Where do you stand?

Our Staff  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Briles, Patterson, Spurrier and Snyder took over much, much lower tier teams, so it's not really comparable.

Only reason I included them was because of cm's addition of "regardless of what they inherit". I just thought it was a silly statement in an otherwise good post.

Briles, Patterson, Spurrier and Snyder took over much, much lower tier teams, so it's not really comparable.

Only reason I included them was because of cm's addition of "regardless of what they inherit". I just thought it was a silly statement in an otherwise good post.

ah, gotcha.

The timing of this poll effects the results. I am indifferent. However I would of been hate after last season and the dismal results. Excuses excuses excuses. However we are all hopeful this is the year it clicks. Why dont we re-do this poll after the first 2-3 losses?

Also the wording. I hate them going in but I am not willing to say I want them gone if they win a Big 10 title or a national title. Results are what matter. I could give a crap if the head coach is Bozo or Mr. Rogers I just want a winning team.

If results dont matter to most of you why dont we hire the real Mr. Rogers he will have great press conferences and have the most beloved coach of all time. (beside the fact he is dead)

• Fire 1

I selected "like them" but the descriptors for indifferent and don't like them also fit. I just need to see it proven that they are capable of not costing us games, manage the clock, develop and adjust an offensive game plan, etc. I am excited about the recruiting and they seem to be saying the right things. But if they have more time management issues or treat TA like he's Peyton Manning......I'll tumble to the lowest category on this poll quickly.

I'm with the majority for the most part:

"Like them." -- He's a hard guy to dislike.

"It's refreshing to see an uptick in recruiting and morale." - who wouldn't like those things?

"Futures bright." - /meh This one I'm not so sure about. I'm always overly pessimistic about my beloved Nebraska football. It's a defense mechanism against bad outcomes, but even I didn't see last season getting as bad as it did. We were 2-4 the first half of the season, with Mich. State, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern still on the schedule. Sure it trended upward towards the end, but I'm still sore from that rough start. So no future outcome would surprise me at this point esp. after last season.

I feel about Riley the same way I did about Doc Sadler. I REALLY liked Doc Sadler as a guy, as a person. Rooted for him, wanted to see him succeed. Same deal with Miles, love the guy but he's running out of rope in the results department. I could see me never stopping liking Riley even during a potential ousting press conference.

Plus, Patterson was an assistant under francione and promoted from within wasn't he? Not really analogous.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is really disagreeing here. Good coaches win immediately, at the very least within the second year. We need to see real improvement from Riley and his staff, particularly regarding in game management.

This is the biggest concern I have. Riley struggled with game management at Oregon State, and he struggled last year at NU. The guy has been a head coach for ~20 years. I don't think he is all of a sudden going to improve in that area. He is basically who he is.
Agreed. I posted it a while back, but Hail Varsity did a great article in their yearbook on the importance of year 2, and how telling it is to success.

Basically, if we don't make a huge jump this year, than chances of ever being relevant under the current regime is very small.

Well it depends on your definition of "huge."

We definitely have the talent to win more than 6 games this season, but it wouldn't be shocking or unacceptable if our mercurial quarterback was not as good as Riley's hand-picked successor, or if an already suspect defense that lost its veteran leadership still needed time and talent to become championship-worthy.

A third season would be largely reliant on Riley recruits and two years into his style and system and assistant coaching adjustments. Let's see how that looks before deciding we would never be relevant again.

• Fire 1

Plus, Patterson was an assistant under francione and promoted from within wasn't he? Not really analogous.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is really disagreeing here. Good coaches win immediately, at the very least within the second year. We need to see real improvement from Riley and his staff, particularly regarding in game management.

This is the biggest concern I have. Riley struggled with game management at Oregon State, and he struggled last year at NU. The guy has been a head coach for ~20 years. I don't think he is all of a sudden going to improve in that area. He is basically who he is.
Agreed. I posted it a while back, but Hail Varsity did a great article in their yearbook on the importance of year 2, and how telling it is to success.

Basically, if we don't make a huge jump this year, than chances of ever being relevant under the current regime is very small.

