The General Election

No, I didn't. I thought you, as a clear Trump supporter, were genuinely parroting Trump's name-calling the way we've seen other Trump supporters do regularly here (remember when 'Lyin' Ted' graced this place?) in an attempt to ridicule Elizabeth Warren.

That seemed like a safe assumption, but if instead it was sarcasm, and you were ironically pointing out the line of attack for the empty, racially-tinged disgrace it is, then I apologize for leaping to conclusions.

There was nothing racist about that comment. The lady lied about having native american heritage so she'd get special treatment at Harvard. I actually find that comment extremely funny.

Do you seriously feel that there's nothing racist about the comment made by Trump? Regardless of her supposedly checking a box, there is no situation where a man should refer to a woman as Pocahontas. None. It's a horrible habit that Trump has, to belittle and attempt to demean people by using a "nickname" to condescend to them. It's unattractive, and a weak childish move at best (i.e. Little Marco, Boring Jeb, Crooked Hilary) but this one is indeed racist. I assume you're male - do you feel there is ever a time that you could be referred to as Tonto and it would be appropriate?

• Fire 3

No, I didn't. I thought you, as a clear Trump supporter, were genuinely parroting Trump's name-calling the way we've seen other Trump supporters do regularly here (remember when 'Lyin' Ted' graced this place?) in an attempt to ridicule Elizabeth Warren.

That seemed like a safe assumption, but if instead it was sarcasm, and you were ironically pointing out the line of attack for the empty, racially-tinged disgrace it is, then I apologize for leaping to conclusions.

There was nothing racist about that comment. The lady lied about having native american heritage so she'd get special treatment at Harvard. I actually find that comment extremely funny.

Do you seriously feel that there's nothing racist about the comment made by Trump? Regardless of her supposedly checking a box, there is no situation where a man should refer to a woman as Pocahontas. None. It's a horrible habit that Trump has, to belittle and attempt to demean people by using a "nickname" to condescend to them. It's unattractive, and a weak childish move at best (i.e. Little Marco, Boring Jeb, Crooked Hilary) but this one is indeed racist. I assume you're male - do you feel there is ever a time that you could be referred to as Tonto and it would be appropriate?

If I had claimed to be Native American in order to get special treatment when in reality I have 0% Native American blood, then if someone jabs me with the term "Tonto" I deserved it. And no, it's not racist. And in case people need the actual definition:

Racism

having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another.
Nothing that he said demeaned Native Americans, unless they'd consider being associated with this woman as an insult. But then again, everyone gets offended by anything and everything these days...

Alright. Enough's enough.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/05/is-elizabeth-warren-native-american-or-what/257415/

To be sure, the absence of readily located evidence of Native ancestry outside the oral tradition does not mean that Warren has no Native American ancestry. Genealogy is a complicated field, where firm answers are hard to come by quickly. Proof of distant Native American ancestry could yet surface, were Warren to hire a genealogist to do a thorough dive into her own background while she works on riding out the political storm.

But a lack of Native ancestry despite the family stories she's heard all her life would also be consistent with one of the most common genealogical myths in the United States.

"Many more Americans believe they have Native ancestry than actually do (we always suspected this, but can now confirm it through genetic testing)," said Smolenyak in an email. "In fact, in terms of wide-spread ancestral myths, this is one of the top two (the other being those who think their names were changed at Ellis Island). And someone who hails from Oklahoma would be even more prone to accept a tale of Native heritage than most."

She added: "There's also a tendency to accept what our relatives (especially our elders) tell us."

As for Warren, "I can't confirm or refute Cherokee heritage without extensive research," she said. "All I can say is that Ms. Warren's scenario is a wildly common one -- minus the public scrutiny, of course."

Warren, who graduated from the University of Houston in 1970 and got her law degree from Rutgers University in 1976, did not seek to take advantage of affirmative action policies during her education, according documents obtained by the Associated Press and The Boston Globe. On the application to Rutgers Law School she was asked, "Are you interested in applying for admission under the Program for Minority Group Students?'' "No," she replied.

