NCAA approves 3 year moratorium on new bowls

Redux

Hey, I actually approve of a move by the appendix of college football. No new bowls for 3 years! This in response to 3 losing teams going to and winning bowls in the 2015 post season. We can directly claim we positively affected the bowl system! ESPN cries about it here:

The NCAA has approved a three-year moratorium on new bowl games, sources told ESPN.

The NCAA Division I Council's decision comes a year after there were not enough bowl-eligible teams to fill the record 41 postseason games, resulting in a record three teams with losing records earning bowl berths.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15181015/ncaa-approves-three-year-moratorium-new-bowl-games

Look, most people are wising up to the BS line of "More games is good for everyone, mostly the players" line. It's not. A Once proud system that rewarded the best teams for the best seasons has been dilluted to a corporate money grab by sports monopoly in the quest to make sure every FBS team eventually plays in the post season. Why is this bad? See FAU about how great going to a bowl game is. Look into the shady Fiesta bowl dealings. Ask Alabamas bowl rep what the hell he is doing at the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

Thank you NCAA.

• Fire 1

Why the NCAA would do anything that would hurt the money picture is beyond reason, except of course the not so uncommon knee jerk response in today's politiclally correct world of immediately over reacting to 'scandal'. The ridiculous crying foul last year about a few teams being invited to bowls with losing records was typical. What the hell difference does it make what a given team's won-loss record is when it comes to playing the next football game? The schools and NCAA keep adding games and extending the seasons and now creating a 'mini playoff' arrangement in order to generate more money. There were plenty of cries about having the wrong teams in the so called playoffs and whether one or another team with one or more losses should be allowed to play in the so called playoff because the team had lost previously, or didn't win their conference or somebody was the coach or some player had an off field issue. It is all much ado about not much.

NCAA sports is all about MONEY and convincing as many people as possible to spend their hard earned bucks in ways that will rub off on the schools, the coaches and administrators thereof, and yes, even the players themselves. Sadly, we are watching as the NCAA becomes a junior NFL. The 'professionalization' if you will of college (amature) athletics.

the best thing the Power 5 conferences could do would be to pull out of the NCAA and form their own governing organization (let's call it the CFL for example) and create their own schedules, rules, recruiting, limits, playoffs, etc. They would immediately be able to renegotiate massive new TV contracts as the new junior NFL above the lowly average run of the mill state and junior college teams. The schools would be rolling in the dough and the fans of these schools could argue all day long, year round, about whose the best, etc. Of course it won't be like it used to be for anybody and it never will be.

I guess I'm in the group of "what's the harm with an extra bowl?"

It's not like the national champion is any less prestigious because some more ~.500 teams get to play.

Good thing that there wasn't a restriction last year, because the roses might be blooming as brightly this spring if NU hadn't ended on an uptick.

How's that bad for a school and it's players?

Fans worry about "watering it down" and "participation trophies," but guess what. Fans aren't participants and it makes no sense why they shouldn't be offended by that.

• Fire 5

I guess I'm in the group of "what's the harm with an extra bowl?"

It's not like the national champion is any less prestigious because some more ~.500 teams get to play.

Good thing that there wasn't a restriction last year, because the roses might be blooming as brightly this spring if NU hadn't ended on an uptick.

How's that bad for a school and it's players?

Fans worry about "watering it down" and "participation trophies," but guess what. Fans aren't participants and it makes no sense why they shouldn't be offended by that.

I urge anyone to read this who thinks more bowls is better. Sure it's great for the players to get prizes, that's about it though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0052RCW3Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1460389262&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=death+to+the+bcs

• Fire 1

I agree with whoever said that this was designed to help the NCAA monetairly. Limiting the bowls increases the size of the piece of pie each team gets for each bowl. More bowls does not make the pie bigger. It's a supply and demand thing - if they can limit the number of new bowls for 3 years, they can drive up the price per bowl. Whether or not that benefits the team or the NCAA more, I'm not sure. My guess is that it benefits the NCAA but I don't know.