Hank Hughes no longer with team

gbr93

Uh, were'nt we top 10 vs the rush last year?

Scheme and all the talent we had in the middle. Dude just couldn't recruit.

This.....100%

Screwed up with Fant at South O, and couldn't close on any of the top tier DL recruits.

Very powerful message Riley just sent.

From what I have been told by a buddy...this was not a Riley message first...

Whomever is ultimately pulling the strings.......there is an enormous amount of pressure for this staff to win next season. They were brought in to win right away.

Wow. Big move.

Hughes was brought in as Banker's guy and as someone with run stopping credentials. I thought as a coach he did decent work with a DL that simply didn't have the pass rushing firepower needed. However, it looks like all the critics of Hughes' recruiting abilities here found one to join them: Mike Riley.

Is this a firing, or what? 'Cause it definitely feels like shots fired. I would join the chorus of everyone hoping for another Bray-like presence on the recruiting trail. Ideally with ties to Texas, if we can build a positions coach custom order.

The HC is accountable for enforcing accountability in his staff. I definitely wasn't expecting a move after Year 1, but wow, I'll roll with it! Looks like it was handled the right way.

This one is a double edged sword for me:

Good: Riley wants to win and he's going to do what it takes. I think we can put this question to rest now.

Bad: I was trying to drink the Kool-aid :koolaid2: and think there was some kind of reason or plan as to why we seemed to miss so poorly recruiting on the D-Line. Sounds like we lost a year because of bad recruiting. I'm still blown a way we couldn't get a Juco DE.

This is very good news. Though I wonder what took Riley so long.

Waited till after signing day.

Why? Nebraska wasn't going to lose any of the current commits that have. Unless Riley was giving Hughes a chance to prove himself up to signing day. But I'd still ask the same question.. what took so long?

He fired him after the first year. I'd say that's pretty quick.

This is very good news. Though I wonder what took Riley so long.

Waited till after signing day.

Why? Nebraska wasn't going to lose any of the current commits that have. Unless Riley was giving Hughes a chance to prove himself up to signing day. But I'd still ask the same question.. what took so long?

Maybe he simply didn't have enough time? Riley mentioned he's been in Lincoln 6 days since the bowl game.

Everything we've heard about Thompson is he's great. The only issue you'd have is he's young probably doesn't have a lot of connections and who knows how good a dline coach he is. But we do know he maximized the TE talent this year and everyone seems to like him. Prob like to keep him, especially with the year of working in the program then getting someone comparable but outside the program. If you can get a great dline coach grab him.

• Fire 1

100% wrong gobiggergoredder. Go look at my posts. I wasn't a fan of Hughs and wasn't terribly happy about the OSU coaches but didn't say a word about the others. So far I'd say my take on the coaches is pretty close. Read,Banker and Cavanaugh aren't exactly lighting it up. Williams has been solid and Hughs is gone.