about. I was in undergrad 20 years ago and never looked to transfer schools, but I have heard about people transferring schools and having issues with credits transferring over to their new school. I think it would be really odd for a player to go through 3-4 years at a school and then transfer for his last 1-2 years. I would think that would severely impact his standing at his new school and his ability to graduate in a reasonable amount of time.

I know 99% of the kids are transferring for football reasons and have little care about how it impacts their academic standing, but if these are supposed to be student-athletes it just wouldn't feel right to me.

I transferred schools, and it's not that difficult. Like everything else, you need to take time to learn the pros and cons. And if the players are in good academic standing, why would you assume that transferring would hurt them academically?
Even if they are in good academic standing, there could be a number of classes/credits that don't transfer to the new school. It's probably the exception, rather than the rule, but it has to happen.

A player can find out before transferring. It just becomes another part of selecting which school to transfer to.

As the OP on this particular thread, I will say we are all a combination of bored and anxious about the next two days. While we won't re-write the NCAA policy on scholarship athletes transferring, we are an extremely knowledgeable fan base.

I think the addition of a veteran quarterback will only help during a complete void of game day experience in 2017. Largely due to the OL recruits and POB, I have a renewed faith in the Reilly camp that I hope is not off season false hope.

Am I wrong for not being excited about a quarterback who can pass the ball as well as Tommy Armstrong, but not run a lick?

I don't think any of us are saying that this guy is going to be the stud QB we need in the future. However, I think he's a good alternative for backup in 2017 (and maybe 2018).

NU is going to be screwed in 2017 if POB isn't a stud QB.

• Fire 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nebraska quarterback Tanner Lee, the transfer from Tulane, must sit out this season per NCAA transfer rules. He will become eligible to play in 2017 and remains confident that the NCAA will grant him a sixth year of eligibility in 2018.

The NCAA would have to grant an exception to existing legislation regarding eligibility rules. According to Jamie Vaughn, NU senior associate athletic director for compliance, there is a provision in the rule book that addresses student-athletes who feel they were "run off" by a school.
Tulane didn't technically "run off" Lee. He left because he doesn't fit the spread-option offense of new head coach Willie Fritz.
"Nebraska's compliance department and Tulane's are working together on it," Lee told me last week. "We feel good about it. I feel really confident I'll be getting that year. But right now, I can only worry about what I can control."

LJS

People are way too obsessed about the 1 scholarship thing. Having a better backup QB is worth the scholarship.

not really...........he will be of no value for 2016.....and then maybe only a year after that...taking up space.

Not true. Something to think about : who you PRACTICE against everyday is very very important. If our 3rd teamers are good players it makes our 1st team better. We need good players from top to bottom, because it's who we practice against everyday.

• Fire 4

After seeing UNK going through six quarterbacks lost for the season one year, I don't know if one can have too many of any position.

I also remember Berringer and Frazier watching Matt Turman from the sidelines one Saturday... :hellloooo

Yes, Turman did start the '94 Kansas State game, but Berringer came in and played for half the game.

But, having quality depth at QB never hurts.

After seeing UNK going through six quarterbacks lost for the season one year, I don't know if one can have too many of any position.

I also remember Berringer and Frazier watching Matt Turman from the sidelines one Saturday... :hellloooo

Yes, Turman did start the '94 Kansas State game, but Berringer came in and played for half the game.

But, having quality depth at QB never hurts.

I was at that game sitting on the front row of the grass. It was great to hear how they booed Tom as he came out for pregame, got to briefly talk to him before he went back into the locker room area. Then the team silenced the crowd and it was glorious. The pregame and the game was a great experience. But...there is always a but..That is the day that I learned how bad KSU fans really were as they were throwing AA batteries at NU fans and their cars after the game.