Top Rushing Offenses of the Last 20 Years

Yeah, I used those same numbers....and GEEZ, wtf happened in 2005?

No offensive line of any kind.

Without doing any research, I'm gonna guess sacks played a big role in this number. Wasn't this Zac Taylor's first year as NU's starter. He was the least mobile NU QB I can remember.

A total of 38 sacks given up for 253 yards.

But, if you look at the following year in 2006, the team gave up only eight fewer sacks while increasing their rushing attempts from 420 to 554 and their YPC from 2.7 to 4.3. Rushing TD's also increased from 10 to 27.

I think sacks played a role, but when looking at the numbers, I don't think it was a significant contributing factor.

• Fire 2

It's hard to blame Riley and Co. for not running the ball more in 2015 if they thought T. Newby was our best option ( Although many fans have argued that he might not have been). You would have to think if they had a guy like Ameer/Rex/Roy they would have surely given them the ball more then they did our current stock of backs. I see why they did what they did. Give the ball to Newby/Cross, or one of the better WR groups in the conference?

I'm not convinced the 223.1 figure for Nebraska is accurate, and Georgia Tech's 235 average seems pretty modest for a rushing leader.

I took my stats off Huskers.com which includes bowl games. Perhaps their numbers didn't include them.

FWIW I believe the NCAA started including bowl game stats in 2001

• Fire 1

Really is a suprise to me that we still rank that high with only 223 ypg. No doubt if you added back about half the sack yards lost to all those seasons of trying to be "Air Nebraska" with Callahan and a few subsequent seasons including last year, we'd gain another 20 or more yards per game and become the top rushing team, despite not having the kind of power rushing attack that we (nearly all of us I think) believe we really want and need. We need to run the ball for somewhere around 300 ypg to win at the high level we desire. Run for 300 and 5.0 or higher ypc and pass for 200 more with a 55% completion rate and keep turnovers under 2 per game and takeaways around 3 per game. Keep penalties less than 6 per game for under 50 yards. We will win many games and bring trophies back to Lincoln. All easier said than done but those are the target numbers we should game plan and offense and defense scheme for.

It's hard to blame Riley and Co. for not running the ball more in 2015 if they thought T. Newby was our best option ( Although many fans have argued that he might not have been). You would have to think if they had a guy like Ameer/Rex/Roy they would have surely given them the ball more then they did our current stock of backs. I see why they did what they did. Give the ball to Newby/Cross, or one of the better WR groups in the conference?

Wasn't newby's production ahead of where Ameer (and maybe Rex) were at similar points in their careers?

Point being, if he'd been developed and utilized like those two were, maybe he would have been more productive this year.

We miss Ron Brown.