RIP Satellite camps - Back from the Dead (4/28/16)

They'll probably return now with the DOJ sniffing around.

Saban to camp in NE? Seems an unlikely strategery.

I would think Saban bringing in a bunch of the nation's very best recruits into Lincoln for our staff and fans to go and watch with about a gallon of gas expended might be kind of a good thing! LOL Maybe our staff ought to simply attend the SEC camps and recruit there. Be handy to save all that cost of transporting recruits across the country when Saban gathers them all up for us.

I realize that Harbaugh is flamboyantly high-profile, but let's not give him the credit for inventing satellite camps. I don't know what coach first thought of it, but I'm pretty sure Riley was one of the first.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-coaches-to-teach-at-satellite-camps-in-atlanta/article_d72e63eb-8f12-5bad-999f-5d75903c34ae.html

First-year Husker coach Mike Riley was one of the first to get into satellite camps while he was at Oregon State, including a visit from his staff to a Los Angeles camp three years ago attended by several prospects who ultimately signed with the Beavers.

No one is saying he invented them, who really cares about that. What he did however is he took them to another level with marketing the "swarm tour". It's the depth of coverage and interest that he generated, never mind how active he was in keeping them open(poster child or villain in the south). There is more to this story, NCAA doesn't just overturn their commandments unless they get spooked. it will take a while for the good parts to leak.

NCAA acts like a nightcrawler when the spotlight gets turned on. Ive lost respect for them completely.

Quotes from coach Mike Leach:

“I think there’s plenty of people that want to selfishly shut (satellite camps) down for their own selfish purposes to protect their recruiting areas or, worse yet, because they’re lazy,” Leach said. “They want to do all their stuff in the dark. They want it shrouded by darkness, secrecy.

“The committee. Well who did it? Them. Well, who’s them? We can’t tell you who them is. They want it shrouded by secrecy. I think we need as much exposure to this as possible because our biggest role is to help work and develop student-athletes and with that said, colleges should actively and diligently work to do that.”

NCAA acts like a nightcrawler when the spotlight gets turned on. Ive lost respect for them completely.

I think theres plenty of people that want to selfishly shut (satellite camps) down for their own selfish purposes to protect their recruiting areas or, worse yet, because theyre lazy, Leach said. They want to do all their stuff in the dark. They want it shrouded by darkness, secrecy.

The committee. Well who did it? Them. Well, whos them? We cant tell you who them is. They want it shrouded by secrecy. I think we need as much exposure to this as possible because our biggest role is to help work and develop student-athletes and with that said, colleges should actively and diligently work to do that.

When he says things like this, I get so conflicted in my like/dislike quotient for the man.

I think theres plenty of people that want to selfishly shut (satellite camps) down for their own selfish purposes to protect their recruiting areas or, worse yet, because theyre lazy, Leach said. They want to do all their stuff in the dark. They want it shrouded by darkness, secrecy.

The committee. Well who did it? Them. Well, whos them? We cant tell you who them is. They want it shrouded by secrecy. I think we need as much exposure to this as possible because our biggest role is to help work and develop student-athletes and with that said, colleges should actively and diligently work to do that.

When he says things like this, I get so conflicted in my like/dislike quotient for the man.

I love Mike Leach. He kicked NU's butts, but he's honest and seems like a good dude. Plus, he's obsessed with pirates, and wrote a book about Geronimo, what's not to like?