• Fire 3

Regarding racial tensions, that's a complete joke to blame the cops for all racial tensions. With the Ferguson riots, there was ample evidence that Darren Wilson was acting in self-defense, yet the left extremists were looking for a reason to create riots, and the media (including Fox) fueled what might happen, and as the city of Ferguson was on fire, those leftists figured fueling the fire were suddenly realizing what had happened. I'm not saying every cop is innocent, and there are some dumb cops out there, but the President could have issued more harsh words to his fellow African Americans that its not ok to burn a city down in protest. When Black Lives Matter protesters were chanting they wanted dead cops, Obama sat silently and refused to condemn them. I think this article highlights those racial tensions and I frankly feel that is a big reason why Donald Trump was so successful in the primaries.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/17/how-obama-has-turned-back-the-clock-on-race-relations/

The problems in Ferguson went much deeper than the Darren Wilson incident. Once that happened and the police force there was investigated, it was revealed that there was an ongoing problem with racism within the force. This incident just brought it to the boiling point no matter if this particular incident was justified or not.

I'm sure there were deeper problems in Ferguson, just as there was a long history of violence and crime in Baltimore prior to that city erupting as well. I simply do not recall in my lifetime seeing the level of violent protests across many parts of the nation that we've had in the past few years, and race has a lot to do with that, but protests in general seems to be at a similar level now as it was back in the 1960s.

Having experienced the '60s first-hand, I can assure you that what you are seeing today isn't even close to what was happening in the '60s. The '68 Democratic National Convention outbreak, the Black Panthers, the Weathermen, SDS - by today's standards they would have been considered terrorists given the level of violent protest in which they engaged. And much of that came from racial tensions - in fact, the birth of those many of those groups were directly attributable to racial tensions. There were riots in more than 100 cities after the assassination of Dr. King alone.

What is being experienced today doesn't even compare to what it was like in the '60s.

Not even close. Yet...

...I think one of the reasons it's "suddenly" turned this ugly and divisive is because a large well-intentioned white majority has been patting itself on the back for how far race relations have come in the past generation or two, and were genuinely ignorant how differently black people are still treated in this country.

So what's been biggest change in the past 8 years?

Everyone has a cell phone with a camera.

That's the game-changer.

• Fire 2

If I had claimed to be Native American in order to get special treatment when in reality I have 0% Native American blood, then if someone jabs me with the term "Tonto" I deserved it. And no, it's not racist. And in case people need the actual definition:

Racism

having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another.
Nothing that he said demeaned Native Americans, unless they'd consider being associated with this woman as an insult. But then again, everyone gets offended by anything and everything these days...

You'd have to talk to Native Americans to determine if they felt demeaned ... the two current members of House felt at best it was pejorative and felt strongly enough to comment about it in the press. As did John McCain.

I'm going to choose to be happy about the fact that he's alienated yet another group of Americans, as well as some additional republican politicians. So now Hilary's got Women, Mexicans, Muslims, Native Americans and LGBT among others (heck just count all the folks from NJ, NY, FL and elsewhere who are suing him for back wages and lack of payment for services and goods provided, as well as the Trump University folks) I'm feeling pretty good, and I I think his downward spiral has just begun.

HA! Monday night the DNC announces that somehow Hillary magically got enough delegates to clinch the nomination, even though rules state that Super Delegates are not official until the convention. Why did they make this announcement? In order to discourage Bernie supporters from making their way to the voting booths. After this, Bernie still won 1 of the states and was competitive in the rest. Even Democrats don't want to vote for Hillary, so based on that alone, people are being very naive to act like she is going to win hands down. People will see in the coming months I guess...

Did the *DNC* make that announcement Monday night, or was it just the AP doing what news organizations do? The math has been obvious for a while.

Bernie lost in popular votes. He lost in pledged delegates. He lost most of the states on Tuesday, too. By every measure he lost this race, and while his grassroots campaign was impressively successful, it also wasn't that close. In the end, he just doesn't have as many supporters as Hillary does.

• Fire 1

HA! Monday night the DNC announces that somehow Hillary magically got enough delegates to clinch the nomination, even though rules state that Super Delegates are not official until the convention. Why did they make this announcement? In order to discourage Bernie supporters from making their way to the voting booths. After this, Bernie still won 1 of the states and was competitive in the rest. Even Democrats don't want to vote for Hillary, so based on that alone, people are being very naive to act like she is going to win hands down. People will see in the coming months I guess...

I predicted nothing correctly in this election and I'm confident of nothing the rest of the way.

• Fire 1

I predicted nothing correctly in this election and I'm confident of nothing the rest of the way.

