The General Election

Putin is a bag of dicks. He's not a friend of this country, and he'll exploit Trump like the oaf he is if Trump lets him.

What I'm scared of is Trump hammering out some kind of deal with Putin where he (Putin) basically decimates Syria to try and eliminate ISIS (probably killing craploads of civilians in the process) and we agree to look the other way on Ukraine.

The whole NATO thing is worrying. He seems to think we can unilaterally take on anything that comes our way and doesn't understand the importance of having defense treaties in place in the event sh#t does hit the fan. Likewise, he views everything through a transactional lens, as a businessman would, so if NATO costs us money, it's probably bad. He's probably only incentivized to do things he thinks will make us money.

Similarly, unfortunately, he probably sees no reason to stick our necks out for Ukraine if we can't profit from it. So if he can kill two birds with one stone by A) claiming he made a great deal with Putin to wipe out ISIS and B) save us money and effort in Ukraine, he probably thinks it's all peaches and cream.

I'll say a prayer for your friend. I hope it doesn't come to that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/moscow-had-contacts-with-trump-team-during-campaign-russian-diplomat-says/2016/11/10/28fb82fa-a73d-11e6-9bd6-184ab22d218e_story.html

MOSCOW — Russian government officials conferred with members of Donald Trump’s campaign team, a senior Russian diplomat said Thursday, a disclosure that could reopen scrutiny of the Kremlin’s role in the president-elect’s bitter race against Hillary Clinton.

The statement came from Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov, who said in an interview with the state-run Interfax news agency that “there were contacts” with the Trump team.

“Obviously, we know most of the people from his entourage,” Ryabkov said.

I don't know. Is this eyebrow raising?

It certainly doesn't give me comfort that Donald Trump is about to learn the nation's "deep secrets".

I mean, what did we think the President's role was?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/09/california-primary-trump-rhetoric-school-bully

“They said things like ‘you’ll get deported’, ‘you weren’t born here’ and ‘you were born in a Taco Bell’,” said Iglehart, 49. “They may not know exactly what it means, but they know it’s powerful language.”

“We mapped it out. There was no state or region that jumped out. It was everywhere,” said Maureen Costello, the study’s author. “Marginalized students are feeling very frightened, especially Muslims and Mexicans. Many teachers use the word terrified.” The children who did the taunting were echoing Trump’s rhetoric, she said. “Bad behavior has been normalized. They think it’s OK.”

This is a five month old article. I'm offering it in rebuttal to some fanciful claims that nothing is happening. They are -- and have been -- inspired by Trump's candidacy.

I believe the other official response is that kids will be kids, and this is fine, and you should see what they say in schools these days.

Anyone wants to hang that banner on themselves, go for it. Do it loudly and proudly. Honesty is a virtue.

Religion is the elephant in the room, and will have to be analyzed in the post mortem of this election.

Please explain. Thanks I'm not understanding your point.

I'm going to be AFK for a while. Remind me of this next week and I'll talk more. It's a decent/big explanation.

Knapp, here is your reminder. Class is in.

Clinton - 61,781,982 votes

Trump - 60,834,398 votes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TIME reported today that the discrepancy is now over 1 million.

From what I read a few days ago, the gap is expected ultimately surpass 1.5 and perhaps close in on 2 (million).

For reference, in 2000 Gore won the popular vote by somewhere around 500-600k (though total voters was a lot lower back then).

Clinton - 61,781,982 votes

Trump - 60,834,398 votes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That can't be true...I saw on Facebook that Trump won the popular vote.

Sometimes I laugh at this stuff and then I wonder what it's going to be like for people who grow up with it. People who never experienced life before Fox News and the dozens of news sources that are far worse than Fox News that have cropped up recently. When you hear the President bashing all of the legit news sources, and you never knew anything before that, how do you know what's actually true? As I've mentioned before, people are even saying they're taking Trump's words out of context. You can actually seeing him on video, with words coming out of his mouth, and people have excuses for how it's all the media's fault.

I feel like we're not that many steps away from things being legitimately scary.

• Fire 1