"Us Against The World"

Mavric

Calming the storm, something Mike seems to have a handle on. None of us know what it was like in the locker room, but all of us seem to think it is better now. Time to move on, keep supporting Coach Riley and hope for a great 2016. Mike Riley lost the games this year, him and his team. He is not looking for an excuse, he owns up to it and does not throw anyone under the bus but himself. I like that about him. Not sure he is the greatest coach, but he is a very good man. I am happy he is here.

• Fire 2

You guys can quibble all you want about Bo creating or not creating a toxic atmosphere surrounding the team. Personally I don't give much credence to guys now saying it wasn't that bad. You know how bad it was? Bad enough that a perennial 9 win coach got fired for it. Guessing that's a pretty good indicator that things weren't all sunshine and roses.

I bet Mark Richt was a really cancerous head coach as well.

• Fire 1

You guys can quibble all you want about Bo creating or not creating a toxic atmosphere surrounding the team. Personally I don't give much credence to guys now saying it wasn't that bad. You know how bad it was? Bad enough that a perennial 9 win coach got fired for it. Guessing that's a pretty good indicator that things weren't all sunshine and roses.

You can play naive if you want but you should know better. Not every coach that gets fired gets fired for the same reasons. I thought we were talking about Bo Pelini, not Mark Richt. And, the cancerous environment was not the only reason. I thought you were paying attention these last few years....

Help jog my memory, but wasn't there a player on the team flipping off and lashing out at fans? Clearly, there is zero disconnect between fans and players.

And clearly if one person does it that has to mean the other 120+ feel the same way.

What? That's literally your logic in this topic. One player said it wasn't a big deal and was blown out of proportion, therefore that's what every other player thinks. lol?

You can play naive if you want but you should know better. Not every coach that gets fired gets fired for the same reasons. I thought we were talking about Bo Pelini, not Mark Richt. And, the cancerous environment was not the only reason. I thought you were paying attention these last few years....

Your post said that Bo's environment was so bad, that as a 9-10 win coach he got fired for it, as in, got fired because of the cancerous environment. So was it the only reason or only one of several? What percentage did it play? Was it more or less a reason than 7 years with no championships and repeated blowouts and embarrassing showings on national tv? Can you make a spreadsheet showing all of the individual factors, their respective percentages into why he got fired, and how they correlate with one another?

• Fire 1

Help jog my memory, but wasn't there a player on the team flipping off and lashing out at fans? Clearly, there is zero disconnect between fans and players.

And clearly if one person does it that has to mean the other 120+ feel the same way.

What? That's literally your logic in this topic. One player said it wasn't a big deal and was blown out of proportion, therefore that's what every other player thinks. lol?

Well, off the top of my head MRI, Tommy Armstrong, and Mike Riley himself have said it was overblown. An offensive leader, defensive leader, and the new head coach.

So there's that.

• Fire 1

The collective "we" made it an issue...we made it seemed like the players were suffering from post traumatic stress...that they were these battered wives from the 1920's that didn't know where to turn. It was embarrassing and stupid.

A freaking Hail Mary not being knocked down had nothing to do with Bo...Wisky missing a FG and then making the same exact FG 2 minutes later had nothing to do with Bo...NW's slow ass QB running for 150 yards had nothing to do with the players being mad at the fans...

• Fire 3

Well, off the top of my head MRI, Tommy Armstrong, and Mike Riley himself have said it was overblown. An offensive leader, defensive leader, and the new head coach.

So there's that.

I don't disagree that overall it's overblown, but I also believe the previous coach's sentiment regarding fans rubbed off on some players.

The fact of the matter isn't about it being overblown, it's that some players did foster that mentality - and one was a captain.

So there's that.

• Fire 2

Your post said that Bo's environment was so bad, that as a 9-10 win coach he got fired for it, as in, got fired because of the cancerous environment. So was it the only reason or only one of several? What percentage did it play? Was it more or less a reason than 7 years with no championships and repeated blowouts and embarrassing showings on national tv? Can you make a spreadsheet showing all of the individual factors, their respective percentages into why he got fired, and how they correlate with one another?

I have made that exact spreadsheet. It details each and every factor, the percentage it played, and it has been signed off on by ADSE. But I don't feel like posting it. Sorry.
  • Fire 1

Bo did some damage to minority portion of the team. Some of them remained screwed up last season hurting performance and chemistry a bit. Improvements in attitudes, culture, and chemistry occurred during the season and contributed to improved performances late in the season. The problem is not completely fixed today but it's close.

That's they way I see it.

• Fire 4

So there's that.

I don't disagree that overall it's overblown, but I also believe the previous coach's sentiment regarding fans rubbed off on some players.

The fact of the matter isn't about it being overblown, it's that some players did foster that mentality - and one was a captain.

So there's that.

Eh, I think still think Pelini's "sentiment" towards the fans is overblown too. You have to look at the audiogate issue in context. He was pissed off because they booed the team and left early in the OSU game in 2011. Gary specifically referenced them leaving in their recorded conversation, and Bo went off about it.

Bo wasn't fired because he brainwashed the players and hated the fans. He was fired because he didn't get along with his boss, and his boss's boss. That writing was put on the wall after A&M in 2010, and it was only a matter of time before it was done.

The culture change is simply Riley doing things in a different way, not needing to "rescue" a bunch of kids from years of emotional abuse.

• Fire 2

The collective "we" made it an issue...we made it seemed like the players were suffering from post traumatic stress...that they were these battered wives from the 1920's that didn't know where to turn. It was embarrassing and stupid.

A freaking Hail Mary not being knocked down had nothing to do with Bo...Wisky missing a FG and then making the same exact FG 2 minutes later had nothing to do with Bo...NW's slow ass QB running for 150 yards had nothing to do with the players being mad at the fans...

Let's get over the Bo talk and move on, however to say that a player that was taught by Bo and his staff for 3 years and MR for 1 year doesn't have ANY influence from the past staff is SILLY.

So there's that.

So there's that.

Eh, I think still think Pelini's "sentiment" towards the fans is overblown too. You have to look at the audiogate issue in context. He was pissed off because they booed the team and left early in the OSU game in 2011. Gary specifically referenced them leaving in their recorded conversation, and Bo went off about it.

Bo wasn't fired because he brainwashed the players and hated the fans. He was fired because he didn't get along with his boss, and his boss's boss. That writing was put on the wall after A&M in 2010, and it was only a matter of time before it was done.

The culture change is simply Riley doing things in a different way, not needing to "rescue" a bunch of kids from years of emotional abuse.

Eh, if you put Tape 1 and Tape 2 together, you get a pretty good idea why he didn't get along with his boss, or anyone else in charge of the University of Nebraska's reputation.

The context of both tapes was how Bo really felt. In the Ohio State tape, 95% of Nebraska fans were cheering their asses off for the biggest comeback in Husker history. A handful had booed a lifeless first half on the heels of the previous week's "wake up call" blowout loss. How Bo chose to view that "glass 95% full or 5% empty" scenario was telling. His press conference was childish.

Then he backed up his "I'm so outta here!" outburst by letting it be known he was available for any desirable head coaching position from 2011 on.

In his final address to his players, he literally blamed fan expectation for their poor performance against Wisconsin.

I think we can move on without the revisionist history.

• Fire 5

How bad was it in 1978 when another perennial 9 win coach was almost fired? I guess that's a pretty good indicator that some people's definition/expectation/tolerance for sunshine and roses can be skewed.