Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

Do you ever get tired of bashing on college age kids AF? I happen to know Ryker and his whole family. Nicest people you could ever meet. We've already established that your knowledge of football is pretty limited since you think Callahan was a great coach. Pretty low class in my my opinion.

LMAO at the "We" part, who is this "We" you speak of? Have you ever played football? Because the way you are talking you sound like a trumpet player in the school band, not an actual football player.

Do you ever get tired of bashing on college age kids AF? I happen to know Ryker and his whole family. Nicest people you could ever meet. We've already established that your knowledge of football is pretty limited since you think Callahan was a great coach. Pretty low class in my my opinion.

Being nice doesn't make you a good football player. Just sayin'

Exactly, being a good person has zero to do with anyone's ability to play the game of football and sometimes the truth hurts. All he has to do is watch the Purdue game to see that.
If we are basing peoples skill off of their Purdue games, just look at Rkyers and Tommy's side by side. It was ungodly windy, and his first start ever, I can see why it would be a tough outing. That game wasn't all his fault either. But sure, base judgement of his skill on the one shot he had to show anything at all.

Very nice discussion in this thread. It will be interesting to see if POB ends up at #2 by August. I think if he's #2 or a coin toss with Fyfe, he needs to NOT redshirt this year. We all saw what happened with Taylor Martinez his senior year which paved the way for TA to start as a freshman. I'm not saying this will happen, but as much as TA likes to run the ball, the chances of getting banged up are pretty good. On top of that, if TA continues what he has done the past 3 years and uses bad judgment, Riley might be more inclined to trying out #2 who has the QB fundamentals down despite the lack of playing time.

TA was also a redshirt freshman in 2013. It would be asking a lot of POB to step in and be a potential starter as a true freshman if TA were to be ineffective or get injured.

Very nice discussion in this thread. It will be interesting to see if POB ends up at #2 by August. I think if he's #2 or a coin toss with Fyfe, he needs to NOT redshirt this year. We all saw what happened with Taylor Martinez his senior year which paved the way for TA to start as a freshman. I'm not saying this will happen, but as much as TA likes to run the ball, the chances of getting banged up are pretty good. On top of that, if TA continues what he has done the past 3 years and uses bad judgment, Riley might be more inclined to trying out #2 who has the QB fundamentals down despite the lack of playing time.

TA was also a redshirt freshman in 2013. It would be asking a lot of POB to step in and be a potential starter as a true freshman if TA were to be ineffective or get injured.

Well I don't think anyone is asking POB to start game 1, but if he is truly the best backup in the group, I'd rather him get some experience in this season so he's ready to take over in 2017. Also, from all that I have heard, POB's football IQ and mechanics as a true freshman will be better than Martinez's as a redshirt freshman.

Well I don't think anyone is asking POB to start game 1, but if he is truly the best backup in the group, I'd rather him get some experience in this season so he's ready to take over in 2017. Also, from all that I have heard, POB's football IQ and mechanics as a true freshman will be better than Martinez's as a redshirt freshman.

If POB is clearly the #2 QB then yes, he should be the backup this year. But, if there isn't much separation between Fyfe, Bush, and POB, I think it would be beneficial for POB to redshirt. A lot of highly recruited QB's redshirt as a true freshman, and are able to win the job as a RS freshman.

If POB is clearly the #2 QB then yes, he should be the backup this year. But, if there isn't much separation between Fyfe, Bush, and POB, I think it would be beneficial for POB to redshirt. A lot of highly recruited QB's redshirt as a true freshman, and are able to win the job as a RS freshman.

If POB is clearly the #2 QB then I would like to see him as the backup, but never see the field because TA stays healthy. This is the best of both worlds. POB is the backup and gets a redshirt year.

If POB is clearly the #2 QB then I would like to see him as the backup, but never see the field because TA stays healthy. This is the best of both worlds. POB is the backup and gets a redshirt year.

So, in that situation, in a blow out game, do you put Fyfe and Bush in for mop-up duty, but then POB would start or come in the game if TA gets injured?

So, in that situation, in a blow out game, do you put Fyfe and Bush in for mop-up duty, but then POB would start or come in the game if TA gets injured?

I think it depends on the timing of the season. If it is Fresno State or Wyoming, then leave him on the bench because there is a good chance that there will be no more mop-up duty available. If we have mop-up time against Oregon, then let him play, since he is getting reps against top competition and if there is mop-up time against Oregon, then there will likely be more mop-up time in other games (hopefully because we are winning, not losing). If the mop-up time is late in the season, then save the redshirt. Of course, this is all just baseless opinion.

I think it depends on the timing of the season. If it is Fresno State or Wyoming, then leave him on the bench because there is a good chance that there will be no more mop-up duty available. If we have mop-up time against Oregon, then let him play, since he is getting reps against top competition and if there is mop-up time against Oregon, then there will likely be more mop-up time in other games (hopefully because we are winning, not losing). If the mop-up time is late in the season, then save the redshirt. Of course, this is all just baseless opinion.

You mean Riley and Langsdorf aren't basing their roster moves from reading Huskerboard? What a crock of sh&t.

Martinez had one of the lowest football IQs I have ever seen, even as a senior. He made Forrest Gump look positively brilliant by comparison.

I think we averaged around 8 called rushes for Tommy and a half dozen improvised scrambles per game last year.

That's not a bad use of Tommy's legs. I'd like to see a couple more called rushes a game.

I think the missed opportunity was for Tommy not to take off running EVERY TIME the defense gave him so much green on those pass plays. Not only would those have been good rushing yards, it would eventually loosen up the defensive secondary so he's not forcing throws into good coverage.

Well, TA had 98 attempts in 12 games which is 8.2 per game so those numbers are a bit high. And that includes sacks which were 14 on the season so probably just over 7 attempts per game.

Agree with you that he should pull it down and take off more but I'm not sure that's in the cards.

Considering he averaged 33.5 passing attempts per game, if we could take 8-10 of those attempts and turn them into running plays of which TA would get 3-5, that would be about right imo.