Props

Is it surprising to anyone that Donald Trump not only had multiple affairs with married women -- while married himself -- he saw fit to brag about it in his autobiography?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/27/christians-cringe-at-donald-trump-s-sexy-past.html

Don't care, myself, but Republicans and evangelical Christians might want to start scuttling off that moral high ground.

I have no idea why Trump won or tied the Evangelical vote in many of the primaries as I would prefer someone with a better personal compass. With that said, I do expect many of those Evangelicals who did not support him in the primaries to get on board as we are down to two deeply flawed candidates, and Trump at least offers a chance to reverse the negative direction this country has been on for years. Hillary will simply offer more of the same. Thus, I do now expect many of those Evangelicals that did not support Trump in the primary to get on board the Trump train.

Seriously. I need a Republican to walk me through the negatives that define the negative direction we're heading down, so we can figure out how they happened, how to stop them and/or whether they are actually bad.

And I need a good Christian to help me figure out why so many followers of Christ are opposed to feeding the hungry, helping the sick and loving thy neighbor, and instead support candidates who embrace guns, wage war and invite the money lenders INTO the temple.

You are starting to sound like Trump by making extreme outlandish statements as a starting point for debating points. With that said, I will take the bait. :)

Regarding the negative direction we are facing, here are my 4 biggest concerns facing our nation.

1. ISIS-As I pointed out in another thread, according to Obama's own CIA director, ISIS has grown 4400% under his watch. While he's taken out Bin Laden and other terror targets, we face a greater threat against terrorism today then when he took office.

2. Economic growth/Jobs-Obama certainly inherited a tough economic climate when he took office, so it's great that we've seen some improvement, but to me there is so much more possibility with our economy, and under his watch, more people have actually stopped working and dropped out of the labor force (meaning they are more dependent on social services), and the labor participation rate is the lowest since the Carter days. I would note that of all the past 5 Presidents, I think Reagan, Bush 43, and Obama inherited the worst situations, while Bush 41 and Clinton inherited the best. To me Bush 43 had the most difficult climate his first year dealing with a recession that Clinton left him, the Enron scandal and collapsing financial markets, and then 9/11. Anyone who would expect to see positive economic metrics (jobs, GDP growth) in his first 3 years in office simply is not being realistic.

http://dailysignal.com/2012/09/07/two-huge-flaws-in-the-legend-of-the-clinton-economy/

3. National Debt-Members of both parties are to blame for our national debt, but CBO predictions show that the rise in national debt in the coming years is going to explode even more than it has the past 10 years. Obamacare has made this rise in national debt worse.

4. Racial Tensions-Under Obama's watch, Racial Tensions have gotten worse, whether its the Ferguson Riots or the Baltimore riots or other acts. Polling supports that racial tensions have gotten worse. I liked what Obama said in 2008 that we are one America, and he would bring us together, but instead he's done the opposite, taking a divided nation and making it more divided.

As for your comments about Christians, that's just ridiculous. I know we attend church every week and participate in programs to feed the hungry both in the US and around the world. We are constantly doing reachout activities to our local communities. And that is common across many Christian denominations. The difference is that Christian Conservatives do not feel its the Government's role to provide for all. Does this mean that the government should provide no social services...no, but when asked about increasing the size of government to pay for more citizens to be dependent on government, most Christians and Conservatives in general are going to oppose that.

I could pose the same question to you. Hillary and Obama claim to be Christian. If that is the case, why are they proponents of abortion. I heard Hillary say in a speech a few weeks ago "I'm Pro-abortion."

As I pointed out just a few days ago to those questioning my concerns about the Obama Presidency, item #1 on my list was the growth of ISIS and the fact that terrorism is a greater threat now then when he took office. It's very unfortunate that we have another horrific terror act in our country inspired by a group that was not a major player just 7 years ago. Prayers for all the victims and family members to those killed and injured today. An attack like this against any American is an attack against all of us.

f#*k that d******d. He's right about nothing and no one is congratulating him.

What a tone-deaf post from a pathological narcissist. I expected some cringe-worthy politicization of this latest horrific event, but the orange douchebag actually exceeded my low expectations of him.

The radical Islamic terrorist in Orlando is no different from the radical Christian terrorist who shot up Planned Parenthood.

This is not the message you send hours after a horrific event.

Keep this man away from any exercise of power. He's a piece of sh#t.

• Fire 6