Banker Looks to Limit Explosive Plays

For as much hand wringing there is on HB about the offense, this season is going to hinge on the defense.

We can't allow mediocre QBs to throw for 300+ on us (I'm looking at you Mitch Liedner and Joel Stave). We can't allow teams to move the ball at will against us in the final 2 minutes of a game (BYU, So Miss, Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern). We can't allow crappy teams to run the same play 10 times and gain 20 each time.

I hope that we see some addition by subtraction on the DL. I hope that the coaching change in the secondary pays off. I hope that Lamar Jackson is the 2nd coming of Deion Sanders. I hope that the LBs stay healthy all year and take a step forward. But I remain skeptical until live action hits in September.

Uhhhhh, two NFL draft picks later and you hope for addition by subtraction? What?

I want to let it be known that I'm for addition by addition .....or multiplication even.

• Fire 1

hotels_2.png?itok=c6oMTcIG

"Trying to limit big plays on defense is probably a good idea" - Capt. Obvious

I'm excited to hear that they will try to stop the big plays because stopping the little plays is so boring.

​Actually what I've seen is not much luck stopping the intermediate, chain moving plays. I think they should NOT, let me stress NOT, get 8 yards a play every time they throw the ball. That's just me.....maybe I'm a stickler for stopping drives??

Uhhhhh, two NFL draft picks later and you hope for addition by subtraction? What?

I want to let it be known that I'm for addition by addition .....or multiplication even.

Great comments.

This board is starting to come alive again.

YAY !!!!!!!!

After explains we need to limit big plays, he proceeded to explain the keys to his defense. I'll quote it for you:

"What-What happens is, the-the-the centre has-has the ball first. And-And-And the quarterback will say, "Hike." That's when the c-center puts the ball in-into the hands of the quarterback. So what [we] do is, [wes] start tacklin' the quarterback, unless he give the ball to-to s-somebody else, in which case, [wes] try to tackle that person."

• Fire 2

For as much hand wringing there is on HB about the offense, this season is going to hinge on the defense.

We can't allow mediocre QBs to throw for 300+ on us (I'm looking at you Mitch Liedner and Joel Stave). We can't allow teams to move the ball at will against us in the final 2 minutes of a game (BYU, So Miss, Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern). We can't allow crappy teams to run the same play 10 times and gain 20 each time.

I hope that we see some addition by subtraction on the DL. I hope that the coaching change in the secondary pays off. I hope that Lamar Jackson is the 2nd coming of Deion Sanders. I hope that the LBs stay healthy all year and take a step forward. But I remain skeptical until live action hits in September.

Isn't being a fan hoping that the guys who replace the previous years starters are better (even if facts tell you otherwise)?

No that is just being a homer with blinders on.

The change in DL coach might be a bigger impact.

This might be the single biggest impact this year. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

All of this 'addition by subtraction' talk on the D-Line seems weird to me considering we were in the Top 10 nationally in rush defense.

That stat is a bit of a mirage. Our YPC allowed was in the 30's, and we faced the least amount of rushes in the entire country. We also ranked in the 50's in Rushing TD's allowed. Bill C's preview on NU will be out next week, and I'm sure he'll show it better via numbers, but NU ranked so high in rush D because teams bombed all over us through the air.

• Fire 2

All of this 'addition by subtraction' talk on the D-Line seems weird to me considering we were in the Top 10 nationally in rush defense.

Sure, we were top 10 in rush yards/game. But we were 32nd in yards/rush. Still not too bad. We also had the fewest rush attempts/game against us.

But the pass rush was non-existent. We were 79th in sacks/game. And 83rd in tackles for loss/game.

• Fire 2

Sure, we were top 10 in rush yards/game. But we were 32nd in yards/rush. Still not too bad. We also had the fewest rush attempts/game against us.

But the pass rush was non-existent. We were 79th in sacks/game. And 83rd in tackles for loss/game.

