Darlington working out at WR

I like this move. Darlington has been getting juiced in the weight room. Could be a decent posession wr. Imo the concussion thing is overblown.

Considering that I'm that concussion +20 years. I had 4 between the ages of 8-14, and I can tell you now that I"m 20 years later from my last I am encountering all sorts of problems. Depression, anxiety, I have a hard time focusing on things that I use to just dive into and enjoy. I can't watch movies without getting frustrated by sitting still. I can't enjoy video games any more except a few. I have a hard time with jobs that require a lot of concentration, I'm argumentative about everything, I have a hard time hanging on to relationships, and that is just 20 years.

TBI is a huge problem, and your response is a slap in the face to someone who is dealing with it on a daily basis.

No it isnt because im not talking about anyone eles concussion problems. Im talking about zd's. im going to assume that hes had the proper care and has made an educated decision to keep playing.

You're expecting a 20 year old who is a competitor and grew up dreaming to play football and got offers from big Div I schools to make an educated decision about this. Is Darlington an expert on brain science and we just don't know about it? Things like this should not be up to the kids.

yes, I do! He is not an idiot, he has been to numerous doctors, has had numerous tests. he is as educated as a person can be.

• Fire 1

I like this move. Darlington has been getting juiced in the weight room. Could be a decent posession wr. Imo the concussion thing is overblown.

Considering that I'm that concussion +20 years. I had 4 between the ages of 8-14, and I can tell you now that I"m 20 years later from my last I am encountering all sorts of problems. Depression, anxiety, I have a hard time focusing on things that I use to just dive into and enjoy. I can't watch movies without getting frustrated by sitting still. I can't enjoy video games any more except a few. I have a hard time with jobs that require a lot of concentration, I'm argumentative about everything, I have a hard time hanging on to relationships, and that is just 20 years.

TBI is a huge problem, and your response is a slap in the face to someone who is dealing with it on a daily basis.

That's pretty raw, thanks for sharing it with us.

No it isnt because im not talking about anyone eles concussion problems. Im talking about zd's. im going to assume that hes had the proper care and has made an educated decision to keep playing.
You're expecting a 20 year old who is a competitor and grew up dreaming to play football and got offers from big Div I schools to make an educated decision about this. Is Darlington an expert on brain science and we just don't know about it? Things like this should not be up to the kids.

yes, I do! He is not an idiot, he has been to numerous doctors, has had numerous tests. he is as educated as a person can be.

It wasn't said or implied that he's an idiot.

It is obvious to me after reading this tread that most commenting think Darlington should give up football. As a parent I would agree that after having a cuncussion that is that severe he should probably not be playing.

With that being said there are instances of people coming back from severe concussions and not suffereing ill effects and continuing their sports career. Frank Gifford sat out a full year after his close line concussinon play and came back and played several more years. Sidney Crosby the hockey player for Pittsburg sat out over a year i believe after a severe concussion and has had no probablems since. That doesn't mean he won't have problems down the road though. I am sure there are others that I am not aware of also. These are probably the exception not the norm.

It is his decision and if he is cleared to play and his parents are on board with this than let him play. He is a great athlete, he was one of the top 5 scorers on the preseason testing. I think he will probably do just fine at WR. I always thought a move by AJ Bush to WR was a no brainer, but obviously either he, the coaches or both do not want to make that move.

It is obvious to me after reading this tread that most commenting think Darlington should give up football. As a parent I would agree that after having a cuncussion that is that severe he should probably not be playing.

With that being said there are instances of people coming back from severe concussions and not suffereing ill effects and continuing their sports career. Frank Gifford sat out a full year after his close line concussinon play and came back and played several more years. Sidney Crosby the hockey player for Pittsburg sat out over a year i believe after a severe concussion and has had no probablems since. That doesn't mean he won't have problems down the road though. I am sure there are others that I am not aware of also. These are probably the exception not the norm.

It is his decision and if he is cleared to play and his parents are on board with this than let him play. He is a great athlete, he was one of the top 5 scorers on the preseason testing. I think he will probably do just fine at WR. I always thought a move by AJ Bush to WR was a no brainer, but obviously either he, the coaches or both do not want to make that move.

I agree, I feel like if he's medically cleared and he and his family are okay with it, let him play.

