How many NCs should NU claim?

Good offseason fodder:

Been thinking about this since I saw the news last week that just Kentucky claimed the 1950 NC. It seems that a lot of schools "claim" NCs for years that are questionable, mainly in the SEC (looking at you Alabama), but others do as well (Ohio St and Texas both claim 1970).

So how many titles should NU claim? Just the 5?

Wiki says that we can claim 11 if we want:

1970, 1971

1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984

1993, 1994, 1995, 1997

It's too bad that we weren't at the top of our game in the 30s/40s/50s so we could go 9-1 and "claim" an NC.

• Fire 1

Just the five from the major selectors. We have arguably the best claim to all of the five official titles we claim, and while we could claim others, there are better arguments for other teams than Nebraska. The stretch from 1980-1984 would be silly to claim titles from, for example. However, give us a playoff in those years and I'll bet Nebraska gets at least one title in that span. Lots of things change in a playoff. You get more film, players get banged up, etc.

I don't understand how anyone could have chosen Nebraska in 1983 or 1993. We lost both of those on the field. Those are no-brainers.

• Fire 2

Back to 1970:

Ohio St, Texas, and Nebraska all claim a NC.

Ohio St: 9-1, lost the Rose Bowl 27-17 to #12 Stanford, #1 in NFF poll

Texas : 10-1, lost to Cotton Bowl to 24-11 to #6 Notre Dame, #1 in UPI and NFF poll

Nebraska: 11-0-1, tied #3 USC on the road, won Sugar Bowl 17-12 over #5 LSU, #1 in AP and FWAA polls

I woulf love to see some of those trophies that Alabama claims rights to. Do half of them even exist or are they sitting in a different state?

Not Alabama, but Kentucky just had this one made to show off in their new athletics center

kentucky-1950-trophy.png

Something tells me they wouldn't have been handing out something that looks like the Sears trophy back in 1950/51. That's just stupid. At least make it time period so it would be at least 1% believable.

I don't understand how anyone could have chosen Nebraska in 1983 or 1993. We lost both of those on the field. Those are no-brainers.

Probably thinking interms of regular season record, the same way many of the other schools claim them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. NC's are overrated. Just get W's. That's all you have control over. I realize the debate is what makes CFB special, and I realized their is a playoff now, but that just pushes the argument down two spots. On the other end of the spectrum NCAA BBALL has what? 68 spots? I doubt the best team rarely actually wins. It's just random at that point.

Good offseason fodder:

Been thinking about this since I saw the news last week that just Kentucky claimed the 1950 NC. It seems that a lot of schools "claim" NCs for years that are questionable, mainly in the SEC (looking at you Alabama), but others do as well (Ohio St and Texas both claim 1970).

So how many titles should NU claim? Just the 5?

Wiki says that we can claim 11 if we want:

1970, 1971

1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984

1993, 1994, 1995, 1997

It's too bad that we weren't at the top of our game in the 30s/40s/50s so we could go 9-1 and "claim" an NC.

Nebraska went

9-0 in 1902

10-0 in 1903

8-0 in 1913

7-0-1 in 1914

8-0 in 1915

And went undefeated in The team's very first season.. of course it was only a two game schedule in 1890.

So we could claim at least 17 if we were so inclined. But then we would be as pathetic as those schools that do claim titles like that. So lets not do that.

• Fire 2

I woulf love to see some of those trophies that Alabama claims rights to. Do half of them even exist or are they sitting in a different state?

Not Alabama, but Kentucky just had this one made to show off in their new athletics center

kentucky-1950-trophy.png

Something tells me they wouldn't have been handing out something that looks like the Sears trophy back in 1950/51. That's just stupid. At least make it time period so it would be at least 1% believable.
It would probably be like a plaque title out of wood. Something that was cheaper to make than whatever the 1970 trophy is made of.