What Would It Take to Draw More Interest In Attending Games

I said it in the other thread but I'll say it again here too:

I really only have interest in going to the games if I have good seats, i.e. sidelines in the lower bowl w/ an unobstructed view. And that is for all sports, not just Nebraska football. Call it cheap call it whatever but there comes a point where the further away from the field/court you get the less enjoyable the experience is.

To use as an example, I love the Charlotte Hornets. Watch every game and live about an 8 minute walk from the arena. Went to 2 games last year, one was against Cleveland and I sat 3 rows from the floor using tickets we bought at well below face value on craigslist for $300, which included buffet from a 5* chef and unlimited beers. The other was a playoff game in the lower bowl where we bought seats for $80 a pop. Could my $380 have gotten me a lot more games in person had I been willing to sit in the upper bowl for all of those games? Absolutely. Is that something I'll be considering in the future? Definitely not. The seats are fairly steep and the players are just tiny dots when you get that high up.

People have also said this and its true- I love the game day experience at UNL but college football (pro too for that matter) is really an investment of a whole day. You get there early to tailgate, you spend money to park, on gas, on tailgate equipment, on food for the tailgate, on alcohol/drinks for the tailgate, on tickets, on concessions in the game, and are spending 6+ hours doing the game day routine, including the actual game. It is a serious investment to be going to do that 7 times a fall, especially if/when the team is non-competitive and the home schedule looks like it does this year. People only have so much time and money in their lives, if people choose to spend that time and money on something other than season tickets for Husker football games can you really blame them?

• Fire 4

Better teams / win more

Lower ticket & donation prices

Better concessions

More night games in the early season

Fewer commercial interruptions

Better seats / seat backs

Better parking / tailgate scene

I think the two bolded ones are probably the biggest ones that could be upgraded. Having a better team would obviously be a bigger draw. And I hate sitting on bench seats - having an actual chair is a HUGE difference. But if you have to sit on a bench, at least have enough space to move a bit.

Unfortunately the university doesn't have any control over a couple of things on your list.

-Get the 3-4 morons in Northeast stadium into the correct row so my row isn't a sardine can.

-Beer

-Ban the family behind me. You 3 have been coming to every game for at least 7 years now, you would think 1 of you would be able to figure out the difference between offense and defense....but nope! You continue to scream GO DEFENSE in that nails on a chalkboard voice when The QB just snapped the ball. Your daughters voice makes me want to punch kittens.

-Beer

-Maybe a little padding on the worlds most uncomfortable bleacher seats?

-More Beer please

-A home conference opponent that doesn't suck

-One more beer

-Somebody mop the piss off the mens room floor, and hang an air freshener or two

-Okay LAST beer....and maybe one more for the road

• Fire 3

Better opponents on the schedule

More wins by the team

Beer sales

No stupid, dumbass, repetitive, boring, lame, tired advertisements (especially when the crowd is going crazy during a good game). They absolutely KILL the organic atmosphere.

More attendance? Well, first we'd have to put in more seats. :lol:

We're not doing too bad though. Number 11 in the nation. And I'll bet we have the smallest stadium in the top 25 of attendance. LINK

More attendance? Well, first we'd have to put in more seats. :lol:

We're not doing too bad though. Number 11 in the nation. And I'll bet we have the smallest stadium in the top 25 of attendance. LINK

Interesting coincidence? #11 in attendance in both football and men's basketball

I said it in the other thread but I'll say it again here too:

I really only have interest in going to the games if I have good seats, i.e. sidelines in the lower bowl w/ an unobstructed view. And that is for all sports, not just Nebraska football. Call it cheap call it whatever but there comes a point where the further away from the field/court you get the less enjoyable the experience is.

To use as an example, I love the Charlotte Hornets. Watch every game and live about an 8 minute walk from the arena. Went to 2 games last year, one was against Cleveland and I sat 3 rows from the floor using tickets we bought at well below face value on craigslist for $300, which included buffet from a 5* chef and unlimited beers. The other was a playoff game in the lower bowl where we bought seats for $80 a pop. Could my $380 have gotten me a lot more games in person had I been willing to sit in the upper bowl for all of those games? Absolutely. Is that something I'll be considering in the future? Definitely not. The seats are fairly steep and the players are just tiny dots when you get that high up.

People have also said this and its true- I love the game day experience at UNL but college football (pro too for that matter) is really an investment of a whole day. You get there early to tailgate, you spend money to park, on gas, on tailgate equipment, on food for the tailgate, on alcohol/drinks for the tailgate, on tickets, on concessions in the game, and are spending 6+ hours doing the game day routine, including the actual game. It is a serious investment to be going to do that 7 times a fall, especially if/when the team is non-competitive and the home schedule looks like it does this year. People only have so much time and money in their lives, if people choose to spend that time and money on something other than season tickets for Husker football games can you really blame them?

it costs a lot to go a lot........there is other entertainment for less.......the tend is changing folks.