Defining the "Liberal Media" and the "Mainstream Media"

There were plenty of opportunities for all of those candidates to articulate themselves. They all did so.

The debates are national sporting events, which just means more eyes were on. The candidates and their campaigns exist outside of them, too.

There were plenty of opportunities for all of those candidates to articulate themselves. They all did so.

The debates are national sporting events, which just means more eyes were on. The candidates and their campaigns exist outside of them, too.

The media clearly fixated on Trump during the debates because they were waiting on him to act outlandish again.

Yeah, I get that. The debates are there because politics is spectacle, and spectacle appeals to the lowest common denominator. Hence the glam, the live audiences, the advertising blitz, and trumped up everything.

All that aside, though, it's not as if these candidates were mysterious. That's all I was saying, but don't feel like I am arguing against you. In a lot of ways, it's a moot point, anyway.

To wit, someone not in the midst of a(n impressive) reverse 41/2 pike somersault for legitimizing Trump would probably have remembered a few things, like Jeb's proposed "Are you Christian?" test on immigrants, or Rubio's advocacy for surveillance on mosques and internet sites in this "clash of civilizations". BRB is completely correct about what "freedom of religion" has been coded to mean.

Yeah, I get that. The debates are there because politics is spectacle, and spectacle appeals to the lowest common denominator. Hence the glam, the live audiences, the advertising blitz, and trumped up everything.

All that aside, though, it's not as if these candidates were mysterious. That's all I was saying, but don't feel like I am arguing against you. In a lot of ways, it's a moot point, anyway.

To wit, someone not in the midst of a(n impressive) reverse 41/2 pike somersault for legitimizing Trump would probably have remembered a few things, like Jeb's proposed "Are you Christian?" test on immigrants, or Rubio's advocacy for surveillance on mosques and internet sites in this "clash of civilizations". BRB is completely correct about what "freedom of religion" has been coded to mean.

Cruz's increased patrolling of Muslim neighborhoods...

• Fire 1

I'm not sure who on here watched Trump's speech tonight on crime, law and order and the impact it's had on the African American community, but I watched the entire speech and have to say it was one of Trump's best speeches today, free of gaffes, and on message completely. After the completion of the speech, I turned to CNN who some on here claim is an unbiased network, and guess what...their lead commentator (Don Lemon who is a joke) demonstrated complete bias in what questions were asked, and to whom. Rather than going around the horn to get everyone's thoughts on the speech as a good journalist would, he started by injecting his own criticism into the speech, and then badgering those that disagreed with his views. Lemon actually made Sean Hannity look like a nice guy that doesn't badger those he disagrees with. I have seen this time and again from CNN and wholeheartedly disagree with anyone on here who claims they are not as biased as MSNBC or Fox.

(Salon) The danger of the right’s noise machine: Years of misinformation led to Trump’s rise

A quote from conservative radio host and soon-to-be not true Scotsman, Charlie Sykes, on MSNBC:

Over the years conservative talk show hosts, and I’m certainly one of them, we’ve done a remarkable job of challenging and attacking the mainstream media. But perhaps what we did was also the destroy any sense of a standard. Where do you go to have any sense of the truth? You have Donald Trump come along and the man says things that are demonstrably untrue on a daily basis. My experience has been look, we live in an era when every drunk at the end of the bar has a Twitter account and maybe has a blog and when you try to point out “this is not true, this is a lie” and then you cite the Washington Post or the New York Times, their response is “oh that’s the mainstream media.” So we’ve done such a good job of discrediting them that there’s almost no place to go to be able to fact check.

(Salon) The danger of the right’s noise machine: Years of misinformation led to Trump’s rise

A quote from conservative radio host and soon-to-be not true Scotsman, Charlie Sykes, on MSNBC:

Over the years conservative talk show hosts, and I’m certainly one of them, we’ve done a remarkable job of challenging and attacking the mainstream media. But perhaps what we did was also the destroy any sense of a standard. Where do you go to have any sense of the truth? You have Donald Trump come along and the man says things that are demonstrably untrue on a daily basis. My experience has been look, we live in an era when every drunk at the end of the bar has a Twitter account and maybe has a blog and when you try to point out “this is not true, this is a lie” and then you cite the Washington Post or the New York Times, their response is “oh that’s the mainstream media.” So we’ve done such a good job of discrediting them that there’s almost no place to go to be able to fact check.

That is EXACTLY what has happened. Many people think that if they go find the most obscure "news" outlet they can find that agrees with what is in their little brain, they have now found the truth and the main stream media is this horrible system of corrupt crap.

It really is scary when you think about it because so many people aren't getting facts. They are getting statements from the internet that agrees with their world view and it just reinforces misinformation.

• Fire 2

That is EXACTLY what has happened. Many people think that if they go find the most obscure "news" outlet they can find that agrees with what is in their little brain, they have now found the truth and the main stream media is this horrible system of corrupt crap.

It really is scary when you think about it because so many people aren't getting facts. They are getting statements from the internet that agrees with their world view and it just reinforces misinformation.

Obscure Facebook videos > The New York Times.

All media puts out nonsense and I agree with BRB that its up to viewers to disseminate truth from fiction. There have been plenty of studies and articles written about the slant of the MSM as well. To counter your point above, if Fox News were to point out something factual that people should be concerned about, the common response from the left and Democratic politicians is "it's just more Fox News propaganda." The fact that you would site an article from Salon.com (a leftist media outlet) would be no different than me citing something directly from Breitbart. Even if there is some truth to the article, those who don't agree with Salon or Breitbart won't accept anything they say, and given that some of the "mainstream" media also has been proven false on many occasions, I agree with BRB that most people now will believe what they want to believe.

http://www.naturalnews.com/048714_mainstream_media_propaganda_lies.html

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-28/top-german-journalist-admits-mainstream-media-completely-fake-we-all-lie-cia

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/j-peder-zane/article96003182.html