Yes, we had a pretty good run defense and our pass rush was mediocre or less which put too much pressure on our secondary and that led to far too many successful pass plays against us. This led inevitably to few punt returns as team punted us deep into our own territory and forced far too many fair catches by Westercamp etal because the high risk to returns too close to our own end zone. And, too many successful pass plays put our opponents into or near our red zone and those possessions will, over the long haul, lead to far to many points given up. A weak pass rush also contributed to the subpar interceptions and fumble recoveries by our D as well. Disrupting the backfield is the single best way to 'create turnovers' by making handoffs riskier and forcing the QB into passing errors and to deflected balls and poor decisions generally. Hitting the QB quicker means less time to throw which means less time to maintain tighter coverages aiding the secondary. A great defense as we all know is the sum of its parts and when any part(s) are subpar, the opponents will naturally tend to want to take advantage. Sometimes you can hide and conceal these weaknesses, especially early in the season when opposing coaches may still be unaware of the weak links, etc. Nate Gerry is a difference maker most of the time. Opponents will attack the substitutes who replace starters as it is only to be expected that injuries and replacements are not as good as the starters.

I'm excited to hear that they will try to stop the big plays because stopping the little plays is so boring.

​Actually what I've seen is not much luck stopping the intermediate, chain moving plays. I think they should NOT, let me stress NOT, get 8 yards a play every time they throw the ball. That's just me.....maybe I'm a stickler for stopping drives??

Great comments.

YAY !!!!!!!!

If people are so bored with the subject, why are you wasting your time reading it?

Yes, we had a pretty good run defense and our pass rush was mediocre or less which put too much pressure on our secondary and that led to far too many successful pass plays against us. This led inevitably to few punt returns as team punted us deep into our own territory and forced far too many fair catches by Westercamp etal because the high risk to returns too close to our own end zone. And, too many successful pass plays put our opponents into or near our red zone and those possessions will, over the long haul, lead to far to many points given up. A weak pass rush also contributed to the subpar interceptions and fumble recoveries by our D as well. Disrupting the backfield is the single best way to 'create turnovers' by making handoffs riskier and forcing the QB into passing errors and to deflected balls and poor decisions generally. Hitting the QB quicker means less time to throw which means less time to maintain tighter coverages aiding the secondary. A great defense as we all know is the sum of its parts and when any part(s) are subpar, the opponents will naturally tend to want to take advantage. Sometimes you can hide and conceal these weaknesses, especially early in the season when opposing coaches may still be unaware of the weak links, etc. Nate Gerry is a difference maker most of the time. Opponents will attack the substitutes who replace starters as it is only to be expected that injuries and replacements are not as good as the starters.

Yes, we had a pretty good run defense and our pass rush was mediocre or less which put too much pressure on our secondary and that led to far too many successful pass plays against us. This led inevitably to few punt returns as team punted us deep into our own territory and forced far too many fair catches by Westercamp etal because the high risk to returns too close to our own end zone. And, too many successful pass plays put our opponents into or near our red zone and those possessions will, over the long haul, lead to far to many points given up.

A weak pass rush also contributed to the subpar interceptions and fumble recoveries by our D as well. Disrupting the backfield is the single best way to 'create turnovers' by making handoffs riskier and forcing the QB into passing errors and to deflected balls and poor decisions generally. Hitting the QB quicker means less time to throw which means less time to maintain tighter coverages aiding the secondary.

A great defense as we all know is the sum of its parts and when any part(s) are subpar, the opponents will naturally tend to want to take advantage. Sometimes you can hide and conceal these weaknesses, especially early in the season when opposing coaches may still be unaware of the weak links, etc. Nate Gerry is a difference maker most of the time. Opponents will attack the substitutes who replace starters as it is only to be expected that injuries and replacements are not as good as the starters.

• Fire 1

Great comments.

YAY !!!!!!!!

If people are so bored with the subject, why are you wasting your time reading it?

Because there's more truth in their comments than there is in the other comments being made.

The whole "addition by subtraction" thing is nonsense and these people realized it and called it out.

These are smart fans.. and I applaud comments from smart fans.

Not year one. It will definitely down the road but from what I heard the guy say. There's a learning curve. It's not just going to happen overnight.