There is No Place Like Nebraska ... Except When We Play on the Road

Riley's building of the NU brand and ability to win games this year will have more to do with traveling then the price of corn.

Not sure one can make a rational argument that Riley is 'building the NU brand" ? The brand was long ago established and is what it is for the most part. I don't think it can be 'rebranded' easily and that is a long term (decades IMO) process. I don't think it should be rebranded. There is nothing wrong with the brand. It needs a little polish and shining up but it is just fine. We have one of the best brands in all of football. May need a little promotion and advertising - even Coca Cola must continually promote its name and keep its brand in front of the consuming public's eyes.

But "building" is certainly overkill in my view.

As for traveling, I don't see a lot of traveling this fall as the away games are going to hard tickets to start with. The easy tickets are the home games. Husker fans travel to see a great game if tickets can be had and or to see a great NU team. Likely neither available this fall. Let's hope we can find enough fans to travel to Lincoln and fill the stadium for the home games.

• Fire 2

Corn stays below $4 Nebraska fans wont be traveling that much.

Not trying to be a jerk, but what percentage of Nebraskans livelihoods are actually tied to the price of corn?

Every dollar in agricultural exports generates $1.27 in economic activities such as transportation, nancing, warehousing and production. Nebraskas $7.2 billion in agricultural exports in 2014 translates into $9.2 billion in additional economic activity.

1 in 4 jobs in Nebraska is related to agriculture.

Found this. Not sure if it's what your looking for

That NU / ND game - My wife and I were at the Okla Corn Husker club wt well over 200 other fans watching that game - I think it was closer to 250. When the game came on we all erupted in spontaneous applause when we saw the sea of Red - instant solidarity wt those fans at the game. It was a great feeling.

Corn stays below $4 Nebraska fans wont be traveling that much.

Not trying to be a jerk, but what percentage of Nebraskans livelihoods are actually tied to the price of corn?

Commodity groups cash receipts - 2004

Product Group Value ($1,000) % State total State rank

All commodities 11,779,728 100.0% 4

Livestock & livestock products 7,338,183 62.3% 3

Crops 4,441,546 37.7% 7

Source: USDA:Economic Research Service

Found this. Not sure if it's what your looking for

I understand that the state of Nebraska is key to the entire US agricultural statistics. My comment had more to do with the overall percentage of Nebraskans livelihoods' which are dependent on agriculture.

I grew up in Omaha. My parents didn't work in agriculture, and their companies weren't dependent on the agriculture industry, where even a major dip in the price of corn would have a deep impact on our income. I would say that my family was like 80-90% of the families in Omaha and Lincoln (the 2 major metropolitan areas in Nebraska). Omaha and Lincoln metro areas have a combined population of 1.2M people, which is 63% of the entire 1.9M population of Nebraska. So, if 80% of that Omaha & Lincoln population isn't dependent on agriculture, that's already 50% of the entire population of the state that isn't solely dependent on agriculture.

So, then let's look at the 37% of the population outside of Omaha and Lincoln. Now, what % of that 37% are are solely dependent on the agriculture business? I understand that the economies of smaller towns/cities in Nebraska are dependent on agriculture. But, how much does the economy dry up when corn prices? Yes, there is probably less spending on non-essential items, but I would think that people who run essential businesses still do okay. Also, looking at historical corn futures, it looks like corn farmers made a killing in 2012-2014 when prices peaked.

I don't know, this is all just theoretical, but I would be interested in understanding the overall percentage of Nebraskans have their livelihoods dependent on the agriculture business.

I understand that the state of Nebraska is key to the entire US agricultural statistics. My comment had more to do with the overall percentage of Nebraskans livelihoods' which are dependent on agriculture.

I grew up in Omaha. My parents didn't work in agriculture, and their companies weren't dependent on the agriculture industry, where even a major dip in the price of corn would have a deep impact on our income. I would say that my family was like 80-90% of the families in Omaha and Lincoln (the 2 major metropolitan areas in Nebraska). Omaha and Lincoln metro areas have a combined population of 1.2M people, which is 63% of the entire 1.9M population of Nebraska. So, if 80% of that Omaha & Lincoln population isn't dependent on agriculture, that's already 50% of the entire population of the state that isn't solely dependent on agriculture.

So, then let's look at the 37% of the population outside of Omaha and Lincoln. Now, what % of that 37% are are solely dependent on the agriculture business? I understand that the economies of smaller towns/cities in Nebraska are dependent on agriculture. But, how much does the economy dry up when corn prices? Yes, there is probably less spending on non-essential items, but I would think that people who run essential businesses still do okay. Also, looking at historical corn futures, it looks like corn farmers made a killing in 2012-2014 when prices peaked.

I don't know, this is all just theoretical, but I would be interested in understanding the overall percentage of Nebraskans have their livelihoods dependent on the agriculture business.

1 in 4 jobs in Nebraska is Ag related. Not sure what percentage is linked directly to corn