Gun Control

22 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Meanwhile…..back at the ranch. 

This was on the news here last night, obviously. There was no shooter. Many schools across the country received false reports of active shooters on campus on the same day.  I have not heard if they’ve linked them together yet but hoping they catch the perpetrators. Id call it a prank but it’s quite a bit more serious than that.

• Plus1 3

How many of you remember bomb threats at public schools? In the 1960s & 70s?  I remember two of my grade schools in Lincoln emptying out onto the sidewalk multiple times after someone called in claiming they had placed a bomb at the school. Police and fire units went in and poked around for awhile, then we went back in and resumed class. We knew they were bomb threats -- there was a lot of domestic terrorism at the time and they had to take it seriously -- but I don't recall feeling traumatized. Unlike school shootings, there hadn't been any actual school bombings. Our guess was some kid trying to get out of a test. 

I think once they proved you could empty a school with a bomb threat, the hoax became more popular. I wonder if the standard operating procedure changed, and if they started ignoring the calls. I'm not sure these bomb threats made the news beyond the back pages of the Lincoln Journal. 

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

How many of you remember bomb threats at public schools? In the 1960s & 70s?  I remember two of my grade schools in Lincoln emptying out onto the sidewalk multiple times after someone called in claiming they had placed a bomb at the school. Police and fire units went in and poked around for awhile, then we went back in and resumed class. We knew they were bomb threats -- there was a lot of domestic terrorism at the time and they had to take it seriously -- but I don't recall feeling traumatized. Unlike school shootings, there hadn't been any actual school bombings. Our guess was some kid trying to get out of a test. 

I think once they proved you could empty a school with a bomb threat, the hoax became more popular. I wonder if the standard operating procedure changed, and if they started ignoring the calls. I'm not sure these bomb threats made the news beyond the back pages of the Lincoln Journal. 

I’d be surprised if anyone is or has ever ignored a bomb threat. Maybe in Uvalde…

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I’d be surprised if anyone is or has ever ignored a bomb threat. Maybe in Uvalde…

Yeah, I don't think they started ignoring the calls. They were obliged to empty the school and I remember waiting it out on the sidewalk at least three times. But I'm almost certain these bomb threats were never considered front page news in Lincoln. 

For reference: this was around the time political terrorists were hijacking planes and diverting them to places like Cuba. It had gotten so common that Johnny Carson and the nightly sitcoms were making hijacking jokes. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I miss Jon. I don't always agree with him, but he makes pretty good debates. That said the child deaths argument was a little misleading. It's not really on the same plane as gun violence, and I don't think you're going to improve it with background checks as it's a general handling and care of guns issue. The only way to fix it is to require safes and locks on guns.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I miss Jon. I don't always agree with him, but he makes pretty good debates. That said the child deaths argument was a little misleading. It's not really on the same plane as gun violence, and I don't think you're going to improve it with background checks as it's a general handling and care of guns issue. The only way to fix it is to require safes and locks on guns.

Actually, requiring safes and locks doesn’t “fix” it either. Sure it helps, in the households that use safes and locks, but many people don’t, even when they are required. If all people were responsible with guns we wouldn’t have the problems we do have. There has to be a better solution than relying on people to do the right thing.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Actually, requiring safes and locks doesn’t “fix” it either. Sure it helps, in the households that use safes and locks, but many people don’t, even when they are required. If all people were responsible with guns we wouldn’t have the problems we do have. There has to be a better solution than relying on people to do the right thing.

You're right, but I didn't want to say there's nothing we can do when there are somethings that could be done but we don't want to do them. 

Safety training and responsibility is a big one. To Stewarts point you have to register to vote, and repubs want to enact all these laws about voter ID, so how would that be any different than registering to own a firearm and requiring safety course to be taken and certain protocols regarding ownership to be followed?

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

You're right, but I didn't want to say there's nothing we can do when there are somethings that could be done but we don't want to do them. 

Safety training and responsibility is a big one. To Stewarts point you have to register to vote, and repubs want to enact all these laws about voter ID, so how would that be any different than registering to own a firearm and requiring safety course to be taken and certain protocols regarding ownership to be followed?

It isn’t any different and I’m all for it.

I’m not a big gun guy. Have had a shotgun for many many years and about 2-3 years ago I bought an AR-15 and 9MM handgun. I was surprised at how easy it was to acquire those, especially the AR, and the fact that they didn’t need to be registered in any form. It was a private sale with the transfer taking place with a licensed dealer. Simply had to submit my name for the Federal background check. I’m not worried about me :D but it just shouldn’t be that easy for people to acquire a weapon like that. It should be more difficult and intrusive than registering to vote. And I believe there needs to be a stated need, licensing and training involved. All I ever did was take a hunter safety course in Nebraska over 40 years ago. Really that shouldn’t qualify me to own that AR, imo.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It isn’t any different and I’m all for it.

I’m not a big gun guy. Have had a shotgun for many many years and about 2-3 years ago I bought an AR-15 and 9MM handgun. I was surprised at how easy it was to acquire those, especially the AR, and the fact that they didn’t need to be registered in any form. It was a private sale with the transfer taking place with a licensed dealer. Simply had to submit my name for the Federal background check. I’m not worried about me :D but it just shouldn’t be that easy for people to acquire a weapon like that. It should be more difficult and intrusive than registering to vote. And I believe there needs to be a stated need, licensing and training involved. All I ever did was take a hunter safety course in Nebraska over 40 years ago. Really that shouldn’t qualify me to own that AR, imo.

We had a 10 page application just to adopt our dog.... 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2