I think it's pretty early to say whether or not he will succeed at WR. I know he's a good athlete, but we don't even know if he can catch.

Overall, I think this is a good move. He was going nowhere on the QB depth chart, so why not try to utilize him somewhere else on the field? We will have the QB depth especially with Lee coming in next year. Worst case scenario he never plays. Win/Win right?

Here's the thing - absolutely none of you, unless you're a relative-in-hiding, have any real clue about his actual medical conditions. Most of us only know the events of his concussions.

As such, a lot of the concussion discussion surrounding Darlington has been speculative. The truth is that most of us don't know what he's battling (if anything), how it is impacting him (if at all currently) and what kind of conversations he has had with his doctors/coaches about it.

Until we become privy to that information then I think is probably best to keep our mouths shut on what is or isn't best for him. We should also avoid overstating, or understating, it's significance. My grandfather suffered three concussions between the ages of 12-15, but continued to play football. He never had another concussion again and lived into his 80's, never once experiencing any real cognitive issues my family is aware of. Everybody is different.

Here's the thing - absolutely none of you, unless you're a relative-in-hiding, have any real clue about his actual medical conditions. Most of us only know the events of his concussions.

As such, a lot of the concussion discussion surrounding Darlington has been speculative. The truth is that most of us don't know what he's battling (if anything), how it is impacting him (if at all currently) and what kind of conversations he has had with his doctors/coaches about it.

Until we become privy to that information then I think is probably best to keep our mouths shut on what is or isn't best for him. We should also avoid overstating, or understating, it's significance. My grandfather suffered three concussions between the ages of 12-15, but continued to play football. He never had another concussion again and lived into his 80's, never once experiencing any real cognitive issues my family is aware of. Everybody is different.

all good points, speculation comes with spring........every year.

At some point in time people have to be responsible for the decisions and life they choose to lead. If we can send 17 year old kids into battle, which is far more dangerous than football, then we can let others make their own life decisions.

The reason I don't like that comparison is because on one hand you're risking your life to protect your country and on the other you're risking your life to play a sport.

Also, in the past I've seen lots of coaches let the players decide and it didn't end well. Burkhead came back too early because he was a fighter and hurt himself worse. It's happened other times but that's the first that comes to mind.

It is a valid comparison. Some choose to defend their country, some choose to play football. The point is that they have the freedom to make that choice.

Sometimes people should be protected from their choices because they're incapable of grasping the weight of them. I'm not coming down on either side of this, but especially with kids, yes, 20 is still a kid, who's brains are still developing at quite a rapid rate.

I had a concussion and it wore off about as fast as a headache.

My brother had one and he has had grand mal seizures for most of his life, (since he was in second grade to 56 years old) but it is helped by meds.

So the reality of a concussion is it depends on how bad and how hard. That being said, nobody "owns" the concussion dialogue because of past experiences with them, first hand or otherwise and nobody should be offended by any opinions unless they make up their mind to be. We all have crosses to bear.

There is a lot we know about concussions, and a lot more that we still don't. The more we learn about the long term effects, only gets worse. I am not a doctor, and he wouldn't be participating if he hadn't been cleared by doctors, but I would bet that there are many other doctors who would advise him not to play.

Darlington has the right to make his own choices. I like what I have heard about him and I am glad Pelini honored his scholarship offer even after he got hurt. I want him to be successful in life. But as a parent and as a fan of a sport that I know is inherently flawed, I hope he never plays.

• Fire 2

Lets be honest about the whole thing. Concussions can be a very scary thing & research is showing there can be so long term effects from just one concussion. The problem is thought the NFL & NCAA real doesn't care about the concussions they care about viewers & their wallets. If they really cared about all players they would not allow any players to dive head first to gain extra yards, or allow RB's to drop their heads to deliver a blow to a defensive player. If they really wanted to protect the QB's from big hits they would not allow them to slide at the last moment, they would also put out warnings to them about how ducking hits or dropping their heads creates a lot of problems & puts them in danger.

all good points, speculation comes with spring........every year.

Very true words. I don't mind position, coach, scheme, depth chart or whatever other kind of speculation out there. I do have a bit of a problem with people speculating on an injury and then getting frustrated at other people about it, though, particularly when it comes to actual or perceived mental concerns.

• Fire 1