How many of you attended a college that you never visited?

In the recruiting forum there is that RB that may attend Nebraska and he has never visited the campus. How many of you never stepped foot on the campus of the school you ended up attending?

I visited Lincoln, Michigan State and Northern Illinois. I am not sure that I would have attended a school that i never saw in person but maybe with how much you can see/learn with the internet things are a bit different now.

We just had those old college brochures...where they showed a kid of each race on the "quad" playing a sport or studying together!

I think it is much different when you are comparing what a possible football player may decide to do as opposed to an average joe high school kid. While the player may not have personally seen the campus, he will have talked with any number of people from coaches to other players on the team, etc. He will, as has been stated, have taken a virtual tour, perhaps watched videos, etc. The average joe from 30 years ago would have had NONE of the above and, yes, maybe a brochure or something, unless you had a relative who went there or something.

A significant percentage of these recruits are looking at football (not at 'school') as well which is just the opposite for most 'average joe' students. I was more concerned with how far to class from the dorms, the class offerings, the cost of tuition, books, fees and housing and etc. They are not paying for this - just getting it all covered from a scholarship. I think a visit makes sense but not if you had to spend the money out of your own pocket. For example, my daughter considered an Ivy League school for her collegiate endeavors (a gymnastics scholarship, etc) but she ultimately passed on it in favor of a opportunity much more driveable as she didn't want to be so far from friends and family, etc. I don't think going to see the campus would have made any difference in the decision. If she was interested in attending Brown, in this case, she could have made the choice without looking at the classrooms, buildings, trees and decorative artwork around the campus, etc. A dorm room is a dorm room is a dorm room really. Most cafeterias are about the same, etc. Gym equipment is gym equipment.

I think it is much different when you are comparing what a possible football player may decide to do as opposed to an average joe high school kid. While the player may not have personally seen the campus, he will have talked with any number of people from coaches to other players on the team, etc. He will, as has been stated, have taken a virtual tour, perhaps watched videos, etc. The average joe from 30 years ago would have had NONE of the above and, yes, maybe a brochure or something, unless you had a relative who went there or something.

A significant percentage of these recruits are looking at football (not at 'school') as well which is just the opposite for most 'average joe' students. I was more concerned with how far to class from the dorms, the class offerings, the cost of tuition, books, fees and housing and etc. They are not paying for this - just getting it all covered from a scholarship. I think a visit makes sense but not if you had to spend the money out of your own pocket. For example, my daughter considered an Ivy League school for her collegiate endeavors (a gymnastics scholarship, etc) but she ultimately passed on it in favor of a opportunity much more driveable as she didn't want to be so far from friends and family, etc. I don't think going to see the campus would have made any difference in the decision. If she was interested in attending Brown, in this case, she could have made the choice without looking at the classrooms, buildings, trees and decorative artwork around the campus, etc. A dorm room is a dorm room is a dorm room really. Most cafeterias are about the same, etc. Gym equipment is gym equipment.

Interesting! You don't think seeing the ivy league campus would have changed her mind at all?

I had two older brothers that attended UNL and I went to see them often while I was in HS. So, yes, I visited.

However, about half way through my college years I was very disheartened with what I was doing and everything that was happening in my life. I thought I needed a change of scenery and friends I hung out with.

I almost transferred to aTm. I would have gone in a heart beat without visiting the campus if I could have figured out how to pay for it.

I applied to 2 colleges (UNL and Kansas) when I was a senior in high school. I almost applied to Michigan, but their application had an essay, and I didn't want to have to write an essay.

I never visited KU, and they gave me some ok scholarship money to attend there. But, when UNL gave me free tuition for 4-years it was a no-brainer to go there.

Three degrees. I visited all three before applying. I also took summer classes at three different schools. I visited those three as well. Heck, I even visited East Campus at UNL before taking a class there.

I spent my first year in college at Nebraska Weslyan. I hated it, it was like going to HS. Being an Iowa resident I decided to visit a couple of HS friends at Iowa and check out the place. It may have just been their friends, but everyone I met was smug/arrogant /condiscending from Chicago. It really turned me off of the University of Iowa. I transfered to Northwest Missouri State and the rest is history.

I spent my first year in college at Nebraska Weslyan. I hated it, it was like going to HS. Being an Iowa resident I decided to visit a couple of HS friends at Iowa and check out the place. It may have just been their friends, but everyone I met was smug/arrogant /condiscending from Chicago. It really turned me off of the University of Iowa. I transfered to Northwest Missouri State and the rest is history.

Iowa is a HUGE spot for Chicago kids.

Iowa is a HUGE spot for Chicago kids.

Oh yeah, back in the day it was just as cheap as Illinois and closer to Chicago. I wasn't ready to embrace that I was inferior to them because I grew up in small town Iowa, at least that is what they thought. :lol:

Three degrees. I visited all three before applying. I also took summer classes at three different schools. I visited those three as well. Heck, I even visited East Campus at UNL before taking a class there.

I visited East Campus many times just to get good cafeteria food.

• Fire 1

Absolutely wouldn't attend college without a visit. Especially one so far away from home. It would be one thing if he had a buddy coming with him, or a friend already here. But great fans or not - momma won't let her son make that sort of decision, especially if they're as close as it sounds they are.

Now, if he can get up for a visit on a game day ... just imagine how impressed he'd be with the fan base.

I visited East Campus many times just to get good cafeteria food.
I visited many times for ice cream and bowling
East Campus is where my department is but I haven't gone bowling there yet. The new rec center seems pretty nice.

Anyhow, to answer the question, no. That seems kinda crazy to me. Although I regretted attending the first I went to even after having visited.