NCAA to discuss rule changes next week including Targeting, defenseless players, & linemen downfield (Pop Pass)

Saunders

Saunders,

Alabama and Saban have been at the forefront of this rule change.

Huh? Bama is doing it too...

The current rule is 3 yards, and teams exploit that all the time, but it's barely ever called. The though process is, by bringing it in to 1 yard (like the NFL) teams won't be able to break it as much.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25313667/no-surprise-saban-says-ole-miss-pop-pass-td-submitted-to-sec-office

If you google it, there are a ton of article about Saban and other defensive coaches complaining about it.

I have no problem enforcing the 3-yard rule, but to move it to 1 yard would handicap one of the most exciting plays in CFB: the play action pass.

Several NFL teams run the play action pass with a lot of success. The Vikings made bank off of it with Stefon Diggs this year. I don't think the rule implementation, if it happened, would be as detrimental as you think.

Either way, I think this is a rule worth looking into simply because it is (obviously) abused. Even if they don't make changes, there's a good chance we could see more calls for it next year similar to the way we saw more fouls for teams not lining up on the LOS properly this year.

If they allow replay officials to stop the game to call unseen targeting fouls, I'm out. This game is completely ruined. Too many stopages, too many crappy calls on the field and in the booth. Too many commercials. Games last 4 hours. Its a joke. NOBODY at NCAA cares about good football anymore. They just care about the financial survival of this cash cow, and navigating the mine field of liability.

There will be a product on the field. It will involve some contact, but so does Lacross and that aint football either. Watch this to see what football games should be like. Notice the VERY nice flow of the game, and gracious lack of extended commercial breaks due to ridiculous replay. But most of all notice the honest hard defensive football play.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F2dF4kZmKn8

Saunders,

The current rule is 3 yards, and teams exploit that all the time, but it's barely ever called. The though process is, by bringing it in to 1 yard (like the NFL) teams won't be able to break it as much.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25313667/no-surprise-saban-says-ole-miss-pop-pass-td-submitted-to-sec-office

If you google it, there are a ton of article about Saban and other defensive coaches complaining about it.

I have no problem enforcing the 3-yard rule, but to move it to 1 yard would handicap one of the most exciting plays in CFB: the play action pass.

The NFL already has the 1 yard rule, and there's plenty of play action passing. Even spread "offensive" guys like RichRod, Todd Graham, and Art Briles think it needs to change.

Saunders,

The NFL already has the 1 yard rule, and there's plenty of play action passing. Even spread "offensive" guys like RichRod, Todd Graham, and Art Briles think it needs to change.

that article is poorly written, but if read closely, thosecoaches agree with me.

Enforce the current rule. Don't change it to 1 yard.

What I don't get is that it looks like they are doing nothing to address the Gerry type of horrible call ........ I was expecting them to look at a way that the booth could allow an ejection or just enforce a 15 yard call. If the game can't get this right it is shameful. I also think if they are this hell bent on these types of hits they need to start to make the offensive player have some accountability in keeping the head up.

This shouldn't be this hard.

If a defender goes high, leaves their feet or lunges into the head/neck area of an already exposed offesive player it should be a penalty on the defender.

If the offensive player lowers their head into the tackle zone (ie. chest level), leans their head into a defender (ie. trucking) or extends themselves horizonally into contact it should be a penalty on the offensive player.

If none of those occured it is considered incidental contact and no penalty should be assesed, if both players are deemed to be resposible offsetting penalties are enforced and both players may be ejected.

Do that and the problem will fix itself pretty quickly.

Adding more responsibility to the replay official is stupid. They have a hard enough time figuring out if they should stop play for regular plays let alone trying to look for extra targeting calls.

And how about talking about how to determine and penalize targeting? Gerrys hit in the bowl game he wrapped up the guy. He didnt launch or use his crown. Should have been no penalty. And i saw many guys get ejected for targeting calls that were borderline. How about keep the 15 yards but no ejection? Should have to be somewhat egregious for ejection imo.

Another change that needs to be made is having a central replay office like the NFL (New York) and NHL (Toronto) do, where all reviews are handled there. It probably has to be by conference, so the B1G/SEC etc have a couple guys in their headquarters that make all the replay decisions for their home games. That would help to standardize the replay decisions, especially on targeting ejections.

The NCAA Football Rules Committee wrapped up a four-day meeting Thursday and released an overview of approved proposals aimed to "enhance student-athlete safety." The controversial targeting penalty was a major focus of that release.

The committee voted to expand the authority of the replay official when it comes to targeting penalties. The rule would require the official to review all aspects of the targeting call. The official will also be able to stop the game and create a targeting foul in situations where an "egregious action" has gone uncalled.

“The targeting rule is serving the game well, and has enhanced player safety,” said Bob Nielson, committee chair and South Dakota head football coach, in a press release. “Because this is such a severe penalty, we are instructing replay officials to review plays to ensure that the required elements of targeting exist."

The elements of targeting that replay officials will watch for include launching and forcible contact to the head, among other factors.

In that release, the NCAA did admit that in a "small number of cases," players were incorrectly disqualified from games as a result of a targeting penalty. No specific examples are mentioned, but most would believe Nate Gerry falls in that category.

• Fire 1

The NCAA Football Rules Committee wrapped up a four-day meeting Thursday and released an overview of approved proposals aimed to "enhance student-athlete safety." The controversial targeting penalty was a major focus of that release.

The committee voted to expand the authority of the replay official when it comes to targeting penalties. The rule would require the official to review all aspects of the targeting call. The official will also be able to stop the game and create a targeting foul in situations where an "egregious action" has gone uncalled.

“The targeting rule is serving the game well, and has enhanced player safety,” said Bob Nielson, committee chair and South Dakota head football coach, in a press release. “Because this is such a severe penalty, we are instructing replay officials to review plays to ensure that the required elements of targeting exist."

The elements of targeting that replay officials will watch for include launching and forcible contact to the head, among other factors.

In that release, the NCAA did admit that in a "small number of cases," players were incorrectly disqualified from games as a result of a targeting penalty. No specific examples are mentioned, but most would believe Nate Gerry falls in that category.

Will this actually help or not? I have lost faith in the process with the amount of ridiculous calls throughout the bowl season....not just Gerry's hit, but the others that were far more 'violent' and the player did not get tossed!