Gun Control

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

And I think the mass killings af Americans by Americans with guns has gotten sideswiped in this thread by a focus on gender identity.  Theres' another thread on this board for that topic.

Perhaps we can focus on the fact that typically consistent in a mass shooters history is trauma in their childhood - like sexual assaults, bullying, violence in the home and that the majority of them are committed by white, christian, male, loners, many of whom have targeted folks based on religion, race or where they are in proximity to a location that means something to the shooter.  These men are looking for acceptance and approval, and have decided that this suicide, and taking others out with them is the way to gain that.  

Of the 135 mass shootings in the US since 1985 only 4 were done by women.   .03%

Most of these shooters got their guns "legally".

Most of the recent shootings have involved AR15 as the main weapon.

So the problem isn't gender identity.  It's access to guns (mostly high velocity) and lack of stop gap measures to identify the folks that should have access to them.  Most of whom are men.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/27/981803154/why-nearly-all-mass-shooters-are-men

Go after handguns too.  They're the predominant means for shooting others and used vastly more than an AR.  

And we're going to expect the criminals to follow the laws while 99.99% of the law abiding are restricted/disarmed/pick your regulation?  

• TBH 3

8 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Not sure you're reading the updates.  I'm against the act and the progressive movement to condone, promote, and/or champion it.  

A trans person sure did impact lives recently.  And not because they're trans, but that is how the real issue manifested.  Before the shooting, does your relativism say all was well as that persons truth was being fully realized?  Then truth became people need to die.  It infringed on other people's truths they want to live.

It's all so terribly tragic.  The shooting, paramount to anything, and then the systems arising in the thread.  

You have no idea what caused this most recent shooter to kill in TN.  You are making a leep based on your own hangups.

I suspect the manifesto will be helpful once they share it. Until then we have no clue.  It may stem from the Covanant sexual deviant John Perry that was protected by the church while abusing little girls, it may be that mom pissed them off, it may be because they got fired, it may be because someone called them fat - we/you have no clue.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The suicide rates say that closeted homosexuals who feared they would never be accepted by society or family or given the chance to love who they wanted, would often rather kill themselves than come out. Similar for young people with gender dysphoria, for the same reason. As acceptance grows, suicide rates go down.

As a person of moral character I gotta think you'd be rooting for this. 

It isn't fixing the issue

15 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Go after handguns too.  They're the predominant means for shooting others and used vastly more than an AR.  

And we're going to expect the criminals to follow the laws while 99.99% of the law abiding are restricted/disarmed/pick your regulation?  

Depends if you are talking "shooting others" or committing a mass shooting.  The later is predominant tool for mass shootings.  

And I'm totally fine going after handguns.  I think only hunters should be allowed any sort of gun, and it shouldnt be high velocity.  But all of you "Don't take my guns" people would have fit.

And the last comment is just silly.  Data shows in the 80's the ban did indeed decrease deaths.  You are more worried about not having access to a tool for mass murder as a "law abiding" person than those who aren't well intentioned getting them easily.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/press/dem/releases/studies-gun-massacre-deaths-dropped-during-assault-weapons-ban-increased-after-expiration

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I feel like I've been giving you a lot of leeway because alternative viewpoints generally spur a healthier debate, but we're reaching the point where you really need to take your misinformation and artificial empathy and f#&% off. 

This hasn't happened to my family so impossible to empathize.  I ache for the families that lost children.  I cannot imagine.  

We differ on objective vs evolving truth.  We differ on multiple other topics.  Your last take is uncalled for.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2

20 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

And maybe that's what caused this person to commit these terrible acts.

Regardless of their motives, they could only achieve such violence and death because of the firearms they acquired.

What caused her to commit these crimes is her piece of s#!t attitude toward human life.  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Depends if you are talking "shooting others" or committing a mass shooting.  The later is predominant tool for mass shootings.  

And I'm totally fine going after handguns.  I think only hunters should be allowed any sort of gun, and it shouldnt be high velocity.  But all of you "Don't take my guns" people would have fit.

And the last comment is just silly.  Data shows in the 80's the ban did indeed decrease deaths.  You are more worried about not having access to a tool for mass murder as a "law abiding" person than those who aren't well intentioned getting them easily.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/press/dem/releases/studies-gun-massacre-deaths-dropped-during-assault-weapons-ban-increased-after-expiration

Silly to you.  Not to many others.  

I hunt as well.  Low velocity guns only would be an issue.  You mean low capacity?   

• TBH 1
26 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Silly to you.  Not to many others.  

I hunt as well.  Low velocity guns only would be an issue.  You mean low capacity?   

Yes - apologies, my gun terminology isn't top notch and I've had a long day so my english is also suffering,  Sign to sign off for now.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

How is the trend for child abuse through genital mutilation trending?  

It's actually trending really well.

In the last 70 years male circumcision rates have dropped almost 40% in the states. Worldwide female genital mutilation rates have dropped 33% in the last 30 years.

But since we all know you're not actually trying to look at an integrated entire picture but rather just trying to make a point about THE TRANS YOUTH, I've got that number for you too. The number of genital surgeries (you can argue philosophically if this is mutilation or not, same as i can argue circumcision is, but technically and by definition it is not mutilation) on minors in the last 4 years is...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

It's actually trending really well.

In the last 70 years male circumcision rates have dropped almost 40% in the states. Worldwide female genital mutilation rates have dropped 33% in the last 30 years.

But since we all know you're not actually trying to look at an integrated entire picture but rather just trying to make a point about THE TRANS YOUTH, I've got that number for you too. The number of genital surgeries (you can argue philosophically if this is mutilation or not, but technically and by definition it is not mutilation) on minors in the last 4 years is...

I'd prefer 0 but less than I thought.

Now let's get the adults attending kid drag shows while the latter dance on stage to be cheered on by the former down to zero.

It's quite broken.  

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I'd prefer 0 but less than I thought.

Now let's get the adults attending kid drag shows while the latter dance on stage to be cheered on by the former down to zero.

It's quite broken.  

When the mass shootings of kids in school has dropped to zero, then maybe we can tackle that issue.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

This hasn't happened to my family so impossible to empathize.  I ache for the families that lost children.  I cannot imagine.  

We differ on objective vs evolving truth.  We differ on multiple other topics.  Your last take is uncalled for.

You are fixated on something that is involved in a very small percentage of mass shootings. 

• Plus1 4