The General Election

That's kind of amazing. He's well and truly lost his party, then?

I suppose it's not so confusing. They've decided he is now more of a liability than an aid in helping them secure the Congressional majorities necessary to continue attacking environmental efforts, voting rights, LGBT rights, and everything else they've been doing for the last six years. I'd wish them good luck, but of course I couldn't mean it.

That +11 polls is absolutely beautiful. I should mention, the 2-way for that poll is Clinton +14 (C 52, T 38).

The deme scenario here for Dems is that Pence also bails, Trump gets pissed, and tells his voters specifically not to vote for Congressional candidates who don't support him. I'd imagine he owns a large enough share of the Republican base at this point that if he does that, they're completely screwed. And he'd do it, he is an incredibly small and vindictive man.

Of course, if the GOP then runs back to re-endorse him, it would be completely and totally transparent, and I'd hope they'd get crushed at the ballot box for having no integrity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/opinion/trump-the-next-big-short.html

Business leaders in this country are terrified of a Trump presidency.

A recent study by the nonpartisan Peterson Institute for International Economics estimated that, rather than bringing jobs back to the United States, the tariffs would result in trade wars that could cost our economy five million jobs and possibly lead to a recession.
...And while businessmen surely like tax cuts — especially for themselves — they worry over the magnitude of Mr. Trump’s reductions and the lack of any specificity about how he would pay for them. According to the nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, the Trump tax policies would add $5.8 trillion to the national debt over the next 10 years.
Lastly, people in business are repelled on both moral and economic grounds by Mr. Trump’s plan to deport more than 11 million illegal immigrants, which the conservative American Action Forum calculated would cost $400 billion to $600 billion, reduce gross domestic product by $1.6 trillion and take 20 years.
  • Fire 2