Valentine to the Patriots

I am surprised he went this high. Then again, further proof of why I am not a talent evaluator for the NFL. I am guessing they saw his soph year numbers and went off of that as he was injured all last year. They can get his work ethic up with performance based incentives. NFL, IMO, appears to draft on potential and "eye ball" test in addition to production.

Pats is a great place for any player IMO. HC BB has a way of getting the most out of guys.

I am surprised he went this high. Then again, further proof of why I am not a talent evaluator for the NFL. I am guessing they saw his soph year numbers and went off of that as he was injured all last year. They can get his work ethic up with performance based incentives. NFL, IMO, appears to draft on potential and "eye ball" test in addition to production.

Pats is a great place for any player IMO. HC BB has a way of getting the most out of guys.

The NFL draft is clearly done by potential and fit, more than college production. Michael Sam was a very productive college player who couldn't sniff a NFL roster.

It's absolutely great that Valentine went higher in the draft that anyone on HB thought he would. It's absolutely typical that we have posters dominating this thread to say "I told you so"--even though he went higher in the draft that anyone on HB thought he would. (btw, I was one of those who thought he'd be better off staying another year--because I thought he would be better off in the draft *and* for my own selfish reasons.)

I don't really care about "crowing" about it, but some of us did predict 3rd round.

To the larger point, though, similarly to how people threw Maurice under the bus, people were all over VV about his work ethic and such based on some tweets when he was a freshman. It's nice to see an organization as successful as New England refute those shallow evaluations.

• Fire 1

It's absolutely great that Valentine went higher in the draft that anyone on HB thought he would. It's absolutely typical that we have posters dominating this thread to say "I told you so"--even though he went higher in the draft that anyone on HB thought he would. (btw, I was one of those who thought he'd be better off staying another year--because I thought he would be better off in the draft *and* for my own selfish reasons.)

I don't really care about "crowing" about it, but some of us did predict 3rd round.

To the larger point, though, similarly to how people threw Maurice under the bus, people were all over VV about his work ethic and such based on some tweets when he was a freshman. It's nice to see an organization as successful as New England refute those shallow evaluations.

It's fantastic that he got drafted when he did to NE.

But, let's not act like this all of a sudden counters every criticism of him.

I hope he goes on and has a fantastic career but there have been much higher picks that didn't make it in the league.

Let's hope the good fortunes keep coming his way once he gets to camp and I the season.

• Fire 1

Now why people are disappointed with the Pats, if I were a FB player, especially a defensive one I'd want to play for the best. And Bellicek is it. He's the Coach dub of pro football. Valentine must have showed some innate skills and potential to get on his radar, and I expect he'll do amazing things under this program. What a great opportunity (I can't say I feel that way about Dallas)