Defining the "Liberal Media" and the "Mainstream Media"

I like Vox, but I wouldn't follow them on Twitter. For this election cycle I've had fun reading the sometimes opposing thoughts of Yglesias, Matthews, and Klein. Klein in particular is a thoughtful, good read. I think Matthews is the big Sanders stumper, and I find myself agreeing less with his articles.

I think they do a great job providing summaries of (left-leaning, to be fair) perspectives and they have some interesting stuff overall. It tends to be a gateway to other articles and discussions.

My favorite publication is the NYT. I've read both good and stupid things on Slate, Vox, et. al. I think there's a definite step up in quality with the NYT, which isn't to say they have an exclusive hold on it! And it's definitely good to get different takes. Sometimes they're all in alignment, sometimes not and nobody seems to really go on the warpath about it when those differences crop up.

As for Beck, he seems to have literally gone insane.

... is that a recent thing?

But yeah, I am a little concerned about him. Is he still fasting?

Klien stumps for Clinton and someone else stumps for Sanders. I don't remember seeing who it is. But, there is a clear divide their in their writings.

Yes, that's correct. I don't mean that to dismiss either of them -- and I enjoy seeing them both try to make their cases. I think there are some good arguments for the Sanders side, but I'm myself not as impressed with them. It's a divide I find interesting to turn over, and one that I appreciate isn't so existential in nature.

(It doesn't seem to be a hugely fair fight, though. Klein seems far more capable and less susceptible to a mere political pitch than their Sanders guy.)

While we're at it, another liberal rag where I've found much thoughtful, good reading is The Atlantic. I don't always agree with everything, but you know, it's not 'rabble rabble the President is destroying the country and only stupid people read the lamestream media rabble rabble'.

I like Vox, but I wouldn't follow them on Twitter. For this election cycle I've had fun reading the sometimes opposing thoughts of Yglesias, Matthews, and Klein. Klein in particular is a thoughtful, good read. I think Matthews is the big Sanders stumper, and I find myself agreeing less with his articles.

I think they do a great job providing summaries of (left-leaning, to be fair) perspectives and they have some interesting stuff overall. It tends to be a gateway to other articles and discussions.

My favorite publication is the NYT. I've read both good and stupid things on Slate, Vox, et. al. I think there's a definite step up in quality with the NYT, which isn't to say they have an exclusive hold on it! And it's definitely good to get different takes. Sometimes they're all in alignment, sometimes not and nobody seems to really go on the warpath about it when those differences crop up.

As for Beck, he seems to have literally gone insane.

... is that a recent thing?

But yeah, I am a little concerned about him. Is he still fasting?

I believe it just ended.....

Mainstream right...Fox News, Wall Street Journal

Mainstream left....all others (ABC NBC CBS CNN MSNBC (the most left) New York Times, Washington Post

Democrat media. Republican media...would be a better way to describe them and just drop the "mainstream" there is no mainstream anymore hasn't been since the 60's.

CNBC is balanced but small and business news not sure any business news besides WSJ is considered MSM. Older on air people are right younger ones not so much.

NYT leftist writer replaced famous right lead man who died in 09. Politics (John Harwood) is a leftist and worthless to listen to (always spinning). Econ guy, Steve Liesman, is one of the smartest and most honest leftists I've seen on air. Cramer (left) and Kernan (right) are the top draws. CNBC is left on social issues. Right on capitalism.

Economist...left but seem pretty honest. Most left media is dishonest, regularly. Don't read Economist enough to have a reliable take. Pay site after so many views/mo.

All others aren't "mainstream" media but that's because they are newer alternatives to the old model.
Left dominates the web (Huffington, others), infotainment (J Stewart, Colbert)
Right dominates talk radio.
Right has websites also that do not suggest they are unbiased. Left sites usually try to cover up and deny their bias. Happy names like progress, move on, etc.

Balanced is the RARE EXCEPTION. CNBC is the only one I know.

I think there's some false equivalency going on in here. It seems like anything far right is very obviously, purposefully far right. But it seems like anything that ISN'T far right, be it slightly left leaning, maybe inconsistent, moderate, whatever, is lumped as being "left". That is goofy to me.

Also, f#*k Matt Walsh

I think there's some false equivalency going on in here. It seems like anything far right is very obviously, purposefully far right. But it seems like anything that ISN'T far right, be it slightly left leaning, maybe inconsistent, moderate, whatever, is lumped as being "left". That is goofy to me.

Also, f#*k Matt Walsh

I'd say my list is fairly accurate.

Drudge report can also be added to the conservative list,

Aljazerra is pretty good,

If you want to see blatantly bias news nothing beats Russia today

Yet a couple months back several people here were lauding Putin and saying Obama should act more like him.

We're still here

And it's still ridiculous.