Well it depends on your definition of "huge."

We definitely have the talent to win more than 6 games this season, but it wouldn't be shocking or unacceptable if our mercurial quarterback was not as good as Riley's hand-picked successor, or if an already suspect defense that lost its veteran leadership still needed time and talent to become championship-worthy.

A third season would be largely reliant on Riley recruits and two years into his style and system and assistant coaching adjustments. Let's see how that looks before deciding we would never be relevant again.

If I'm reading correctly, the post says "relevant under the current regime"......which hopefully doesn't equate to "never be relevant again".

Thus far, Riley is who his resume' says he is.

• Fire 1

As Nebraska fans we haven't really had any experience first hand with a standard transition period. From Bob to TO it was fairly seamless and eventually paid off in the long run. TO to Frank was also seamless, but the results weren't as comfortable for the fans since the game had changed quite a bit since the last coach change.

Frank to Cally was our first taste of a real transition, problem was we hired a Pro coach instead of a Collegiate Coach. Cally to Bo was where we got a taste of how a transition "should" go. In reality, we got spoiled because of a handful of guys that shined in a system better suited for the Big 12.

Now, we are experiencing a transition how much of the rest of the country experiences them. It's not smooth and it can be quite infuriating. But we can't do anything about it. We just have to hope it ends soon and the direction we have been pointed was one without a ceiling that we became accustomed to.

As Nebraska fans we haven't really had any experience first hand with a standard transition period. From Bob to TO it was fairly seamless and eventually paid off in the long run. TO to Frank was also seamless, but the results weren't as comfortable for the fans since the game had changed quite a bit since the last coach change.

Frank to Cally was our first taste of a real transition, problem was we hired a Pro coach instead of a Collegiate Coach. Cally to Bo was where we got a taste of how a transition "should" go. In reality, we got spoiled because of a handful of guys that shined in a system better suited for the Big 12.

Now, we are experiencing a transition how much of the rest of the country experiences them. It's not smooth and it can be quite infuriating. But we can't do anything about it. We just have to hope it ends soon and the direction we have been pointed was one without a ceiling that we became accustomed to.

Did we lose many recruits in the Osborne/Solich transition? How about the Solich/Callahan transition? (Honest questions--I don't remember.) I know we lost a bunch of recruits in the Callahan/Pelini transition. We didn't lose very many going from Pelini to Riley.

Did we lose many recruits in the Osborne/Solich transition? How about the Solich/Callahan transition? (Honest questions--I don't remember.) I know we lost a bunch of recruits in the Callahan/Pelini transition. We didn't lose very many going from Pelini to Riley.

I couldn't honestly tell you, 2005-2006 is where my fandom started kicking into full gear.

Your last paragraph: how do you figure? Lots of teams hire a new coach and win as much or more than they did the previous year.

I'm so sick of the "ceiling discussion" mainly because that's people argued TO had right before he went on arguably the greatest run in CFB history.

If Riley wins 9 or 10 games each of the next four seasons, I really hope we don't fire him because of a perceived "ceiling."

We had the 14th ranked recruiting class when frank was fired and we lost a number of those guys. We also lost a number of guys who were highly interested/committed to the previous staff. I'd have to go back to the lists, though. As I recall, NU had a top 25 class when Pelini was fired and it finished outside of 30th.

I couldn't honestly tell you, 2005-2006 is where my fandom started kicking into full gear.

Interesting

Interesting

Gee? Only a fan for about the past 10 years? I would say that is awfully young to offer to many comments on the program's historical basis or in comparing coaches and teams and etc from the past 40 years. Most of the discussions about how a coach or team is doing as compared with Pelini, Callahan, Solich, Os, etc are pretty hard to say much if you weren't around to experience them first hand. Just my opinion.

Interesting

Gee? Only a fan for about the past 10 years? I would say that is awfully young to offer to many comments on the program's historical basis or in comparing coaches and teams and etc from the past 40 years. Most of the discussions about how a coach or team is doing as compared with Pelini, Callahan, Solich, Os, etc are pretty hard to say much if you weren't around to experience them first hand. Just my opinion.

You're entitled to that.